In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tired of cold and snow

cowboy38231cowboy38231 Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Since the hunting seasons are about over, I am ready to fish. But damn all this snow and cold weather. Come on spring!!!!

Comments

• Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear you ! I am looking out at a frozen lake and it sucks. I guess if i lived in an area where they all ice fish all of the time it would be ok. BUT when you can't get your boat off the lift and move that is a diffrent thing.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Hey fish get hungry in winter too.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is always ice skating over the old fishing hole
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    cowboy38231.......I feel your pain! But now is the perfect time to get the fishing gear ready for the spring blitz! Sharpen those hooks, reline those reels, be liberal with the WD-40! Now, if I could just get to my truck to polish it up and get all the road salt off of it. But it is 46 degrees out there, the snow is fast melting, and me and my gang are getting antsy! Spring cannot come too soon!
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still looking at 18" of snow on the ground. Lake froze and going out Tues. with 2 buddies to try them Blue Gills again. Suppose to get up to the low 30's[8D] Spring is just around the corner[:p]
  • drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    Still looking at 18" of snow on the ground. Lake froze and going out Tues. with 2 buddies to try them Blue Gills again. Suppose to get up to the low 30's[8D] Spring is just around the corner[:p]

I'm in Wisconsin and still drivin the truck on Lake Winnebago. Perch are biting in the bays. Some up to 10 inches. What a winter for nice weather here. Teens at night keeps the ice safe and 30 in the afternoon. My Labrador has become an ice hound. he cant wait to go along. Still, summer beckons.
  • kumateliveskumatelives Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November -1
    starting to melt off around the edges on the smaller lakes where a guy can catch a few trout in the daytime
  • BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how you guys survive that far north. I am just hanging on in the Tennessee hills. It has been a long cold winter. Come on spring!
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wish I had pics for you, but went out yesterday and we got 8 lake trout 2 to 5 lbs, beautiful day on the ice.

Now if it will stay fishable ice until mid april things will be just grand.

Will be attending a big annual derby this weekend at Fremont lake near Pinedale Wyoming, wish us luck as they pay hourly, daily, and derby big fish. I only fish for the lakers of which the lake does produce some 30's and 40's, but never seems to during the derby. I think 24 lbs is the biggest so far during derby time.

Here's what a 28 lber looks like from last winter
    SDC10225.jpg
    edited November -1
    dpmule..........what a great looking fish! Did it come out of that little hole in the background? I can hardly wait until the ice goes away here on the Right Coast so we can get the Whaler in the water and the reels lubed and ready. What do you catch that big laker on? Great photo!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    dpmule..........what a great looking fish! Did it come out of that little hole in the background? I can hardly wait until the ice goes away here on the Right Coast so we can get the Whaler in the water and the reels lubed and ready. What do you catch that big laker on? Great photo!

Yes, we bring them thru a 10" hole.
    it weighed 28# 7oz
    one below was 22#4oz
    We catch them on mostly on tube jigs tipped with what we call a Bullhead, common name is sculpin and sometimes suckermeat.
    FWIW, We know for a fact that you can get a 40# laker thru a 10" hole but it is tight. that was before we had digital cameras, maybe we can get lucky before iceout.

JLMack4-Feb-091.jpg

SDC10218.jpg
    edited November -1
    dpmule...more great photos! The cold is beautiful in its own way, and those mts in the background are spectacular but too darn cold for me. Snow this year broke all records in our area of the world, but probably just a burp where you are located. Heck, I just finished shoveling snow out of my Boston Whaler today! Hard to believe!! How are those Lakers to eat? Do you smoke them? Bet they are good. Back to cleaning the Penn's, dreaming of a large bluefish on the end of my surfpole!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    dpmule...more great photos! The cold is beautiful in its own way, and those mts in the background are spectacular but too darn cold for me. Snow this year broke all records in our area of the world, but probably just a burp where you are located. Heck, I just finished shoveling snow out of my Boston Whaler today! Hard to believe!! How are those Lakers to eat? Do you smoke them? Bet they are good. Back to cleaning the Penn's, dreaming of a large bluefish on the end of my surfpole!

Those are the Tetons, we are on Jackson lake in all the pics.
    We generally release anything over 8/10lbs because they begin to get really greasy above that size. Some smoke'em, but we just fillet and cook a couple different ways. We like them far better than cutts, rainbows, or browns, but that is just a personal preference. What size Penns do you use? I have a couple rods set up with 209's, and two other set up with Ambassadeur 6500C and 5500C, these are my ice rigs.