In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best Small Outboard Motor

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I am considering re-powering my old boat.The last outboard I bought was 1985.Who makes the best small(35-40hp) outboard now?Should I go 2 cycle or 4 cycle? Thanks.

Comments

• swamp_thingswamp_thing Member Posts: 695 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't venture as to which motor is the best, but I will say this. If I were to buy a new outboard these days it would definately be 4 cycle. My reasoning is simply this, with all the negative opinions of 2 cycle engines polluting rivers and lakes, they will become illegal to use at some point. A 4 cycle engine now could save you much grief in the long run. swamp_thing
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Right now Honda is considered the top in outboards. I bought a new 20HP 4-stroke last summer and just love it. Quiet, easy on fuel, starts like a dream (maybe because its electric) and almost double the speed of my old (1989) Evenrude 15.
  • alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    both yamaha and honda make very reliable 20-40 hp 4 stroke outboards. with the price of fuel rising it seems to make the most sense getting the 4 stroke, unless weight is an issue, the 2 strokes are a lot less heavy.
  • ETECMANETECMAN Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did some work for a marina at one time. We sold Mercury, Evinrude, Johnson and Yamaha. The mechanics all agree the bugs are out of all of them but also agree that the E-TEC is gthe besty 40 and 50 and 60 hP out on the market. It is a direct fuel injection, with fuel economy as good or better than the 4 strokes. Also, it is the ONLY motor 2 or 4 stroke that is EPA approved thru 2008. Less emmissions than any of the comperable 4 strokes now and weighs considerably less than the 4 strokes. Just some inside info. If you plan to troll a lot for walleyes, then a 4 stroke might be better though. Read up on the new Evinrudes and you will be very surprised.