In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dang 'ol Crappie, last morning...

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...[:D]

...Yesterday mornin, at 6am, I was standing on the dock with the wind blowing 18-20...steady[:(]...and drizzle...no bass, the front had turned them totally off, but...I started getting a "strange" bump on a grub and lizard...not that machine gun ratta-tat-tat when a perch hits...or that BAM from a 8-12" dink either. Same thing happened last week, same spot on the lake, 20' water by the dam.

...I put on 1/4oz jig head...and used 10 different color grub bodies. Caught a few piles, too damn hard to take pics of fish by yourself...they start to all look the same. I did take a pic of one pile of crappie and the 18" crappie I caught...fish in one hand, camera in the other...that's hard [:D]

...I know on a light rod, these things were FUN...maybe I should crappie fish more...not so bad using grubs and casting...just cant handle live bait and sittin, guess that's why I love bass fishing so much, always moving, and no jacking with live bait...no patience...[:D]

...the 18" crappie
ranch025.jpg

one pile of crappie, I caught around 40 like these...and one lonely little 2lb dink bass that fell for a chartreuse silver giltter tiny * grub...I'm use to my bass grubs, 4-6", these crappie grubs were TINY!

...YUM, mmmm fish fry a'commin...[:D]
ranch027.jpg

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif

Comments

• MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    COME ON AND JUST KEEP RUBBING IT IN. HE HE HE NICE GOING AND THANKS FOR THE PICTURES. WONDERED WHAT A MESS OF CRAPPIE LOOKED LIKE.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Jim I left JW TWICE that many. Hey, you crappie fish, how much you think an 18' crappie might weigh?

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Crappy make for some good eatin'. Nice mess of fish. I went to the lake yesterday and only caught ONE stinkin' little bass. Those big ones do make your knees weak, don't they?

Thanks---Peabo
    edited November -1
    peabo quote:Those big ones do make your knees weak, don't they?

...yep...[xx(]...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    18 inch crappie could go 2.5-3+ depending on how thick she was.

Bloviator that pond looks a lot like one I fish over in Ellis County near Waxahachie. I have a buddy who owns the land and the pond is about 45-50 acres. A couple of weeks ago we caught bass until we were just sick and tired of it. I caught a 5.5-6lber (my personal best). We couldn't catch a crappie or a catfish to save our lives though....I like the .22 idea for turtles. We carried a 20 gauge for snakes.
    edited November -1
    Ox, lake is about 30 acres, up at Bonham...Shot 3 turtles, but there are a LOT now, not good for fish, eat the eggs. Have 3 turtle traps out...and there that's the best chance at thinning them out.

...Saw one snake at a small tank in the north pasture, and one at the big lake, too far away too tell what kind though. First snakes Ive seen there in 8-10 years...[:0]

...If you want to just sit all day and wait for the turtles to climb out on the logs, you can get one...then the others are back in the water...and your waitung again, fun but not effective...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    them are some darn nice crappie you got there blov.....[;)][:D][:p]
    edited November -1
    ...thanks Dabow. I don't crappie fish...but found 'em when they went to bump'n a lizard...so got ot the old zebco, tried a jig, and...oh yeah!...fish fry time...[:D]

...their all pretty good size I guess, biggest was 18" long...and almost all the rest were real close to that! One of the few things I know about crappie is that they sure eat good...[:D]

fish.jpg[:D][:D]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    ...thanks Dabow. I don't crappie fish...but found 'em when they went to bump'n a lizard...so got ot the old zebco, tried a jig, and...oh yeah!...fish fry time...[:D]

...their all pretty good size I guess, biggest was 18" long...and almost all the rest were real close to that! One of the few things I know about crappie is that they sure eat good...[:D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
    i dont either. he hit the crappie schools once on a while. fun to catch
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator

...their all pretty good size I guess,

pretty good size, jeesh is that your way of being humble
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah that's a bunch of * crappie. gotta love those small Texas ponds eh Bloviator.
    edited November -1
    shoff quote:pretty good size, jeesh is that your way of being humble

...yeah. Though sometimes I may not sound like it, or act like it...I am a humble sort of guy. It's just that I really only work at bass fishing, and I'm not that knowledgable about some of the other fish...caught a lot of different kind, but, know more about bass than any of the others...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    ox...after selling my bass boat awhile back...gotta love the ponds...[:D]

...Can't say I miss, too much, messing with a boat. Ive had 3, thru the years...and enjoyed all of 'em, but,...it's got to the point that to find a REALLY good lake that is productive, not overran with "pleasure" boaters..you have to drive so damn far...and the time, cripes,....easy to spend half a fishin trip just driven!...[:D]
    ...would rather be fishin...than drivin...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • nashflashnashflash Member Posts: 727 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bloviator my friend , you are holding a big ol' slab crappie in that picture which is what us that do crappie fish strive to catch. You caught a great bunch of the best tasting fish in Texas. I gotta leave Texarkana some weekend and get you show me where this lake is at if it's a public lake.[:p]
    nashflash
    edited November -1
    nash it's a private (aprox. 30 acres) lake on a friends ranch.
    I used to fish it a LOT 20 years ago...when it was 4-5 years old.
    Now I spend most of my time when I am there...helping him around the ranch. There is not any fishing pressure, I AM the only fishing pressure...the fish are safe ([:D]).

The Tornadoes Tues. (F3 on the scale, 210+ swirling winds) night were North of me...but within a mile of the ranch...my bud's ok...but he's still checking around the ranch
    and leased pastures...the nadoes killed three and hurt a hundred and something people. I drive right thru almost all the small towns that got hammered.
    I had been planning on TRYING to go up next week, now, I probably will take an extra couple of days and spend them doing what I can helping in the area that got hammered.

...I have adjusted a lot of storm losses, and it is really hard on the people who have lost their home.[:(]
    Just try and imagine, everything you own,...gone in less than 2 minutes, 15 seconds really, everything...it's tough.
    A lot of good people in and around Anna, Westminster, where the nado went thru...all helping each other...and people comming from over a hundred miles (all over Texas actually) away to help any way they can. JW and I may load up a couple of tractors, frontend loader and take in to help...It's things like this, the neighborly stuff, that really make me proud to be a Texan...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    BLOVIATOR if you adopted me, would i be able to fish that pond also? I can get the papers drawn up pretty quick. HE HE HE. NICE FISH.
    edited November -1
    ...grizz, you know,...you have always been like a son to me...[:D]

...welcome to fish the lake anytime...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    OK DAD can i use the new reel?