In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Flathead catfish in the Schulykil

stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
I got a report that about 10 years ago flatheads (an invasive species here) appeared in the river.
I'm going to try some for sport (we don't eat anything out of the Schulykil).
Advice on fishing big flatheads?
Tackle?
Bait?
Technique?
Whatever else is information I can use?
Note this section of river is almost never fished. Valley Forge Park to Norristown PA.
Thanks all.
Stan

Comments

• bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always thought Flathead cats liked live bait the most. I set limb lines and stump sets with live bream and caught a few. A few on trot lines as well. That was over 25 years ago in a land far, far away.
    It is hard for me to think opps as being invasive, they to me were the premier cat.
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Big Bill, we'll be fishing from a boat. Live bait sounds like the way to go. I suppose we'll go to the middle (~100 yds),set 'er on the bottom and drift. The river's slow here , hopefully not too many snags. Going to use 20# spiderwire and an old Pfluger rod and reel. This trip won't be for about a month, so expect a report a bit later.
    Stan
  • KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for big flatheads i would use big hooks and heavy line. from my understanding live bait is a must. bream or catalpa worms is what we use. normally bream.
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bait; 1 lb bluegill,or anyfish that is legal bait
    tackle; depends on what is big 2/0 to 8/0 o'shanessy hook on 30 to 100lb test braided cord
    set up in quiet backwaters and fish slightly off bottom.No light,No fire,no noise and use a net
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    In the Carolinas we use large Gizzard shad (1-2 lb), large circle hooks, large reels and 100lb test spiderwire with a 200lb leader. Even with all this we have break offs.
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like I'll need to upgrade the tackle!
    Thanks for all advice.
    Stan
  • KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i hope you do better than we have been. i havent caught a stinking cat one in the last few times i went to the lake.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Here in the Carolinas we are blessed with very large catfish. My biggest was 35lbs but I have seen some twice that size caught in the same boat as I was in.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've not done a lot of fishing for them, but here are some tips I remember from other folks:

Use a stout rod, something like a 7&1/2 to 8&1/2 feet. A baitcaster or a spin casting rod would be okay if there is to be any casting, if not, then a shorter stout rod will do. 60 to 80 pound test if their are some big ones in the area. Use a good size fresh water perch, hooked under the dorsal fin. Find the deep holes, anchor and fish the bottom. The most common words of wisdom to success that you'll always hear is to be patient, make sure that there is no doubt in your mind that the fish has the bait prior to setting the hook, hard. If you hit a big one, then drift. Using a large bobber is common.
    What's next?