In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 1890

joepoidogjoepoidog Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
I HAVE A WINCHESTER MODEL 90 THIRD MODEL IN .22WRF WITH A ROUND BARREL -NOT OCTAGON. THE SERIAL NUMBER IS 580417 ON BOTH THE LOWER TANG AND UNDER RECEIVER MAKING THE MANUFACTURE DATE 1917. I CAN FIND NO ROUND BARREL 1890 RIFLES IN .22WRF - IS THIS A REBARREL? WINCHESTER LOGO MARKS ARE BOTH ON BARREL AND RECEIVER IN PROPER LOCATION. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
VERN

Comments

• joepoidogjoepoidog Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a Winchester Model 1890 at a garage sale recently that was missing the magazine. It is one of the earlier models with an octagonal barrel and no take down screw. The serial #130XX indicates that it was made in 1892. The finish was not in great shape, but I cleaned it up, replaced the magazine with a new one, and now it shoots (.22 shorts) just fine. My question is whether it would be worth trying to find an older, used magazine to put it back into original condition, or just be happy with it hanging on my wall as is? I'm not trying to sell it, but if it's truly rare, it would be nice to know what its value is and whether it would be worth hunting down an older magazine. Any comments would be appreciated.
    edited November -1
    An 1890 that my great grandfather bought in 1906 when the rifle was manufactured is now in my hands. I am not looking to sell it but I would like to know more about it because it does not seem to fit the normal models, at least when looking in one gun value book. But I was hoping someone on here could help me out with the history of this gun and what it might be worth for insurance reasons.

It has a serial number in the 65k range. It has the original factory blued barrel and according to the gunsmith I took it to the condition is still greater than 60%. It has the octagonal barrel with the 15 round tube mag.

However the receiver does not seem to have been blued, or if it was there is none of it left. It was sitting in storage for several years and there was on rust on it.

It is chambered in .22 Long.

It also has a fixed rear sight.

The stock has the metal but plate on it, and all of it is still in very good condition. It looks very nice has never been re varnished but it does have some wear near the grip which is expected from a gun that was used to hunt squirrel for dinner on a regular occasion.

The rifle still fires and is very accurate.

Thanks for your time.
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Model 1890. 22 short. Octogon barrel. I believe it to be the First Model. Serial number is 9942. Does anyone out there have an idea as to what this gun is worth? I know that is a very broad question since there are many factors to consider. I'd like to sell it and need a starting point. Thanks!
    edited November -1
    We have come into possession of a Winchester Model 1890. It has the number 22 on the top rear of the BBL. Can anyone tell me which 22 this may be. I suspect that it is the 22 WRF but I am not sure. The serial # of the gun is 2023xx. Thanks Vic & Jane
    edited November -1
    could someone tell me the approx. value of winchester model 1890 22 short
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Model 1890 in .22 Short that is really a very, very nice old rifle, but it has been fooled with at some point in the past. By being fooled with I mean that the receiver and magazine do not retain any original finish, and if memory serves me right, the proof mark that had been on the receiver has been mostly, or totally, removed, but it does retain its sharp edges. The action is great as is the bore, and the original bluing on the barrel is excellent. The wood is excellent as well. I doubt that I'll ever shoot it, but I have a hankering to fix it up "to make it look really, really nice," without having to do a very expensive and complete Turnbull type restoration in order to get the metal finish to match up well on all pieces. Ideally, a top of the line reblue of the receiver and magazine tube to match the barrel blue finish that it now has which is original would be perfect, but can such a thing be done without having a receiver and magazine that looks newer than the barrel? I'd also need to have the buttplate refinished to match as well. I really would appreciate some guidance to this end. Also, I like scoped Winchesters, and since this rifle is no longer original, it would be a great piece to fit with a nice old Winchester A5 Scope, or a tang site for that matter. Any and all helpful replies will be greatly appreciated.
    edited November -1
    Can someone tell me what the difference is between the first, second and third model?
    edited November -1
    I was looking for a Winchester model 1890 and some guns were showing up as model 90. Are the model 90s the same as a model 1890. Thank You
    edited November -1
    Winchester model 1890 what is the value?

http://img714.imageshack.us

dsc0139jwi.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc01272mk.jpg

dsc0117ol.jpg

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Joe,

I only WISH that I could be so lucky and find a First Model 1890 in a garage sale!![:p].

All of the regular production Model 1890/90s were made with a 24-inch octagon barrel. If it were me, I would hunt down an original magazine tube. And yes, First Model 1890s are rare[:0].

I can't really say what your rifle might actually be worth, but it is extremely rare to find one in working condition for less than $1200. Condition of the factory finish is the primary factor in the value. All of the First Model 1890s were made with a case color hardened finish on the frame and butt plate. Can you post pictures of it?

Bert H.

Real Men use a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Joe
    I am just curious what you paid for it at the garage sale ?? I found one years ago at a sale. It was a basket case. I paid about $15. I put about $200 into it and now I have a nice 22 long shooter.
    Thanks,
    Pete
    Abort Cuomo
  • CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You just want to see Bert's head explode.

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
    edited November -1
    You guys are just being viciously cruel[}:)][:0][:D]

Bert H.

edited November -1
    You guys are going to hate me...I paid $5. One more question then, any idea where I might find a "proper" magazine? Thanks again for all your help. Joe
    edited November -1
    Holy CRAP! Only $5 freaking dollars!!! You should be arrested for Grand Theft[:0][;)]

I see original magazines on eBay on a regular basis. Any Model 1890 or Model 1906 magazine tube is correct for your ill-gotten rifle.

Bert H.

• wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ARRRRRRGH! AWWWWSHEEET!

That my friend is what they call falling in and coming up smelling like roses. Be very, very careful that somebody doesn't try to screw you out of that rifle. That's a once in a lifetime find.

And yes, it's worth whatever repair bill you run up on it.

Now I think I'll just go throw rocks at my old junk.[:(]
    picture.JPG

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    picture.GIF
    picture.JPG
    standard.jpg
  • cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Bert, just a friendly reminder that 1st model 1890s did NOT have 24" barrels. I have six first models and all the barrels are 24 3/8 ths. as the first models were phased out Winchester produced the remaining barrel versions in 24"
    edited November -1
    I honestly didn't realize what I was looking at...I just thought it was a "gallery gun" like I used to shoot at the state fair. For Bert: when you say "any" magazine from an 1890 or 1906, did they have different size shell slots on the magazines for the various calibers? Mine is a .22 short, so do I need to look for a magazine with a smaller shell slot (hole) or were they all the same? For wundudnee: now THAT'S a nice collection! (ps, sorry about your bad knee) Thanks again, y'all.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cody45
    Hey Bert, just a friendly reminder that 1st model 1890s did NOT have 24" barrels. I have six first models and all the barrels are 24 3/8 ths. as the first models were phased out Winchester produced the remaining barrel versions in 24"

Cody... I am well aware of that fact. However, Winchester listed them as "24-inch" in their catalogs even though they were actually 24-3/8-inches in length. I own several Model 1885s that letter with a 24-inch barrel, but are 24-3/8-inches long. The Model 1873 is the same 24-3/8-inches as well.

Bert H.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joepoidog
    I honestly didn't realize what I was looking at...I just thought it was a "gallery gun" like I used to shoot at the state fair. For Bert: when you say "any" magazine from an 1890 or 1906, did they have different size shell slots on the magazines for the various calibers? Mine is a .22 short, so do I need to look for a magazine with a smaller shell slot (hole) or were they all the same? For wundudnee: now THAT'S a nice collection! (ps, sorry about your bad knee) Thanks again, y'all.

I was under the mistaken impression that you just needed the inside magazine tube. If what you need is the outside magazine tube, then yes, you will need to find one that is specifically for the 22 Short cartridge. That said, all of the early Model 1906s were 22 Short only.

Bert H.