In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mercruiser Alpha 1

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Anyone got the Mercury Alpha one out drive on their boat?
How do you like it?
Would you recommend it.

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    YES, their about the best out there.Mercruiser conversions use all 4-bolt mained GM/Chevy engines too.(the V-8's that is)
    The big advantage over OMC outdrives is, NO BOOT!!
    The OMC drives have the big rubber boot around them and they use an engine jack/hydraulics that lift and lower the front of the engine to adjust "TRIM".
    Mercruiser has it all,Trim&tilt in the outdrive.
    The Alpha1's are TOUGH and they have a larger empeller and housing in the water pump.
    The thermostat still limits the flow thru the block as always but, the OD pump can move A LOT more water if needed.
    Also the water pressure in the stystem,(raw water) is about 8-12 PIS higher than the older Bravo Drives.
    Hope this helps...
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Great drives. I have Volvo on my boat coupled to a Volvo diesel. These are great drives to maybe the best until something goes wrong. Then they coat an arm and leg to repair.

Alpha 1 drives are reliable and strong. And unlike my Volvo is fairly inexpensive to repair. Fact is that any drive will eventually need repairs and service.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback guys...
    Looks like the Alpha is the way to go.