In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spiderwire, Mono, Or What?

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited August 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
A while back, I switched from monofilament to Spiderwire, mainly to get more test strength for a given diameter of line. I use light spinning reels that don't like heavy test mono.

The Spiderwire is strong, but seems to be more susceptible to abrasion than mono. I keep having to cut off the bottom few feet to get to undamaged line, much more often than I ever did with mono.

Anyone else experience this? Is this normal for Spiderwire, just something to live with? Any new developments in fishing line I should know about?

Thanks.

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Power Pro for braided line. I use it on my musky rod, and one of my walleye rods. Fireline also works well. I have that on a rod I troll with. Most of my rods still have mono on them. Just seems to work well with the bait casters and trolling reels.
    It comes down to personal preference.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: Any new developments in fishing line I should know about?

One word = fluorocarbon

Since you don't mind spending the money on Spiderwire, you won't mind the price of good fluorocarbon. I don't use any mono line any more, even ice fishing. Fluorocarbon line is the most abrasive resistant line I have ever used. It is generally very low stretch, but high density line so that it actually sinks in the water, rather then mono, which will usually float. Fluorcarbon is also clear in the water, and doesn't reflect UV light rays, so it is virtualy see through underwater. Unlike mono, which reflects light. Fluorocarbon is also less memory specific, so using 12 pound test, will feel much different then 12 pound mono. The downside to fluorocarbon is its risk or rather lack of resistance to heat and higher temperature. If you leave a reel in a vechicle that is in the sun, you might as well respool the reel cause the line just becomes junk.

I like one fluorocarbon line, and just one. Thats Pline, Pline makes two types, they have a hyrbid Fluorocarbon, which is a monoflimant center, and Fluorocarbon outer. This reduces the price of the line quite a bit, only around $8 for a spool of 350 yards. Pline also makes true flourocarbon line, which is about $16 for a 350 spool. I like both lines very much. I have used both these lines, and like both. I have tried the Trilene and Berkely fluorocarbon, but its junk and cost wise much cheaper then Pline. However, the benefits of Pline out weigh the cost factor.

I have went from having to respool my reels twice a week to about 2-3 weeks per respool. The Pline flourocarbon just doesn't keep the memory that most mono lines do, and that translates into longer cast for a longer period of time. Pline flourocarbon is also a tough son of a gun to cut, I can't cut 12 pound test with my teeth, unlike mono, which is easy to do.

I currently carry ranges of 8-12 pound flourocarbon on my spinning reels. I don't use mono any more, I haven't for about 4 years at least.

The only problem I have had with Pline flourocarbon is its availability. Only certian stores carry it, like Dicks for example. Local stores don't carry it, and the true $16 spools of Pline I can only order from Cabela's or Bass pro, so it makes them about a $20 spool.

I use spidewire on my baitcasters though, it works well for that, as would any other braided line. I have never put braided line on a spinning reel to tell you what my experience is with it.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ....NUNN....try the new Teflon coated SiderWire.
    SpiderWire is as abrasion proof as anything out there. Even with a small abrasion, SpiderWire is still stronger than most lines. You can loose a few "threads" of SpiderWire to a cut or abrasion, and you still have an almost unbreakable line. Nick, or cut a little "solid" line and you have lost a minimum of 50% of the line strength.

...Braided lines just tend to "show" abraisions...because of their "braided" nature. Mono lines just tend not to show "nicks"...though the are more severly weakend by a "nick", abrasion, and you need to run your nail down them usually to find the abrasion...not as easily found.

With mono lines,abraisions almost need to be felt with a thumbnail or the fingers, to locate the abrasion...at least with SpiderWire, you can "see" the abraision...generally within a foot of where you tie on a bait. I like being able to "see" any abrasion, vs having to "feel" for it.
    The new Teflon coated SpiderWire is slick as owl sheet, more abrasion proof... and casts a l-o-n-g ways...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spider wire, or any braid I have used, is the hardest to tie. I have had many knots slip on braids. I do use spider wire and like the fusion spider wire for crank baits. The mono I use most is the silver colored trilene, the big game or whatever. Its tough and it last. I have it on several baitcast reels and it will last most of the year.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    BEAGLE are you tieing the same knot you do with mono on SpiderWire? Like the Hangman's knot? If so, it won't hold. Use the Palomar knot it it can't, won't,...no way slip...[;)]

Link to Palomar & other knotshttp://eaglespark.com/Knots/palomar.htm

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also wet the line before you pull the knot tight. I have noticed that dry power lines won't pull up tight like dry mono lines. Anymore I wet all lines before I tighten the knot.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    I like Power Pro for braided line. I use it on my musky rod, and one of my walleye rods. Fireline also works well. I have that on a rod I troll with. Most of my rods still have mono on them. Just seems to work well with the bait casters and trolling reels.
    It comes down to personal preference.

I like Power Pro (round) over Fireline (flat).
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I like Tectan Premium. It's a mono, and it's my favorite by far.

You can buy it out of cabelas.

Ben
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have switched to Spiderline on my spinning reels and open faced reels, but still use mono on my Zebcos; the only time I use them on lake erie is when it is dead still and I need to cast for Walleye (no trolling motor) as I prefer casting with them than with spinning reels.

That said, I have had crummy luck with mono for the last 10 years or so. I have gotten some 40 year old mono out of my grandpa's basement that was in good shape, and didn't get brittle for like 4 years on the reel, then I buy some modern Trilene or STren or whatnot and it busts at the not right off the shelf!
  • willdallas2006willdallas2006 Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been disatisfied with mono for the last few years too, but I was relutant to switch to spiderwire because I had less than great experiences with it when I first used it several years ago. I finally got tired of mono and switched to spiderwire a few months ago though, and I havent regretted it at all.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I like the Spiderwire too, but have switched to the Jansik Special knot for all purposes. It holds and will not pull loose.

http://eaglespark.com/Knots/jansik.htm
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nunn, I switched to spider wire years ago and had the same problem. Last year while in florida at a friends house he had(I can't remember what it was)but it's flourecent green 11lb test the diameter of 6lb mono. He spooled my pole with it for me we went fishing in the gulf caught 5 trout and it's great. Next time I talk to him I'll have to remember to ask what it is.
    No more spider wire for me.
  • predator_hunterpredator_hunter Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was useing the Berkley Vanish Transition Flouorocarbon But ran into the same thing every ones esle had going wrong . So i am going to order some Cabelas Pro Line Carbon to try. PH
  • fasttackfasttack Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    heading out to try some spiderwire stelth. feeling a little ripped of though. (MY fault) did not realise that ten pound will only fill the spool like 2 pound, so the expensive 150 yds only half fills the spool!
    edited November -1
    Well, where do I start. ok first cast on the drop 4lbs, was a bit of a struggle as the drag was far from tight after changing to the spiderwire. this was the first time in 35 years of fishing to use anything but mono. wow. felt every nibble (dam sunnies) as for my half full spool (see above) still cast twice as far as a full spool of mono. might get to like this stuff
    edited November -1
    forgot to thank Bloviator, the palomar knot worked great. had not used it in a million years
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went fishing last friday with a friend. He used a mono line and I used the 15lb power pro line. I don't know what pound line my friend used. He spent mode time untangling his line than time he spent fishing. I never had one tangle. I caught only 4 bass but my friend ended up with a zero. He did get some hits but no fish. You can't beat the hook set in the power lines.
    Fish 6 hrs and only caught 4. The fish were having a lazy day.