In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Braid line question

Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
I'm going to buy some braid line, most likely either Stren Super Braid or Berkley Fireline. I'll be pretty much fishing for walleye and bass, I'll be using it on both spinning and baitcasting reels. I'm debating between 14, 20, and 30 lb line. Of those three which would be the best multi-purpose weight of the three? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stevenrayspeckstevenrayspeck Member Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a expert fisherman, But i think that the 14 pound line should be fine for walleye and bass.
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you go braided...look into POWER PRO. ive tried them all twice, and so far IMO its performed the best (without question)

as a matter of fact, i have some on my ice fishing pole..which i used strictly for northern/walleye this winter. never used a leader..never broke/"bit" my line..never lost a fish.

you gotta remember that when buying braided, if you want 30lb strength it will be in the 8-10lb diameter.. you get 30lb dia braided...your looking at something in the 100lb range.

best of luck.
  • Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    if you go braided...look into POWER PRO. ive tried them all twice, and so far IMO its performed the best (without question)

as a matter of fact, i have some on my ice fishing pole..which i used strictly for northern/walleye this winter. never used a leader..never broke/"bit" my line..never lost a fish.

you gotta remember that when buying braided, if you want 30lb strength it will be in the 8-10lb diameter.. you get 30lb dia braided...your looking at something in the 100lb range.

best of luck.

Cool, thanks for the advice, I've heard good things about Power Pro. I've pretty much decided that 14lb line is all I need.
  • rudioredrudiored Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, try Power Pro. It depends a lot on whether you are going to be trolling or casting. Some of the lighter braids do not cast real well. Some are just to limp. Good luck and good fishing.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Braided line is a superb line. Braided line that is rated at 40 pound test, has the diameter of about any other 7-8 pound line.
    Go with a 40 pound braided. With 40 pound, your diameter is super small...yet you have the strength of a 40 pound line!

Why use a small test 20 pound line, when you can have the benifits (super strength) of a 40 pound line while presenting to the fish, a line that appears to the fish, no bigger than an 8lb or so line!? I LOVE 40 pound braided! All the major strength that casts and acts like a much smaller line...yet has awesome nearly unbreakable strength of 40 lb!

...Some attributes of braided:

...Super small diameter in comparisn to it's strength.
    =================================
    ...Zero "memory", after being wound around the round spool, the line does not have have any "curls" when laid out. ie; most lines after sitting on the spool will develop a "curl", or spiral in very short time. When it is cast the line comes of the spool in spirals, these spirals come of the spool and hit each rod eye which in turn "rubs" on each eye in turn "straightens" out the spirals to get them thru the eyes; this causes some fricton and slows down the line which in turn, shortens your cast.
    ...Braided line w/no memory leaves the spoll straight (no curls), which in turn does NOT slow down the line line...which in turn leads to further, smoother casts.
    ===========================================
    ...Zip, nada stretch, at hookset it delivers 100% of your hookset energy to the fish...[^]
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use power pro for all my fishing. 8lb for crappie jigging and 15 and 20 for bass fishing. And the hook sets are much better without the big jerk.
    Use a nice limber pole for the paper mouths and don't give the pole that jerk or hes gone.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 2-barrel
    I use power pro for all my fishing. 8lb for crappie jigging and 15 and 20 for bass fishing. And the hook sets are much better without the big jerk.
    Use a nice limber pole for the paper mouths and don't give the pole that jerk or hes gone.

g-loomis will solve ALL your problems !! [;)][:D]
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    happiness is 10lb test (1lb diameter) braided line on a super ultralight spinning reel sitting under a long light uglystick with 1/32 to 1/8oz baits.
    edited November -1
    uglystick [xx(][xx(][xx(]

sorry....just my opinion...
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    uglystick [xx(][xx(][xx(]

sorry....just my opinion...

I don't think iwannausername was referring to the ugly stick you were beatin with. [:D][;)]
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ....[:D][:D][:D] "uglystick".
    I love the older ALL STAR I think they changed manfac's a year or so ago...looks for the ones made in Houston, they can still be had. That said, the "new" ones work just fine too...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif