In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bass pole

DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
edited April 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
What is a good pole, reel, and line combo for large mouth bass. lookin for a new pole. $0- $150

I was lookin for a casting combo with preferably fireline, spiderwire, or ironsilk. any thoughts????

Comments

• remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    me personally i use quantum reels, 14lb test line and FLW rods from wally world, i've gone completely to 7ft rods only, started using them and got rid of all my 6 ft 6'6" and 6'10"rods, easier to cast and control everything...
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...There are a host of rods, and combos, for $150...and less.
    I am stuck on All Star rods, starting (new) for around $50, to $200. If your going to use it for plastic baits(worms, lizards) and lures also, you might try a med/heavy, maybe 6' long. This may handle lots of different baits pretty well.

I'd try Bass Pro Shop, Academy...and look for a combo rig if your just getting into it. Diawa, Ambassaduer, or a couple that I think have combos that are matched up, I have not ever bought a combo.

...Baitcasting, spinning, what kind you looking for DeBow?
    Lots of good baitcasting reels, and spinning reels also.
    If you are not used to a baitcast reel, you will have to practice a little, as you wont just pick it up and start chunking it. You'll spend some time getting pro-lashes (back lash) out, at first, with a baitcast reel, but I'm so used to 'em now, thats all I use.

A good baitcast reel can be set to where you can chunk away, without a backlash, you just won't cast very far. As you get used to it, you can change the setting, and start to get your distance.

I really like Pinnacle reels, I'm impressed for the money, and durability. I have got Ambassaduer, Shimano, Pinnacle, and a Tica Sculptor (just got this evening!), and for the money, Pinnacle will give any a run for their money, even my Sculptor I just got a few hours ago, I can't say enough about these reels (Pinnacle), they are flat good.

A good Pinnacle reel (4 ball bearings) aprox. $60 (new)
    Good All Satr rod aprox. $70 (new)
    Spiderwire aprox. $14

...hope this helps, need to know what you plan on using (type of baits), and if you want a spinning, or baitcast reel...
    ...baitcast, baitcast, baitcast...[:D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    ...oh DeBow, try 30lb (8lb. diameter) spiderwire, if you go baitcast, great line...[;)]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELL DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS. I AM A AMBASSADUER PESON I HAVE BEEN USING THEM FOR 30 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER HAD ONE TO FAIL OR HAVE TO HAVE ONE REPAIRED. HAVE LOTS OF OTHER REELS ALSO. I THINK RODS AND REELS ARE SOMETHING PERSONAL, NO TWO ARE ALIKE AND YOU SHOULD GO TO WALLY WORLD OR SOME OTHER STORE THAT HAVE COMBOS AND GET THE FEEL OF DIFFERENT RIGS. BLOVIATOR IS RIGHT ON THE CASTING REELS, IF YOU HAVE NEVER USED ONE IT TAKES A LITTLE PRACTICE BUT THEY ARE WONDERFUL. YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. 150 WILL GET YOU A NICE RIG.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remington nut
    me personally i use quantum reels, 14lb test line and FLW rods from wally world, i've gone completely to 7ft rods only, started using them and got rid of all my 6 ft 6'6" and 6'10"rods, easier to cast and control everything...

Ditto.

I use 7ft rods. And Quantum Reels. I bought a Quantum Rod/Reel combo from Wal-Fart and still use it as my #1 ~ 7yrs old. Reels geeting old though. May just need torn clean down and Oiled up. As it hasn't been in years. I also have a Diawa Bait caster that I like.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Okuma has a pretty decent reel for the price, as far as rod's go, I really like my Fenwick's.
    Like others have said, you should go to a place that has a good selection of combos, and also a lot of rods, and reels.
    Try them and pick what feels good to you.
    Spider wire is the way to go for line, really good stuff.........................
    edited November -1
    DeBow, looks like a good choice. I guess I missed the rod specs.
    The length, action of the rod? Practice, practice, practice...just set the magnetic setting to high to start with. You wont get much distance...but you will get your thumb tuned up, and putting the right amount of pressure on the spool.
    Once you get your thumb in sync w/the spool, rod, and your arm, back off the mag. setting some, then you will start to get distance with your casts. ALWAYS set your line tension too. Here is a site that may help with some questions. Any questions, be sure and ask, hope this helps...[;)]

good site:
    http://outdoorstore.espn.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • a-5a-5 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    falcon rods and shimano reels
  • beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Zebco Quantum or an ambassador reel. If I wanted a rod for just spinner baits or crank baits, Id take an ugly stick anyday. The 7 1/2 foot rods are great. If I wanted a worm rod, Id take a lightning rod or a bionix from berkley.
  • pointman821pointman821 Member Posts: 872
    edited November -1
    i have fished hard for the past three years with a diawa procaster 103hsd (110.00) with a diawa rod (49.99). it has worked real good with all baits. not the first problem with either.
  • ETECMANETECMAN Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends greatly on cost you are willing to pay. The Team Daiwa rods are reasonable and high quality. The Team Daiwa spinning reels are also great. For a baitcaster I use the Daiwa Millionaire series (now replaced by the Fuego). But they are $200 for the reel but well worth it. Loomis rods also great, have 3 of those. Very sensitive but again $200 each. Also All Star rods are sensitive and very well made. Don't have any myself because I don't like the fit to my hand but must say for those that they do fit it is a great quality rod at a midrange price.

Might also try the new Mitchell Cardinal 4 spinning rod. Just saw one and if I were looking for a great spinning reel in the $50-60 range, that would definately be it. Oh yeah, one other top quality rod and very sensitive but a little costly is the St. Croix.

Looking for a good price on anything, a guy put me in touch with a shop that has been around for 60 years but the owner died. The new owner is continuing carrying all of the best of equipment and ships. Can get just about anything. Mandas 330-644-6774. Give him a try. Sometimes a bit higher but usually about the same cost but a top notch bass shop I have found. e also has Lucky Craft baits at $12.95. I have never seen that price before anywhere.