In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

vintage reel

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited December 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
got to digging in barn & found one of grandads old reels...he used to go fishing off of galveston in the 30-40's..this is a "long key" made by edward vom hofe....probably has not been in daylight for 55+ years & it looks shiny with very little use...dug up enough to know this is a rolls royce of tackles & would like to know more of its history...one of few things of his left...thanks

Comments

• BrunenBrunen Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can have substantial value, google vom hoffe and you will get lots of info, however they are quite heavy and I wouldn't bother fishing it as the drag system is probably dead by now. It does make a nice heirloom though.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reel has black ends 4-1/2" in diameter...4 sets of 2 rods 1/4 in diameter plus bridge with two big bolts & scalloped plate to fit rod all across spool of reel in chrome like metal...length of reel is 4-7/8 on outside of end plates being shiny black...crank is 4-3/8 between pin centers with offset black football shaped handle, other end is 3/4" ball shaped nut with screwdriver slot in head...behind crank is 5 star shaped piece 3' in diameter...on this side is a toggle handle 1-3/4" long that tips out pulling a rectangular metal shaft...ID plate 3/4" in diameter says long key, patented, made in usa...heavy thing...seems in almost new shape...not the little #800 i found in pics
    edited November -1
    Sounds cool, good luck with it.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    reel has black ends 4-1/2" in diameter...4 sets of 2 rods 1/4 in diameter plus bridge with two big bolts & scalloped plate to fit rod all across spool of reel in chrome like metal...length of reel is 4-7/8 on outside of end plates being shiny black...crank is 4-3/8 between pin centers with offset black football shaped handle, other end is 3/4" ball shaped nut with screwdriver slot in head...behind crank is 5 star shaped piece 3' in diameter...on this side is a toggle handle 1-3/4" long that tips out pulling a rectangular metal shaft...ID plate 3/4" in diameter says long key, patented, made in usa...heavy thing...seems in almost new shape...not the little #800 i found in pics

Pretty good discription but a few photo's can really make a difference..If U can, please post some pics..
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well after digging & searching i have correctly identified this reel as an Ocean City Mfg Co. Long Key 10/0 of Philadelphia, Pa. made in the 1940's...used for big fish, sharks, & bill fish...soooo i guess i will be the only one on Toronto lake to have one to catch BIG catfish, & gar...it has the free spool clutch but i don't know what is meant by fish alarm on the reel ???..model name was right but mfg was not, & the chase was fun...comparable to view is #180437568664 on ebay...i am still pic post challenged
    edited November -1
    Ocean city is worth nothing value wise compared to Vom Hoffe. It's like comparing ford to ferrari. That being said, a 10/0 Ocean City will tackle tuna and shark with ease, and is built like a tank. Use it, and remember grandpa fondly.