In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Oh Canada

Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
Getting ready for a trip up north to Canyon Lake. The lake is located about 15 miles north of Vermillion Bay. I have not got to go in several years and I am really looking forward to the trip. I enjoy fishing for Musky but they say the Walleye fishing has been great the past few years. The lake has smallmouth also and they are always fun to catch. The best part of the trip is going to be spending time with my son. We don't get to see each other very often and hardly ever get to fish together anymore. It is amazing our life is like that old country music song that when the child was young dad was always busy and now he is always busy. I am sure that this week will be the time of my life. I think I will just sit in the back of the boat let him be the guide shoot pictures and enjoy life. Naw!! I will enjoy life but I know I will not be able to just sit back. I will beat the water to a froth and not give him one ounce of slack. That is the American way isn't it. Truth be know and I have already started make the excuses. He will make 5 cast to my one and I will never hear the end of it. I remember my last fishing trip up north with my day probably 30 years ago it was just like yesterday. Isn't it amazing how time slips away.

Comments

• bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful on your trip, have a great time with your son, SET THE HOOK!!!
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You certainly are right about "how time slips away". Better enjoy life NOW as one never knows. Spent many years fishing up there and the biggest problem is when you get back home you're spoiled and don't care much to fish the local lakes! Have fun and enjoy.
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang just a little less than a week to go before the big trip. This time next week we should be in line getting ready to cross the border at International Falls. The smell of the plup wood factory is something that everyone should enjoy one time in their life. They sure would benefit from a Glade factory up there they need some stick ups. Always fun crossing we have been lucky at the crossing in the past. We have never been tore down but each year we hold our breath. We are not illegel but I really don't cherish the thought of unpacking all of the stuff. It takes us about 18 hours to make the trip from the St. Louis area 1020 miles. We will play Wheel of Fortune on the way up. No we don't have Vanna White going with us. Not to say someone has not had their picture sleeping with a blow up doll one time. You really don't want to go to bed first if you are a heavy sleeper. Oh back to the Wheel of Fortune we mark a tire on a boat trailer with numbers. Everytime time the trailer stops for gas whoever numbers is up everyone else has to buck up. Good time sometine to pass the time. We chat back and forth all night on CB and the same stories are told each year. We always have a time to remember our fallen heros as we have lost 3 of our originals during the years to the big lake in the sky.

Get ready Canada here we come.
    edited November -1
    Going Going Gone Back in a week!!!
    edited November -1
    I am back story later !! I am still brain dead from the drive. I am getting to old fro this stuff.
    edited November -1
    Oh Boy where to start !! The fishing had never been better but the catching was just good not great. My son and I boated 12 Muskys for the week with the biggest just under a keeper 40". I had a good one on and we had issue at the boat and it got free. The musky fishing was slower than normal as I believe the musky were feeding on the walleye as they had just finished spawning and were very easy target. We did see some monsters but could not get tem to do nothing more than follow. Did not catch a single fish on a bucktail caught all of the fish on a jerkbait or a topwater buzzer.

Walleye we did not fish for them much but did catch catch lots of them. The big ones 23 to 28" were easy to catch the ones under 18" seemed to be the hardest. The big walleye females had just finished spawning and were paper thin. They were on the feed but nothing ther when toy would clean a fish the meat would be real firm and the fish would be terrible to filet. I am sure that this is because of the fat content in the meat had gone away during the spawning process. You could catch them on bass jerk baits but they would bit it only on a dead stick. Later in the week they became a little more agressive.

Smallmouth caught some real nice ones but not high in numbers. I think I caught one that was lees than a pound. Ithe smallmout population is not as high as it was several years ago but the quality of fish is much better. The Smallmouth had not spawned yet so again this year I am sure that it will be unsuccesful.

All in all great trip ! I really relized that I cannot compete with a 26 year old cast for cast.I had a great time fishing with my son he is becoming a great fisherman. I could of gone fishless all week and still had a great time.

We are putting together a video for U Tube of an induction of a 10 year old into the Musky club. There will be more to that story later.

The drive 1198 miles 22 hours from my house SUCKS but well worth it . I will no longer do it straight through it kills this old man.

Catch Hogs
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Liv2Fish, please post where we can see the video, will it have any shots of yall fishing?
    edited November -1
    Here is the U tube link. Remember this has all been rehearsed and is being acted with real actors. Yea Right!!We did not record the fishing part but here is that part.
    What happened was was unreal. We had a musky that was probably 36" or bigger that follow us or would hit every time we went to his area. We tried the fish every day but could not get him on the hook. He was in a little pocked under a tree that was in the water. Well we took Josh to this secret spot. He made a short cast then he made the perfect cast and then several more. We just knew he would get a follow or a blow or even catch the fish. Nothing happening he was not there. I was bummed to say the least I just knew that someone had came by a caught this fish. I had Josh really covering this pocked well from all angles and I thought that we might of spooked the fish because we were in closer that we had normally been. Them this is when the majic happened. There is a huge bolder bigger the size of a truck that is at the side of this pocket. It sets on a little ledge that drops off into the pocket. There was a gull sitting on it. I looking for any excuse and said to my son the seagull is here my son went wooooo. Josh piped right up and what does that mean. I was telling him that you had to watch his movements and any other thing that i could think of when the bird stood up and shook its feathers. I said he shook his feathers and KA BOOM the musky hit no sooner than I said it. My prayers had been answered. Josh had the fish on but did not get a good hookset and it got off after a brief battle. Josh made several other casts and nothing else happened. The bird flew away undetected during all of this. Like a good uncle I was honest with Josh and told him that the seagull was a Musky spirit. That he gave the sign of the fish then disappeared. You know the real truth I would never decieve another young fisherman. When we got back to camp Josh's grandpa asked him about the fishing and he said Top Secret Grandpa but it was fun.
    I am sure that Josh will remember this for a lifetime. I told him that someday he will have to induct someone into the club. Yes I know that he will figure it someday but will he or anyone else figure out the seagull. I never will!!!!!

Oh the link www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUmRaT5346o
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was a hoot, I hope the hook set hard and he looks back on this day 50 years from now and looks up at the sky and says Thank you.
    edited November -1
    Started looking into the next year trip. I want to go with my son and the group again but I think I will try to go mid Sept. I might get some grouse and duck hunting in also. The mid summer trip is to hard on my wife it is our busy season here. I just finally quit hearing about this year trip. I really don't understand her beef with it as she always tells me she does everything anyway. Woops burning daylight got to go fishing.
    I talked to Josh the other day and everything is still secert. Good Kid.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Ahhhh,"The Sacred Order Of Musky Maulers"..[:D] Very cool!!