In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need help with picking out a starter up Fly setup.

predator_hunterpredator_hunter Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I am new to fly fishing. I live where Norfork river runs into White river in Arkanasa. And the trout fishing is great. We have browns rainbows brooks and cutthroat trout and can fish yr around. I am looking at a 5wt rod and reel with weighted floating line. I have look at the
rod
Orvis Streamline 8'6 5wt rod
St. Croix 9'0 5wt
Scott 9'0 5wt used
Drake Big Horn 9'0 5wt
G Loomis 9'0 5wt used
reel
Scientific Anglers concept 2
56LA
model 456
Ross Flycast2
Scientific Anglers Fly line WF5F
IF anybody fly fishes and can help me out. I will take all the help i can get thanks PH

Comments

• hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello
    I fly fish and am not a expert will be doing more this fall in your area.as i winter in camden ar. have a friend int the area of the white river by mt. home.have used the st croix and like them i use a 5 level its a old combo from eagle claw in a alum.tube i got in the 60's.tks hedge
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I do lots of fly fishing and I am very partial to Scott Rods and Ross Reels. I worked in the Ross Reels repair department in high school, great stuff, great people. The Scott factory is also located here in town, non better. My favorite setup is a Scott 3pc 5wt and a Ross G-2. The best part is that both companies will warranty the product even if you pick it up used.

Good Fishing.
  • HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try to buy the best equipment you can afford, it will save you from dissapointment in the future. You have listed some excellent choices for rods. Unless you are fishing strictly big open rivers I would reccomend a 9ft 4wt, with either a 3 or 4wt double taper line.(Im partial to ST.Croix myself) Weight forward lines seem to slap the water a little harder, therefore spooking fish, especially on smaller water. Pick a reel that balances your rod well. You dont want a five pound brick on the end of your rod when your gonna be casting all day, makes for a sore arm. After your first season you'll have developed your own opinion on what you like/need/dont need/cant live without. Welcome to your newest addiction!
  • predator_hunterpredator_hunter Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi and thanks Hedgehoppers62 I live about 18 miles from Mtn Home. I work in Mtn Home. I am thinking about the St Croix. But if i can come arcoss a used Sage or Redington becasue of the warr. I went a few weeks ago and fish from the bank with my G Loomis 6'6 light spinning rod and Sahara 1500 reel with 6 pd line where both river run together and cought 55 trout . 50 on power bait and 5 on corn i turned them all back.. I cought browns brooks cutthroat and rainbows. PH
    edited November -1
    I am looking fwd to this fall as i have a new boat its 8ft takes up to a 10 hp motor and folds up to fit in bag about the size of a large of a large golf bag.cant wait to get on the white river my friend is looking for me a 5 to 10 ac piece of land.had boat out this am caught a 14 1/2 in bass plus 12 in and 22 in pike had the bass for dinner thru other 2 back tks hedge
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    predator_hunter,

The biggest thing I can say is get a good pole. Then work on the reel. don't get sucked into the 'brand name' gig and spend three times as much for a reel as you would a cheapie because all it's doing is holding line. Some are actually made better but you will have to see for yourself which ones have the better construction and why.

Personally, I wouldn't go whole hog on a fly fishing rig unless you decide you like it. That advice will save you a couple hundred bucks to start with. I fish with a 8'6" Guided Series and a Phlueger self retracting reel. I have seen reels running near $200 bucks that don't do anything more than what the cheap old Martins did for $14.99.

Now, in order to decide you like fly fishing you will need to do a little study on presenting your fly...whichever type it is, to the fish. What flies of each type work where and when. And how to get that fly to the fish so he will think it is food. Contrary to popular belief fly fishing is fishing...it isn't first and foremost an artform. It's FISHING...you are putting something in front of a fish that he thinks he needs to eat. One of my favorite books is "Prospecting for Trout". it's a straightforward introduction to flyfishing and why we do it{obsessive, compulsive...you needn't go there}. Eventually you will get to appreciate great casting, tying of flies, and all the other things that we enjoy about fly fishing, but first you need to learn how to catch some fish doing it or it won't interest you much, or cause great frustration, to the point where you quit. I learned out of necessity because when I moved to Montana from Nevada I found that trout didn't really care about spinner's and spoons and such all that much...They did think a mosquito(ha ha suckers..took your picture) was a tasty looking meal. Thus it began in Lewistown, Montana that I converted to fly fishing as my primary means of duping unkowing Osteichthids into temporarily giving up their freedom for my photo op. I do eat them sometimes but I find it's more fun to chastize them and send them back to school where they should learn a thing or two.

So,(not drooling anymore) I suggest starting cheap, learning to cast finding the flies that work, reading up on methods, i.e. dry, wet, streamers. Then working up to some of the better equipment. Once you decide to upgrade the less expensive stuff is less worrisome in the hands of your "I can blow it up" nephew. Meaning you won't cry so hard if he takes your three year old $20 pole and shatters it as opposed to your $200. St. Croix and shatters it. Better still is take the high dollar reel and lay it in the sand... Nothing will ever be right with you again once you have started this obsession.
  • HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Nothing will ever be right with you again once you have started this obsession.[:D][:D][:D] So very true!
    edited November -1
    Hi i talk to this guy i know and he is going to let me have a New Redington at his cost he is a dealer. So i am going to get a Redington 9'0 5wt 2 piece with a good deal and a lifetime warr. And i am going with a Redington reel too. Not a high end one. His cost. I have been talking alot to this older guy and become friends with. He is a guide and he give classes on fly fishing. He has a fly shop and he said i could go fishing with him. And he would show me unuff to get started catching fish for free. I know i will like it becasue i have a cheap fly rod i take down to the pond and catch bream on all the time on small poppers. VM
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a great way to start.I may have to look this guide up as i am in need of better use of fly rods and would like to know more of area.does he have address or e-mail.tks hedge
    edited November -1
    Hi he has a Fly Shop but i cant remeber the name . I will be going in there in a few days to buy a few flys and i will ask him. Or you can go up the the Norfork dam taiwaters and watch the older guys fishing and there are some good ones up there. They will help you out too there are a few guys that are there about every day. PH