In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1873

isutoadisutoad Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have found a 1873 22short, however, it
can be converted to shoot longs with the
movement of a bullet stop located on the side
of the block.
The gun operates well, the finish is better
than 50% and the wood is ok.
Is this gun really rare? What is it worth?
any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• isutoadisutoad Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When did winchester stop making the 1873?
    edited November -1
    I was looking at some Winchesters in the model 1873, they have descriptions of second and third models....What does this mean ?
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    I am interested it the value of my Model 1873 24" oct barrel serial #399960 condition is very good. Thanks in advance for any help.
    edited November -1
    I have a 1873 Winchester serial number 213027 B. I understand the B thing but how do I tell what variation it is? I have a couple of screws that have been turned and the parts house said the screws I need are different according to the model variation.
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester 1873 in 22 cal. The problem that I'm having is when you cycle the lever forward, it binds on the return. If you manually push down on the brass elevator about 1/2 " the lever returns to the closed position without a problem. This binding happens at just when the lever is just starting to return. The gun has been dismantled and cleaned and still the problem occurs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks - bertman
    edited November -1
    Hello all Hope the new is treating you all good.
    I have a 1873 first yr.that someone along the way cut a another dove tail into. what alloy filler rod would be needed to tig up the one and still rust blue properly?
    thanks kevin
    charles your approach seems to sound the best i'll run a few samples first then decide.
    edited November -1
    hello all first . i have a first model 73 needing a firing pin retractor. numrich has none. i can machine one if any one has the correct dimensions for one if not trial and error i suppose? also would just carbon steel be ok? thanks kevin
    edited November -1
    Could someone please tell me the correct diameter of an original 1873 cleaning rod. Is there any other way to tell if they are original. Thank You
    edited November -1
    My old gunsmith passed away and need a new one in the Des Moines Iowa area to work on a Winchester 1873 44-40. May need parts also. Do not want to pay the cost of the gun to get it fixed. Might be willing to ship it to someone if I could talk to them first. Thank you in advance.
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has a Winchester 1873 that belonged to his Father and asked me to see what I could find out about them. So far this one seems to have been made in 1883 based on its serial number - 126XXX. I also think that it is a 44-40 caliber since it has no caliber markings on it. The auctions for one in this condition seem to be $1500 to $2000? Is this information about right?
    Were these Guns designed for a black powder cartridge?
    Is it safe to shoot modern ammo in it?
    It appears to have an adjustable trigger. Does this add any value?
    Any information or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!
    Martin

10550A.jpg
    10570.jpg
    10564.jpg
    10569.jpg
    10565.jpg
    edited November -1
    I just received a Winchester Model 1873 as a gift. It is a 44-40 with an octagon barrel. The serial number is 474694B. I would guess it is in very good condition. Any Winchester experts out there that could give me a ballpark figure as to it's worth?
    Without the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!
    edited November -1
    Looking for a manual for the assembly/disassembly for a Win. Mod.1873, or anything that would show me how to. I tried Cornell publications and all they could provide is a exploded diagram.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Frank
    edited November -1
    HAS ANYONE SEEN A 73 MUSKET WITH THE RIGHT SIDE MOUNTED BAYONET LUG FOR THE YATAGAN SWORD TYPE BAYONET ? THANKS,J P
    edited November -1
    I picked up a rifle today, just the receiver and round barrel. Nothing special, no other parts. No lower tang, so no serial number.

I thought I might start looking for parts and re-assemble. Just a project.

Is there an easy way to tell which of the three types the receiver is ?
    edited November -1
    I am looking for good right and left link parts for the Winchester 1873 -- When I find them they must be made of gold. I would like someone to give me the idea where I can get them reasonably and has any one ever had the existing links reworked at a machine shop?
    edited November -1
    Hello

I have an old 1873 Winchester (3rd model....44-40) that I'm trying to buy parts for, including a magazine tube. The barrel is 25" from where it enters the magazine. It has not been cut. The literaure talks about 24" and 26" and 28" barrels. Which is this? I need a magazine tube and a rear sight for it, but all of the original ones I can find are 23 5/8". Will this work? Can anyone help here?

Thanks

Jim
    edited November -1
    Hello

I inhereted a Winchester 1873. Unfortunately, it had a sawed off magazine tube. I have been fortunate enought to find a replacement magazine tube (at a small fortune). Now I need the piece that connects the tube to the barrel (near the front site). Can anyone tell me what this piece is called and where i might get one?

Thanks

Jim
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are .234" diameter. The slot was stamped in and not milled in. They made perfect repos years ago and you can't tell them from real ones and I think Buffalo arms makes a good repo now.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg