In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

No Big Bass...but a LOT....

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited April 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...all were probably pound to 2 1/2lbs this week, no big one...I caught probably a 100 or more, dinks and keepers...but fun! Lost maybe the biggest fish of my life, saw it's tail...as big as my hand with my fingers spread! Limb, hung up, spit hook...just a fish story...shook for 5min. after she spit the hook...[:D]

...heres one of several piles I caught over a couple of days...played farmer/rancher 3/4 of the time I was there, disk 5-6 acres, we moved couple dozen head from here to one of the leased pastures, cows are like REALLY stupid...Brangus and Limo's...very, very nice and healthy, around 300 head with the spring calves.

TREE FISH
...chunking a lizard, went over a tree...a dink pounder hit...and I drug him up AND over the tree...never pulled one up over a tree that high before...my "tree fish"...[:D]
ranch010.jpg

...one pile, the bait on my rod tip is about 5' long, for some kind of size reference...just crappy trying to take pics by yourself...there's 3-4 crappie that hit one of my topwaters!
ranch012.jpg

...I'm sitting over the creek here...and it runs up to within 5' of the bank, where it's in the shadows...at about eleven o'clock. This is the shallow end, except for the creek. Hard to tell, but the lake goes back another 150yds. up into the trees. EVERY stick-up ot tree you see, will have a bass on it...and where it looks clear...there are TONS of HUGE trees we pushed over and left, stumps...even where it looks like open water, theres ambush points all under the surface. You can see down about 8-10ft deep. I hung one bass that looked to be about 3lbs...and she nailed a lizard and was flying at me...I was reeling as fast as I couldd and couldn't get the slack up...and watched her as she ran INTO a 2ft diameter hollow tree trunk on the bootom! It was really cool seeing that, of course I had to cut my SpiderWire...but it was worth it to see the fish do that! [:D]
ranch009.jpg

...now this ain't like my bass boat...but hey, on 30 acres...it's AWESOME![:D] ...ugly...but awesome...[:p]
ranch008.jpg

ani-texas-flag.gif

Comments

• hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm jealous....nice way to spend an afternoon!! Pretty fish. I live about 45 mins from the outer banks of NC, but my house is @ 500 yds from the Pasquotank river & we have two creeks that run on either side of the neighborhood. I had a 18 ft center console for bay/inshore fishing, but I sold it right before Thanksgiving and have been looking for something like a "bass tracker' set-up so I can just go dunk it at the neighborhood ramp and fish instead of having to drag a bigger boat around all the time. I'm about ready to just buy a jon boat and put a troller on it so I can have something to fish out of this spring. I enjoy surf-casting at the beach, but you're sure limited on what you can do with bass when you don't have a boat to fish out of!

Best,
    Mike
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    crappie as big as the bass, hmm thats nice
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a lot of fun and some good eating to boot....
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    I have hunted deer from a tree, but I have never fished from a tree !
    Is that a Texas secret to successful fishing ?[:)]

Thanks---Peabo
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    From the looks of the Marlin in your bass boat, you were shooting all those bass, right [;)]
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    From the looks of the Marlin in your bass boat, you were shooting all those bass, right [;)]
    didnt even notice that till i looked closer....lol. looks good bloviator!
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    mrbruce quote:From the looks of the Marlin in your bass boat, you were shooting all those bass, right

...turtle gun...[:D] good eyes...882 Marlin SS .22 magnum...my favorite a Rem 514...is having a custom stock fixed up on it, it's my favorite of the 4-5(?) I have, it will be ready before long, no hurry, the work is awesome and worth the wait...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    peabo quote:I have hunted deer from a tree, but I have never fished from a tree !
    Is that a Texas secret to successful fishing ?

...ssshh!...don't tell anybody...[:D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • ETECMANETECMAN Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My goodness!!! Why in heavens name would anyone kill so many bass? The crappie in that pile were o.k. but why the bass? Especially the size that were in the pile. It is ashame more people do not think about the future of the bass fisheries and respect nature a bit more as well as think about future generations.
    edited November -1
    ...PETA, TREE HUGGING propaganda sounding...ECHOMAN quote:My goodness!!! Why in heavens name would anyone kill so many bass? The crappie in that pile were o.k. but why the bass? Especially the size that were in the pile. It is ashame more people do not think about the future of the bass fisheries and respect nature a bit more as well as think about future generations.

...so that others may live...[?]...[;)]

...ECHOMAN quote:Why in heavens name would anyone kill so many bass?

...Heavens name? nah, in my name!...partly because I AM close to the tippy top of the food chain...and I was out 'O fish in the freezer...[:0]

...ok, I answerd your "ambiguous" post already...then saw this. I was nice, and being the heartless killer, enviro destroying individual I am, it was not easy...

ECHOMAN quote:It is ashame more people do not think about the future of the bass fisheries and respect nature a bit more as well as think about future generations.

...oh,...I DON'T think...therefore, I am.[?] Future generations?? SPARE ME! I AM part of the generation that ENABLED you to have the game you/we do have! Remember the Passanger Pigeon? I don't, before my time...probably crapped on everything in sight. Ever hear that old answer to a question of where someone is...oh their out in the park pecking poop with the pigeons?

...my three grandkids (future generation) would beg to differ with you...on the "respect" thing.

...OH! I do have some puppies I just finished smoking, tender, did not even have their eyes open yet...[:p] I just gutted them alive...a little salt and pepper...and into the smoker they went! mmm, fresh puppy!...will send some your way echoman if you want...[;)]...taste a lot like chicken...[^]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the wife and went fishing sunday and this is the catch
    that we could keep
    ef1b3676.jpg
    ef1b383c.jpg
    love them crappie
    edited November -1
    snarlgard, boy, you and yours did good! Uh hmmm, I think I may see some channel cat in a pic there...[:D]

...Dang, makes me want to go fishing...and makes me hungry too...[:p]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    nope all blues no channel cats
    but the crappie nice
    I love crappie more than catfish
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey bloviator...there is a website www.texasfishingforum.com I thought you may be interested in. Also there is a link on that forum to a 5lbs crappie caught in Missouri. I believe it was 19 inches. Wasn't yours 18.5??
  • ETECMANETECMAN Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well blowgater,
    I never got nasty - just asked point blank a question about killing some small bass. Could have answered but instead you chose to get nasty. Guess that answers my question about why!
    edited November -1
    Ox, thank you sir for the link...yea, it was 18" or so...I need to find the post...Ive slept since then...[:D]

snarl all blues huh? I must confess I am not enough of a catfisherman to tell the difference in a pic. Blues and channel both in the ranch lake...all good...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    Wife and I went back today and only caught 3 crappie and One catfish
    and a fishbasket full of sandbass[:D]
    was just hopeing for more crappie
    catching em on ruby red minnows in 3 feet of water
    all hugged up to the bank in shallow water
    sorry no pics[:(]