In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Flooded Trout Stream

Tech WriterTech Writer Member Posts: 143 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
If a prime trout stream floods severly will the fish be displaced?

Tech Writer

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a generalization of streams and rivers, not trout streams. When the creeks and rivers flood, the only fish I usally notice that get caught in water they shouldn't are trash fish. Carp, suckers, gar, stuff like that. It seems that catfish and other fish don't get caught as the water is receding. Thats on observation of streams that are not trout streams.
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    I've fished prime trout streams here in Maine for over 40 years. I'd rather be trout fishing in a stream than doing anything else. The only time I've seen trout displaced by flooding is if a beaver dam breaks. Then the stream below the dam will be full of trout that came out of the dam. As soon as the water receeds to a certian point after a normal flooding from heavy rain the trout are in the quick water feeding heavily.
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When they let the dam out on a lake where i live near to repair the dam the junk fish and bluegill anad croppie went out down stream but the big brown trout went upstream and we caught 6 to 8 lbs browns for a few years after never caught any before dam was out.tks hedge[:D]