In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Making bottomfish lures.

ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
So there are apparently kits out there for making rubber worms right? I go bottom fishing in the ocean and would like to think I could cut down on my costs by making my own shrimp tail lures. I am sold on the Kalins Scampi tail lures, the 9" rootbeer color works the best for me when going after ling cod. Any one know about where to go for the materials to make these? I could buy a lure and make a mold for it if I could get the rubber with the gold flake and rootbeer color to put it all together.

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Years ago, before they had the "injectable" method to make your plastic baits round...instead of flat on one side...I made a lot of my plastic baits, really easy...and pretty cheap. The fish did not seem to mind the baits were flat on one side! You should be able to find the molds for the shrimp tails, I would think. The only real cost, is the start up, buy the different bottels of color and hardner, and molds. Any old cheap sauce pan will do to heat/melt the plastic...

...Oh yeah, you USED to be able to melt down the store bought baits, and repour them, without having to add a hardner. Sometimed you find a big bag of worms on clearance, then you can just melt 'em dowm and pour them into whatever bait/shape yu want, REAL CHEAP that way.

Years ago Cotten Cordell used to make a 6' chamelion (sp) worm. The worm changed from a grape/purple in the light, to a muddy, purple brown...as it went deeper into the water...was one of my favorite baits. Well, I LOVE to fish lizards, but Cordell did not make this in a lizard...so I tossed a bunch into my saucepan, and sure enough they melted just fine! Poured me up a bunch of lizards with it, sigh, Cordell stopped making the color, ran out of the lizards...never caught another bass..........only kidding!...[:D]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I can get the stuff to make the rubber scampi tails here I'll just have to make the mold myself. I'll give it a shot, busy right now but will find some time.