In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

VALUE OF FIREARM

ANDY99ANDY99 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I HAVE A COLT 45 SER# 166310 NICKLE PLATE 5.5 BARREL BAKELITE GRIPS IN GOOD CONDITION NICKLE PLATE IS WORN DONT KNOW YEAR SINGLE ACTION ARMY REVOLVER POSSIBLY 1898 ON CASE BY TRIGGER IT SAYS PAT.SEPT.19.187 BELOW THAT IT SAYS JULY2 72 JAN 19.7

Comments

• ANDY99ANDY99 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAVE INHEARITED A FIRE ARM THAT HAS BEEN IN MY FAMILY EVER SINCE IT WAS PURCHASED BY MY GREAT GRAND FATHER. IT IS A WINCHESTER 40-65 CALIBER IM NOT LOOKING TO SELL I NEED INFO FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES. IS THERE ANY ONE THAT CAN HELP ME??
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    A Colt WHAT? Single action, double-action, semi-auto? What model? .45LC or .45ACP? You need to give a FULL AND DETAILED description including all markings and where located. Pictures would definitely be beneficial. It's like saying "I have a Dodge with a 6 cylinder engine. What's it worth?"
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ANDY99
    I HAVE A COLT 45 SER# 166310 NICKLE PLATE 5.5 BARREL BAKELITE GRIPS IN GOOD CONDITION NICKLE PLATE IS WORN DONT KNOW YEAR SINGLE ACTION ARMY REVOLVER POSSIBLY 1898 ON CASE BY TRIGGER IT SAYS PAT.SEPT.19.187 BELOW THAT IT SAYS JULY2 72 JAN 19.7

Ok, that third date should be Jan 19.75 indicating 1875. The grips should be hard rubber, not bakelite. Do they have the "Rampant Colt" at the top? Is there an eagle on the bottom or just the Colt? Take them off and see if the serial number is scratched on the inside and if it matches the other numbers. You have a Colt Single Action Army manufactured in 1896. It may have an original 5.5" barrel or it may have originally been a 7.5" that was refurbished for the Army (known as an "Artillery" model), although it should have walnut grips. Is the cylinder pin held in by a screw in the very front of the frame or dies it have a spring-loaded pin going in from the side of the frame? Does it have any "US" markings on the side of the frame near the patent dates? Do you see any initials stamped on it anywhere including the cylinder? What are the markings on top of the barrel? It may be factory nickel or done later. Pictures would really be helpful before we suggest you get a factory letter from Colt. How is the condition?
  • ANDY99ANDY99 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JUST COLT ON GRIP CONDITION IS GOOD ACTION IS TITE HAS SCREW BY CYLIDER NO INITIALS WAS OWNED BY JESSE BURNETT LAST TIME FIRED 1922
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ANDY99
    JUST COLT ON GRIP CONDITION IS GOOD ACTION IS TITE HAS SCREW BY CYLIDER NO INITIALS WAS OWNED BY JESSE BURNETT LAST TIME FIRED 1922

If the cylinder screw is in the front, it was made for BLACK POWDER ONLY. Do NOT attempt to fire modern smokeless rounds in it unless you have too many fingers and eyes.

I don't know who Jesse Burnett is (unless you mean the professional boxer) but you can get the factory records from Colt at http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/historical.asp for $150+ if you're so inclined.