In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Your best true fish story?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited March 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
"Fish story" has become synonymous with "exaggeration" but am curious, what is your best true story about fishing or something that happened while fishing?

Mine is this. I was out fishing for perch with my dad and grandpa. Gramps was on oxygen by then, and had a little plastic wrench with a rubber band on his O2 tank to control the flow. The band broke; it was dry rotted. Gramps shrugged, and tossed the broken rubber band over the side of the boat.

10 minutes later one of us- I think it was my dad- caught a perch. There, in its gullet, was the broken rubber band. The fish had eaten it on the way down, evidentally. Swear to god, it's true.

How about yours?

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fishing in a small(3-4 acre) pond that was only stocked with catfish. It was about 15-20 feet deep. I caught 1 of 2 white catfish in the pond, measured 34.5 inches. I was young, probably fishing with a cheap zebco normally, but at this time, my dad took a bathroom break. Guess which line the fish was caught on. [:D] That fish was a beauty. We through him back in. Then a few years later some meanies were jumping the fence and fished the place out. The 1-3 pound catfish in that pound were some of the best eating catfish I have ever had.
  • Tyler WTyler W Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last Sumer me and my Fam went to horseshoe lake in memphise Arkansas and a weekend we cought 150 Crappie that everyone of one that we kept was over pound and half everyone should go fishing here at least once[^]
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Took my wife out fly fishing for the 1st time several years ago. The only fish she caught she snagged...this is the crazy part...her fly had snagged on a hook that was sticking out the trouts *!!! As I was holding this fish in my hands it wiggled and fell back into the water leaving me with a rusted hook, a 8 inch leader and a large stainless swivel. Made my stomach turn...I sure hope the fish survived.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ....ALL of them...[:D]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iwas fishing one day and caught a bass. I threw it back in and it jumped right back in the boat and pointed in its mouth. I had forgotten to take the hook out.....[:D][:D][:D]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was fishing in the hatchery with a lizard. Dragging it real slow and twiching it, was getting bored I had pulled it a lot and all the sudden out of know where this monster hit it. I instinctively started reeling and fighting. He put on quite a show, another boat was behind me with two guys in it watching. He danced across the top of the water, pulled hard, and flipped, but I kept reeling. Finally adrenalin rushing through me I was going to lip my first monster bass, he was big, 8-10 lbs. I reached into his mouth and he wriggled one more mighty time shaking the hook free and as fast as you could believe your eyes my prize catch was gone! I heard one of the other guys groan and say to his partner, "Man I would cry if I lost a fish that big". I wanted to, but I maintained my composure and after vainly tossing the torn lizard a few more times for appearance's I went home. (By the way if you were reading carefully you realize I never set the hook)!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • zacgzacg Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 2-barrel
    Iwas fishing one day and caught a bass. I threw it back in and it jumped right back in the boat and pointed in its mouth. I had forgotten to take the hook out.....[:D][:D][:D]

LMAO[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I went fishing with a buddy one day and while I caught nothing, he caught 5 medium sized white perch. The next day we went to a huge Billy Graham revival meeting. We sat up a grill in the parking lot and had a fish fry for 5,000 people, just using those 5 medium sized white perch which miraculously kept multiplying. Every time we pulled a fish out of the cooler, there would be more to replace it. Needless to say the Graham security people were not amused and shut us down. Probably a good thing because we were running out of bread.
  • remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we used to fish this 10 acre private pond on a nearby farm, the fishing was normally great so anything could be expected at any giving time and we knew that, one of the reasons we fished it so often. me buddy and i just got there and he said he was going to walk further down the bank and i said i'll stay there and catch up to him later. first cast.. 3lb bass.... threw it back and then 3-4 casts later i snagged a log, well at first till the log moved and i set the hook, after getting her in and weighing her she was 9lbs on the nose.... threw her back and on the very next cast back to the same spot i hooked another.... it weighed 8lbs 9oz! i hung my lure on the stump i was casting to a few casts later and never caught another fish .... my buddy hadnt even put a line in the water yet and i had already caught over 20 lbs of bass.
  • Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 5 years ago there was a private pond on a friend's place that was full of largemouth bass. My dad and I went out one afternoon/evening to help thin out the lake some. We were there for about 2 hours and caught probably 40-50 bass, all of them between 2lbs and 5lbs. At the request of the owner, we started putting some fish on the stringer to take home with us. We had one of those nylon stringers that you had to tie to the boat. Well, after I got done putting on our 7th bass of the evening, several of the fish decided they wanted a scenery change. There was nothing that I could do but watch as almost 20lbs of bass swam slowly away into the water. [:I][V] I about gave up fishing that day. But fortuntely my dad told me to forget about it and just keep fishing. So I did and we finished the night taking home 13 largemouth bass. Man, did those taste good.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fishing for grouper off the coast of Tarpon Springs.

Caught a 6' Nurse Shark instead. That was AWESOME. Caught about 30 Grey Snapper, and 3-4 Groupers(24" limit, couldn't keep any, all were too small).

Went to a small lake last year with my brother and dad. Primitive camping for 3 nights. Caught 100+ largemouth in 2 days, all but a handfull were over 14-16". We were so sick of catching fish that we didn't even go out on the 3rd day. Filleted 16 of em on the first day. Fried em up that night over the campfire that night. Mmmm, with baked beans, mmmm....

Doing it again this June, different lake, lotsa beer, and more of my family coming along. Really looking forward to it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was younger(around 6 or 7) I use to go fishing with my Grandpa quite often. He always was making jokes to me that if I wasn't behaving for him I would catch anything, but fish. His favorite thing to tell me was that I would catch an old "boot fish". You probably all ready know how the story goes, but I will finish for my own sake of laughing. One day we went fishing down by our local park and my Grandpa was yelling at me for not listening to something he had said. No sooner then he had started yelling, I had a fish on(or so I thought.) As I was reeling it in with my little snoopy fishing pole, my Grandpa burst out laughing. I had caught me a size 12 Rubber boot and according to my Grandpa, he has never seen me so angry.

Jon