In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1894

MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
have a old 1894 half round half octagon 25-1/4 inch barrel nickel plated receiver metal butt plate 30wcf ser 258172 sent for a letter form cody but didn't say much about it anyone know more about it thanks cdv

Comments

• MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just acquired a Win. Model 94, 925,164, Serial Number
    32 WS (32 Special?) 20" barrel, full length magazine and saddle ring. Bore is bright and rifle seems mechanically sound. Barrel and magazine blueing are 80 percent plus but on blue remaining on lever and receiver is around saddle ring and a few other "protected places". Steel butt plate has number 92 on underside and stock is stamped the same beneath. Marble front sight and Lyman tang on rear. Unsure if forward hole for tang sight is factory or after sale. Prior owner was considering reblueing which I advised against assuming this would not help the value. Interested in your opinion. Assuming shoots safely and with reasonable accuracy I'll be using for some deer hunting this fall. Any idea about when it was made and what approximate value might be?
    Thanks,
    Rob

Rob
    edited November -1
    Just acquired a Win. Model 94, 925,164, Serial Number
    32 WS (32 Special?) 20" barrel, full length magazine and saddle ring. Bore is bright and rifle seems mechanically sound. Barrel and magazine blueing are 80 percent plus but on blue remaining on lever and receiver is around saddle ring and a few other "protected places". Steel butt plate has number 92 on underside and stock is stamped the same beneath. Marble front sight and Lyman tang on rear. Unsure if forward hole for tang sight is factory or after sale. Prior owner was considering reblueing which I advised against assuming this would not help the value. Interested in your opinion. Assuming shoots safely and with reasonable accuracy I'll be using for some deer hunting this fall. Any idea about when it was made and what approximate value might be?
    Thanks,
    Rob

Rob
    edited November -1
    Please date ser. # 10094 Thanks Jeff K.
    edited November -1
    I recentlly aquired this rifle and would like to know the history and when it was made.The serial # is 325419.It also has the saddle ring and the back sight folds down.Any help is appriciated.
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a 1894 Winchester take down model made in 1907. The back sight has 3 different flips up. Would this be the correct sight. Thank You
    edited November -1
    What could one expect a ballpark valu to be on an above average 1894 winchester 30/30 round barrel mfg in 1919?
    edited November -1
    hi could you give me some idea of what my gun is worth..i have had it for 30 yrs,i bought it at an auction..the serial number is 451795..the bluing is beautiful with a little pitting on the barrel.the barrel is 20 inches. the wood is very good and it has a metal butt cap..thanks,i am thinking bout selling as i could use money.
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Model 1894 I can't seem to find out anything about. The inscription is a 30 WCF which I know is a Winchester Center Fire. The problem I'm having is Winchester people say they didn't start making the gun's until 1901, but the serial number equates to the gun being made in 1894. Noone else I've tlaked to has ever heard of a serial number starting with "MX" before. The gun I have is serial number MX754.
    edited November -1
    is the winchester 1894 inter-changeable with 1892. i know the butt stocks are the same,or so i was told. but do the receiver parts fit both years.
    edited November -1
    I have inhereted my grandfather's 30-30 Winchester 1894 SRC (Circa 1920). The only thing missing is the little elevation bar and screw on the flip-up rear sight. What is the best way to replace it?

Thanks

jim
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester 1894 38-55 #57xxx can somebody tell me the year of this rifle
    edited November -1
    I have an old Winchester 1894 serial# 429964. I believe its a takedown model in 30wcf with a nickel steel barrel. Does anyone know anything else about this rifle? Date of mfg? Thanks
    edited November -1
    Hi. can some one help date a couple of winchester 1894 for me? No.1 1894 30w.c.f serial no. 73419 (rifle) No. 2 saddle ring carbine 1894 30 w.c.f. serial no. 857538. (perry shooter last fall i sent you and posted some photos of a 22 cal. luger i ended up posting them on the luger forum and everyone was intriged but to date still no I.D just thought i would let you know , if you still rember the gun) Thanks for any help with the winchesters.
    edited November -1
    Hi. Is the cartridge carrier spring the same in the new 94's as in the pre WW II 94's. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Can someone please tell me what I need to look for. My 1894 shoots fine but when it does the bolt comes back and the lever goes down. Its not violent, just pushes the lever down while Im holding it.
    edited November -1
    Winchester 1894 - My Grand fathers Winchester 1894 serial #1996XX was sent in to the Winchester company and converted into a 30-30 from a 38-55 several years ago. What would it take to convert it back?
  • GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wait for Bert H. he is our resident professional and collector of these fine rifles! im sure he will be along soon!
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello MrGunz22,

The DOM is circa 1912. If it is indeed a Takedown, that tells us that it is a special order Sporting Rifle, and worth at least a 50% premium. As for any additional information, I will first need a detailed description of it (or several clear pictures).
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Bert, Im almost positive its a takedown, I just haven't tried to take it down yet. Its in great shape i just dont want to damage it by not knowing what im doing. I took a few pics, i'll post them as soon as i figure out how. They'll be up today.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    Thanks for the info Bert, Im almost positive its a takedown, I just haven't tried to take it down yet. Its in great shape i just dont want to damage it by not knowing what im doing. I took a few pics, i'll post them as soon as i figure out how. They'll be up today.
    This thread will show you how to post pics: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Ive been trying for 3 days to post these bigger. I have a masters degree and cant figure out how to post pics. My dad would say money well spent
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    Ive been trying for 3 days to post these bigger. I have a masters degree and cant figure out how to post pics. My dad would say money well spentI edited your entry and went to your hosting site and from what I could see you were trying to link to thumbnails. Here are your pictures and you can look at the "reply with Quote" to this post to see what I entered. At your hosting site you needed to use the "Links to original image" area and copy the link titled "direct link to image".

2004647893577860776_rs.jpg

2004610059550931624_rs.jpg

2004669402191252163_rs.jpg

2004680441423450019_rs.jpg

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, the good news is that it is a special order Model 1894 (it appears to be an Extra Light Weight Sporting rifle), but the bad news is that it appears to be in rough condition. The rear sight is not original (or a Winchester sight), and the gun appears to have very little factory original finish left on it.

Please provide the following information;

1. Barrel length
    2. Butt plate composition (what is it made out of)
    3. Condition of the bore