In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cheap Paintball Gun

WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
edited November 2005 in The Fishing Hole!
Well, I'll do my part to help get the Paintbal Forum going. It's been years since I did any paintball. The last time I went, we used the single shot pump action paintball guns. I was wondering if the cheap paintball guns from Wally World will hold up for very long. The last time I looked, they were pretty much all plastic and ran between $30 and $40. I know these are very cheap, but how long will they hold up? I was thinking of trying to get some of my buddies together so we can hunt each other down and shoot each other.

I used to have a neighbor who was very serious about paintball. He spent more money on his paintball guns than I ever had on a real handgun.

texasC.gifthumb_Texas-AM.jpg

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.
--The Matrix---

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard of the old "Talon?"'s holding up ok. They have a pump action and run off of the old 12gr Crossman CO2 cylinders.

If you want the truth I have an older Piranha G2. With a 2-peice 18 inch Boss Smart Parts barrel, Venturi bolt, Expansion chambers, double trigger assembly, etc, etc. It's held up great. I put it together when Paintball was just starting to get back some popularity and everything was so expensive. Bottom line I have about $1200 in a gun that you could buy the equivalent of (minus the 18"barrel) for about $150.

You can get many others, semiautomatic or fully automatic, for $50-200 that could compete with mine, except for accuracy.

Don't go cheap and get a junker, buy a used Spyder or Tippman if you want something at all. It's much more fun with a higher rate of fire. I could put out 14rds/sec with mine @ 375fps. That hurts!

The part of paintball that really gets your adrenaline goin is trying not to get hit. Finding cover and having rounds flying all around you (you can hear them whizz by). So....If you can afford it and truly wish to enjoy the game. At least grab something semi-automatic.

Good Luck and have fun!!!
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay! One of the first things that I always stress about paintball is safety!!! Shooting ANY marker at 375 fps is WRONG!!!!! Most fields that I know of require you to set your gun at 275 to 300 as an absolute MAX!! I would not play with anyone shooting that fast. Googles may not withstand an impact at that speed and the game just isn't worth my eyes!

With that all said, I do agree that the "cheep" guns are okay if you understand that you will have limitations. Air consumption is also a big factor in these guns and some of them only use the 15 gram C02 cartridges like a BB gun. What I would suggest is that you check out rental guns. There are several shops in my area that have rentals (generally Tippmanns) that you can rent and take where ever you are going to play. This would let you use a much better gun without a larger investment. Plus, if you are trying to get others involved, you want to make sure that you have as much fun as possible. You wouldn't want to be fighting your gun or have your day cut short because it broke. I would recommend a Tippmann 98 Custom for a GREAT starter marker. You can find them on line for about $120 last time I looked. These things are almost indestructable and there are millions of upgrades that you can do with it that you can't with others once you get going in it again. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    DO NOT buy a talon. Talon's are a disaster waiting to happen. I've seen many fall apart under normal use. But in other news, a friend of mine once added extra parts, rams, and electronics to make a full auto versoin- it tore itself apart after about 100 rnds, but still cool!
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    Okay! One of the first things that I always stress about paintball is safety!!! Shooting ANY marker at 375 fps is WRONG!!!!! Most fields that I know of require you to set your gun at 275 to 300 as an absolute MAX!! I would not play with anyone shooting that fast. Googles may not withstand an impact at that speed and the game just isn't worth my eyes!

With that all said, I do agree that the "cheep" guns are okay if you understand that you will have limitations. Air consumption is also a big factor in these guns and some of them only use the 15 gram C02 cartridges like a BB gun. What I would suggest is that you check out rental guns. There are several shops in my area that have rentals (generally Tippmanns) that you can rent and take where ever you are going to play. This would let you use a much better gun without a larger investment. Plus, if you are trying to get others involved, you want to make sure that you have as much fun as possible. You wouldn't want to be fighting your gun or have your day cut short because it broke. I would recommend a Tippmann 98 Custom for a GREAT starter marker. You can find them on line for about $120 last time I looked. These things are almost indestructable and there are millions of upgrades that you can do with it that you can't with others once you get going in it again. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

very very good point. you might want to look into a spyder. it was the first marker i ever bought, and to this day it still works like it did the day i got it (6yrs ago). you can get a pretty decent one for around $150. you can always search flea-bag or pbnation.com - which has a great buying/selling forum, your bound to find a great deal there!
  • InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont buy anything under a hundred bucks. get either a spyder or a tippmann. tippmann will last forever and you can get em for around a $100. you'll be wasting your time with anything thats really cheap.
  • choaderchoader Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spyder is the way to go for a first marker. They're like chevy's.. parts are everywhere.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:choader Posted - 10/15/2005 : 10:54:07 PM
    Spyder is the way to go for a first marker. They're like chevy's.. parts are everywhere.

How has you Spyder been for breaking parts? I have heard that they are good markers but tend to break. Don't know if it's true or not. Welcome to the fourm Choader!!!

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • choaderchoader Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the welcome.

I guess it's not so much availabe parts that make spyders popular, but the fact that wal-mart sells them for a c-note. Expansion chambers and more accurate barrels included.

You can still get a talon at wally world for about 25 bucks. Lol, I own like 8 of them from years back. ---and they still shoot fine!!
  • Renegade__AzzyRenegade__Azzy Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cant recomend a Spyder to anyone anymore. The SE was the last good one they made.

Get a PMI Piranna, we use them as rental guns, and work great. If you want a real workhorse, try a VM-68, they can be had used and are the AK's of the paintball world. Dig yourself a trench, chop down a tree in your way, and still make the shot to get the flag.. all with the gun [:D]
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey guys will have a deal on ebay, good starter kit it comes with alot of stuff so just e-mail me but it will be posted on ebay in a few days just look for joker565656

YOU BEEN NUNNED!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    post a link when you start it...

335821.jpg
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1