In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The BOB

ladder34ladder34 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited March 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
Going to do some fly-fishing out in the BOB any info much appreciated
Thanks
Mark Pryor
Phila Fire Dept.
Ladder34

Comments

• Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big place, where you going in at?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will this help
    Fantastic Montana Fly Fishing Wilderness Adventures. South Fork Flathead River
    Home of the native westslope cutthroat trout, the South Fork of the Flathead River is born in the nation's most beautiful wilderness in Montana, the "Bob Marshall." Untouched by human development, it is truly nature as God intended it. This is one of the last pure native cutthroat trout fisheries in the world. The westslope cutthroat feed almost entirely on insects and love to rise to dry flies. The crystal clear, icy cold South Fork is also home to the healthiest bull trout population in Montana.

From July through October, our tent camp keeps you within 2 minutes of river and some of the best Montana fly fishing the South Fork of the Flathead River has to offer. Access to the river is unlimited, you can fish for miles or just several hundred yards.

Some of our fly fishing guests never go farther than thirty minutes from camp and catch 20 to 40 plus feisty, thick-bodied 14 to 20 inch cuts daily. Prime time to fish these waters is August through September. One of our fly fishing guests, John P., who had floated the South Fork of the Flathead River three times, said "we floated right past the best fly fishing spots on the South Fork, now I can fish them all the time, and come back to a great meal and a comfortable place to sleep."
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    What sort of information are you looking for?
    I fished the south fork two years ago (at least part of it)[:D]

Assuming that you are doing a float trip? Guided? Are you experienced and looking for fly patterns? New to it and looking for confirmation that you're going to have fun? You will[:D]

When are you going? I'm assuming this summer? Big water right now. Its all catch and release for cutthroat, if thats what your're really after.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No float trip this year did one 2 yrs ago for the week with Backdoor outfitters. Last year fished 7 days in Yellowstone (3rd meadow) and Frenchy's Creek with sloughcreek outfitters out of Bozeman. Cuaght a ton of fish. This year fishing the BOB with Salmon Fork Outfitters, and will be going Aug 09 (3rd week). Been Fly-Fishing for about 25yrs. 10 years out west and the rest back home in Pa. I was wondering what type of patterns for that area that time of year. Any and all help would be appreciated by my-self and our fly-team.
    Thanks Mark
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Try this link http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/default.html

You have a lot more years in the sport than I do. But I got some pretty good advice from a purist friend.

He suggested that even if I knew exactly what to fish with, and even if I had it in quantity, I should always check with a local fly shop once I got to my destination.

That advice has served well. Bring a pile of elk hair caddis in assorted sizes and colors, a bunch of Adams, a fistfull of terrestrials. But stop at the local shop for that "special" fly that only the locals throw. Buy some floatant and some other stuff you can always use and soak up the local knowlege. For a couple of bucks in business, I've found out a lot of information about fishing pressure that I wouldn't have gotten anywhere else. And wound up in some amazing scenery that I would never have found on my own.

Best of luck to you. I hope to fit in a quick trip out there this summer.