In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Turnabout is fair play

blacarrowblacarrow Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
I was float tube fishing a farm pond in Southern Idaho when I noticed something in the water about 30 yards or so away. It was an animal and it was swimming toward me. It got closer and closer, and I was able to identify it as an otter. Fascinated, I watched it as it got still closer. I became apprehensive as it approached to withing 20 feet, 15 feet, still closer. At less than 10 feet I was really freaking, afraid it might be rabid. I took my rod and gave it a sharp rap on the nose. It immediately dove. Relieved, I sat back in my float tube, quite proud of myself at how I handled the situation, when I felt a nip on my leg. The otter had taken revenge at my unfriendly action.

My fishing buddy swears I rose straight up into the air, somehow levitated 15 or twenty feet away and came down, with eyes as big as saucers. The otter surfaced after a short time, and I thought I could hear a small chuckle from his direction.

The story is absolutely true, and has convinced me that some animals have a great sense of humor.

Comments

• Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D] And you thought you had the upper hand? It amazes me how animals do have a sense of humor. Our dog used to smile and wink at us when she was excited. We've had horses that would lightly nip you on the butt and when you turned around they'd be looking the other way.[;)]
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen horses do the nip in the butt or arm and then be looking the other direction when you turn. Of course dogs can put on a pretty sad look, too ... especially when you catch them doing something they know they are not supposed to do! (Now tell me have you ever seen a cat do anything like that?[?] They think that they can do anything the please! (But in their favor at least they do let us live here on their planet![;)]
  • Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Otters are playful creatures, and the one you encountered probably is used to humans in his environment. We have several here on the lake that we see quite regularly and they will come close to us and play.
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    My mom used to live on a farm somwhere, but she told me they had this horse that thought it was a dog, if you came on the farm it would try to bark at you, if you came on in a car it would try to chew on your car. I always thought was strange. -dave-
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    They re-introduced river otters on a river that I fish. They brought some down from I think Wisconsin and they've really done well. Saw a group of 6 last summer while canoe/fishing trip. Really neat to watch.