In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

catfish

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited January 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
Ok I have a few [?][?][?]

I was out at Kirby landing over the 4th camping and had ran a trot line
I caught a nice flathead about 10lb. NOW iv caught a lot channel cats
but not any flats I ask a few guys and they said a flat is also called a
app now i thought they were a mudcat and not good to eat

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    are there anyone out there that fish for big catfish,around TRUMAN LAKE? ( 40 lbs. or bigger). what part of lake, best kind of hook and bait. Later[:D] bad day fish'n beats good day work'n
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok guys im going to pick up my boat in the morning and its time to run a few trot lines [:D][:D] and do a little rod and reel fishing.
    I am going to take the wife and kids out sunday to let them get in on the fun also.[:p][:D][:D][:D][;)]
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    App?

In any sense, I have never heard of flathead catfish not being good to eat. Its all about where you take them from. From a nice clean pond I would eat a bullhead.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Op's are often referred to as Ap's. Short for Opelousas, or Appalossa Catfish, aka Yellow Cats, or Flatheads. They are, to my knowledge, among the largest of all North American Catfish. They come in all manner of color and shades.
    What's next?
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EVERYBODY HAS THERE OWN CHOICE BUT HERE IN MISSOURI THE FLATHEAD IS EXCELLENT EATING. THE BEST I THINK.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Op's are often referred to as Ap's. Short for Opelousas, or Appalossa Catfish, aka Yellow Cats, or Flatheads. They are, to my knowledge, among the largest of all North American Catfish. They come in all manner of color and shades.

To me yellow cats, aka yellow bellies, aka bullheads are not flathead catfish, they are flat head catfish. LOL

I have never ate a bullhead, but I have only caught them out of places that are just dirty as heck.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

To me yellow cats, aka yellow bellies, aka bullheads are not flathead catfish, they are flat head catfish. LOL

[/quote]

Some folks confuse yellow bellied bullheads as Ops...not so! [:)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info guys
    He will be table fair in a few days [:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is very seldom for anybody around here to catch a flathead, but occasionally one turns up; it's just too cold for them. We catch more channels and the odd blue. Bullheads are a different species altogether than the flatty. Yes, they can be yellow in color (there is a species called the yellow bullhead) but most are brownish or black. The yellow bullhead gets the biggest of the 3 types. They do have a square tail like the flatty, but are MUCH smaller. Flatties can get huge, and some people have this deathwish they call "noodling" where they stick their ARM down the fishes' mouth! Give me cut bait anyday; besides the water is too DA**** cold for that nonsense up here!
  • Options
    lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also posted on Bullhead thread

Well here in Minnesota the black bullhead is in the catfish
    family but rarely gets over a pound in weight -- they have three spines that can stick you -- two on the side and on the dorsal
    fin --
    You have to eat them fresh ?_" DO NOT FREEZE or they get skunky ---
    As will all bottom feeding fish ---
    Two pair of pliers --- one in the mouth -- cut around the neck --
    strip off the skin -- chop head -- remove all fins and tail-- leave in backbone -- dip in whipped eggs -- roll in cracker crumbs -- fry in butter -- just like eating corn on the cob ---
    Try it next time you catch some --- they are great eating ---
    Lee