In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BIGENS

pistolapistola Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited January 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
[8]Anybody fish for big cats or gar? I'm going to try it this year in the Ohio. Any tackle or bait tips welcome.[8]

Comments

• Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've fished for some big cats a few times. I use the Berkley Trilene Big Cat 20lb line. I normally just tie on a swivel to the end of the line with a bell sinker ahead of that. Then I take about 3-5 feet and tie on to the swivel. On the other end of that, I put an earplug ahead of the 2/0 hook. The earplug helps keep the hook above the snags as well as adding more bulk to the bait. I normally just use 2-3 nightcrawlers on the hook, making sure that everything but the point and barb of the hook is covered in worm.

Don't know if that helps but I've used it, and it seems to work on medium sized cats. We really don't have the lakes for BIG cats. Good luck.
  • pistolapistola Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks huntingnerd33, I rig up something like that at times. Earplug sounds like a good idea.Will give it a try when weather warms up.[8]
  • Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you stick on that much worm, you may want to use a cork. I just thought of that. The earplug probably won't keep a 2/0 hook and 2-3 crawlers afloat. I hope it works for you.
  • pistolapistola Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8]Not a problem. I got a bunch of corks![8]
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...ahh, thought you were talkin about Al Bundy's favorite booby magazine...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif