In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 42

turkeytomturkeytom Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hello to all. I am new to the forum and would appreciate some help from the experts on a Model 42. This is a fairly nice shotgun with a 26 inch barrel marked "full". The strange thing to me is it has a full length ventilated rib. By full length the rib extends all the way from the tip of the muzzel accross the receiver to the small extention at the rear of the receiver. The rib is really well done. How about it?

Comments

• turkeytomturkeytom Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    had a model 42 shipped in yesterday. it came disassembled. when trying to re-assemble the gun would not go back together. an examination showed the extractor is not letting the bbl seat fully into the reciever. also the cycle lever has no tension and i am unable to move the bolt. any and all ideas how i can fix this is appreciated.
    edited November -1
    I am looking for Win mod 42 # 16927 with a miss-matched barrel. Some time in past the barrel from your gun was switched to my 42. I am hoping you have the barrel for my 42 on your gun and would like to trade barrels. Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have owned a model 42 since 1959, It was mfg in 1955 based on the serial #. I would like to sell and purchase something else, but the bluing has broken down (no rust) and I was thinking of having it re-blued prior to selling. I am unsure if it help or harm the value?
    edited November -1
    Is it possble that the serial number 1 Winchester model 42 could come from the factory with a vented rib?
    edited November -1
    I am looking at a 1956 model 42 with simmons vent rib and upgraded wood. The forearm is the skeet type and the stock is a monte carlo type. The receiver has very nice blueing, but the rivets have a " fish eye " look to them. There is a small ring around each hole in the receiver. Possible reblue? Wood is very nice but how does all the changes affect the value? Asking price is 1500.00 Gun rates about 97% overall. WHATS IT WORTH Thanks jgr2018 PS No markings for skeet, trap or deluxe
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at a Model 42 in 85-90 percent condition. It's a field grade gun with matching numbers. The odd part to me is it has a plain factory marked skeet barrel. It's a 5xxxx serial number. Any guess to cash price?

Thank You
    edited November -1
    I came across a winchester model 42, field grade, full choke, 26" barrel and a solid rib. The shotgun is a solid, untouched 95%. I have not seen enough solid rib 42's to value this piece. What would the ballparked value be on this piece?
    edited November -1
    Just bought a Winchester model 42 with the receiver marked trap and fancy wood with the barrel with a solid rib and marked skeet. Is there another 42 out there with a trap barrel on a skeet receiver? The serial numbers show receiver made in 39 and barrel made in 35.
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 42 Winchester that I recently traded for, and when I try to load the magazine the shells keep popping back out, and won't stay in. A buddy of mine has a 42 that he can get 3 shells in the magazine, but if he loads 4 they pop back out. There are no magazine plugs in either gun. I suspect that a weak spring or shell stop is the culprit, or something may be bent. How do I fix it?
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    My father was a wholesaler for Winchester. In 1965 he bought a model 42 with a sawed off barrel. Winchester liked him a lot so when he sent it back to them for repairs, they completely restored the gun. It hasn't been fired since. Any idea on its value?
    edited November -1
    I'm wondering if any experts out there venture an opinion. I have a first year manufacture August 1933. It has a standard slide and old style stock pistol grip however...........it apparently has custom /special checkering on the stock?? I count 19 (or 20?) per inch. Any guess as to whether original Winchester shop or? Certainly looks to be age appropriate but I wonder.
    checkering42.jpg
    42slide.jpg
    model42.jpg
    edited November -1
    Whats a model 42-410 gauge in fine condition worth ?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom,

The "SKEET" marking on the barrel is the choke... not the variation. You have a TRAP gun with a Skeet choked barrel. What is the serial number on the gun?
    edited November -1
    The serial # of the receiver is 34xxx and the serial # of the barrel is 16xxx. Did I mention it has very fancy wood both in the stock and forend? Also has a solid rib.The wood seems to match.
  • Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom,

The gun is made up of pieces from two distinct and different guns. The collector value is gone and it is a nice looking hunting gun. The 16,000 portion was manufactured during 1933 or 1934. The 34,000 portion is from either 1937 or 1938. FULl serial number would help.

Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mod1892
    Tom,

The gun is made up of pieces from two distinct and different guns. The collector value is gone and it is a nice looking hunting gun. The 16,000 portion was manufactured during 1933 or 1934. The 34,000 portion is from either 1937 or 1938. FULl serial number would help.

Michael

While the collector value for the shotgun, sa a whole, is diminished substantially due to the nonmatching serial numbers, this still will have a lot of value above a simple .410 pumpgun. This would "parts out" for a tidy sum.