In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 88

RGE8RGE8 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a winchester model 88 serial number 8888, in a .308. It has two mags and is in great shape. It was mfg in 1955. Any I idea what it's worth?

Comments

• RGE8RGE8 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester model 88 .308 serial #39xxx (1956) in excallent shape. Any idea what I should ask for it?
    edited November -1
    I have a model 88 that was worked on by a "smithy" that does not feel like it was put back together correctly. The lever seems to over-extend. Looking for a gunsmith that KNOWS the 88.
    I want to have this rifle looked at/repaired and what can be done to help the trigger. Would like to have a 88 re-barreled to perhaps .338 Federal or .358 as the originals start out at >$2500.
    Not worried about collector value, just want a slick and slim big bore lever gun for moose or caribou with no external hammer. I think an average weight 20" 338/358 tube on a 88 would be perfect. Just need a knowlegable gunsmith to do it. Anyone know of a gunsmith who know the quirks of the 88 and the capability to change barrels?
    edited November -1
    Anyone know a good gunsmith that works on Winchester model 88, Problem wont feed bullet out of magazine with out jaming
    edited November -1
    Guys,

I am thinking of selling my 1961 winchester Rifle Model 88 Cal 358 with a Bausch and Lomb Balvar 4 2.5X-4X power scope. The gun is in good condition but I do not have the clip.

Do you think I would be able to draw some interested buyers for this gun?

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
    AJ
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester model 88 308. It is a lever action. It is stamped with the number 6784 so it was in the first bunch produced in 1955 I believe. Does anyone have an idea of the value? It is in good condition.
    edited November -1
    mine is cracked where the clip inserts.
    thanks
    john
    edited November -1
    Need clip for 358 Win., none available can I use 308 clip as replacement?
    edited November -1
    I recently inherited a Winchester 308 model 88 from my father-in-law. We sometimes hunted together and this gun was his pride and joy and now I'm beginning to learn why. I have no intention of selling it but from what learned so far it may be more valuable than I realized. It is in very good if not excellent condition, serial # 16558. I was hoping someone could give a ballpark value of it. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Found this site ([8D]) while researching my Dad's .308 model 88 winchester rifle. According to info I found the gun was manufactured in 1955. I have a hunting rifle and do not have a need for 2. I am curious in the value of the model 88. Can anyone give me a idea. It is in very good condition, the stock has been refinished, all stamping are visible, the barrel has little if any surface rust, the bore is clean, 2 mag clips, lever action works smooth.
    edited November -1
    Could this be a true story ? A post '64 stock with pre '64 metal ?
    That would be a two year difference. I have an idea what happened,what is your take on this ? GB # 45026390
    edited November -1
    I just got a model 88. It's serial number 8888 in a .308 caliber. It's about 95%. It shoots good no pitting and is very smooth. Any idea what it's worth? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Does any one know where I can find A wood stock for A Winchester Model 88 - 308?????????
    edited November -1
    I have a post 64 model 88 284 carbine.and i have found some parts i need.but they came off a pre 64 rifle..the parts are
    front sight hood
    rear sight
    pg cap
    butt plate....what i need to know is if these would still be the correct parts?Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a Mod 88 Rifle pre 64 and I am confused as to value. There is or was one listed on GunBroker as rare 63 and asking over $1800.I asked him what made it so rare and was told it was the Checkering.If it was Cut or Impressed and if it was on the bottom of Forearm or Not. Mine has Cut Checkering with none on the bottom of Forearm. Any Help? Thanks Ron
    edited November -1
    I think i know the answer to this but wana make sure..ive got a chance to buy a model 88 made in 1968 it is unfired and looks it..it 100% like new.he has all the paper work but no box.for 750.00..yall think thats a deal?
    edited November -1
    I just came into the posession of a Winchester model 88 and would like to mount a scope.
    Being as this is an old make, I need advice.
    I want a "see through" scope so do I use a Weaver mount or just but scope mounts that secure to the rifle itself and are high enough to see through?
    A bit new at this.
    thanks
    edited November -1
    Guys need you help i have a model 88 winchester #225172A how much is it worth i see some going for 1200.00.How do i find out what it is worth it was given to me from a family member that past on
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    A winchester model 88 in 95% condition is going in the $600 to $700 range. .308 was the most popular cliber so it adds nothing to the value. Great rifle though, enjoy it.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum,
    Your model 88 was built in 1958, according to the Blue Book of Gun Values, 600-700 is about right on value, more if it where 284, or something beside 308. I have one with a 5000 #, built in 55, the first year of production, bought it from the orginal owner, looks like it came right out of the box, it's only worth about $100.00 more than yours. It's a 308. I also have a 1961 vintage in 358 and I'm real proud of that one, it's woth about three times what the 308 is, they are hard to find. Hope this helps.
    W.D.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hasnt Bert H. our resident Winchester expert here stated that the Model 88 serial numbers are out of whack in the Blue Book as far as DOM ?
    edited November -1
    I researched the MF Date with Winchester and got back that it was MFD in 1955. So the MF Dates might be out of wack. Thanks for the info though I appreciate it.
  • Joel MooneyJoel Mooney Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Morning Joel,

Welcome to the GB forums!

Offers to buy, sell or trade are not allowed on the forums.

Best.
  • hidebuyerhidebuyer Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To the average person $600.00 to $650.00. To us model 88 collectors $2000.00 to $3000.00