In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Daiwa Minimite System

SecurityProSecurityPro Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
Found one of these broken down fishing rod (four parts) with an open face spinning reel in a black plastic case with belt loops to wear on a belt. Ultra lite package with what looks like 4lb test on the reel. I can't find any info on their site or the internet. How old is it? Are there any instructions available anywhere? How much did it cost? Is it a collectible?

Comments

• bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Try this site
    http://www.phantomfisher.com/featureMiniMite.htm

Looks like its from the late 70's.

Personally, I'd fish it. But I'll fish anything [:)]
  • SecurityProSecurityPro Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks bigoutside,

It's more than I knew and I had thought it looked like very high quality and engineering. I am going to thorough clean it, replace the old line and see if it can handle Guadalupe River trout below the dam near New Braunfels, Texas.

I really appreciate your information.
    edited November -1
    ARGGGGGGGG You're killing me.
    I'm waiting for the ice to melt.[:(!]

Have a blast. It should hold up fine.
    edited November -1
    In San Antonio, Texas the only ice we see is bought at the convenience store to ice down the beer. Here ice fishing is rooting around in the big wash tub for the last beer. Where are you?
    edited November -1
    Indianapolis. I'm trying to convince a buddy to go trout hunting this weekend. It's supposed to be up to 50 by then.
    Coldest winter I recall in the 8 years we've been here. Moved up from GA.

But you can't beat the summers here. I've been in TX in the summer. Its a bit too hot for me[:)]
    edited November -1
    You'd be right about that as it is very hot and humid especially in this area in the summer but we hardly notice it because we are so used to it but visitors complain vociferously; it's the price we pay to be able to play golf 340 days a year. I guess it is a series of compromises whereever you live or work.

Bigoutside what line of work are you in? I am a security consultant and pretty well travel all over. One of my clients, N.W.Getz, was the owner's advocate for the Colt's and is just putting the final touches on the new stadium.

I am getting the reel cleaned up today and your introduction to the site you provided allowed me to find the instructions and diagram, so thanks loads.
    edited November -1
    Stocks and bonds.
    Not much business travel lately, but I do get down to the gulf a couple of times a year.

Found the joy of sight fishing red fish a year or two ago and can't get enough of it.
    edited November -1
    I grew up in Galveston, Texas and we owned several hundred acres of estuary along the backside of the bay. The redfish would come in and tail for the crabs and other crustaceans. We used gold spoons back then and they were very effective. I now fish the lower coast and wade fishing is the most productive although kayaking is a close second and does increase your mobility. Let me know when and where if you come down this summer as my time is fairy flexible.

I emailed Daiwa and they emailed me back this morning that a manual for this rig is enroute to my address. Thanks for your help.
  • ccriderccrider Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SecurityPro
    Found one of these broken down fishing rod (four parts) with an open face spinning reel in a black plastic case with belt loops to wear on a belt. Ultra lite package with what looks like 4lb test on the reel. I can't find any info on their site or the internet. How old is it? Are there any instructions available anywhere? How much did it cost? Is it a collectible?
  • ccriderccrider Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Security, That was a great old Daiwa Mini-Mite you found. I've used one since it first came out in about '74. Caught Tuna in Costa Rica , salmon and trout in Alaska , BC, Yukon Terr. Five countries and 100's of fish. It was originally sold as a Travel kit, with a little compartment for lures. The rod is long gone but the reel is still OK. would love to have another for the Drum fish(reds) here in florida. Best regards and Tight lines, Doc
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a couple of similar sets from Daiwa, 6 peices and a reel in a box, we bought for motorcycle travel and flying to places with possible fishing. It actually works pretty well, and the action is better than you would expect. I would say you made a real decent find.