In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Should I Buy A Boat?

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,005 ******
edited August 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
A friend has a boat she wants to get rid of. It is old, a narrow style bass boat, about 14 feet long. I think it dates to the 1970s. It has stick steering.

The trailer is also old, but serviceable. Needs one bearing seal.

The boat itself needs a stick steering cable.

Trolling motor works, but the outboard doesn't. The outboard is much older than the boat, a genuine antique. I don't know if I can get parts.

Is it possible to find a deal on a used outboard?

How much expense and trouble to fix the bearing and stick steering?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bearing should be easy to fix. On most trailers it just covered with a standard bearing cover and they usually use grease packed timpkin (sp?) bearings. You should probably be able to easily do it yourself. If the seal went out, I would also change the bearing if it is tore up at all. Grease pack, and put back in, fix seal, ect.

Don't know about the steering.

Old outboard engine parts are hard hard to come by. I was trying to fix an old johnson, and I couldn't find the parts I needed. Depending on the wieght of the boat, a 10 year old 5 horse outboard can usually be had for 500-1000 you might even be able to find a deal on something else, but they can be had for less then a 1000 if you are patient. Or watch garage sale listings. Take a saw horse and a 5 gallon bucket with you and maybe a little bit of gas and oil. You can test the engine right there, just fill the bucket up with water.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    NUNN!!! READ MY REPLY TO THIS IN GD!!!! PLEASE![:0]
    If it is the one I am thinking of, it's old, and they stopped making then because of a BAD bow design problem that caused them to swamp and sink even in CALM water!!!!

ani-texas-flag.gif