In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fishing with corn

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
Yesterday I was over at the club ... just checking to see if the fish were biting yet. Bit early for fishing in Massachusetts. Nothing happening. I tried a couple different set ups and added a kernel of corn just to "sweeten the deal!"

I've found that the pan fish around here bite on corn just as fast as worms. And the corn is easier to find and keep than worms! [:p]

A guy comes along and says, "I hear that fishing with corn is not a good idea because it can block a fish digestive system." Anybody else heard that? [?]

Of course my hook might have a bad effect on their system, too! [;)][;)]

Comments

• elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Yeah I've heard it is bad but I thought it was the some oil from the corn that coats the gills...Don't know for sure.
  • huntergarrethuntergarret Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just always thought that they can't pass it and they get all backed up. It is illegal in PA.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can't be any worse then a bass with a senko sticking out of its butt.
  • bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the 60's a friend and I would use corn from the banks of the Grand river in Lansing, MI. and catch BIG Carp.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they eat the corn then their digestive system gets blocked. Don't throw them back if they ate the bait. If you keep the fish to eat then it doesn't matter one bit.
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do not get caught in Wyoming with a can of corn in possession while fishing, it doesn't even have to be open, just in possession. The Game and Fish are really strict about it not being used.
    It is legal across the border in Idaho, so alot of anglers figure it's ok to use anywhere, so every year Wyoming collects dollars from several Idaho fishermen who think they don't need to look past the limit page of the fishing orders.,
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Use cooked or cannwed corn and you shouldn't have any trouble unless it is illegal in your state.