In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spring Time White Perch

BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
edited March 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
Usually, we just fish either jigs or shiners on 10-12ft fly rods with a reel like this:

http://ShakespearReel.notlong.com

We fish the shallow end of a certain lake, when they pile up in there to spawn. We usually hit the brush, floating grass, willow, cyrpess, and anything else that might hold some fish. My question is how do you fish them, what places do you most commonly find them, and what type of gear do you use. Looks like my normal location will be a no go this year due to horrible lake management.

They draw the water down every year during the winter months, and this year there hasn't been enough rain to fill it back up. I truly think they've ruined what used to be an excellent fishing lake.[:(]

Comments

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Beermaid, I have had 2 of these types of reels, a Zebco and?, don't remember the name, put them on an ultra light 4-4 1/2' rod. BOTH had trouble with the little peg(?) that picks the line up on the retrieve. I tried all kinds of line 4-6lb, with no luck.I really liked the under rod, and the trigger set up, if they would only retrieve. Used one trout fishing one year and would have to pull the line to the side everytime to get it to pick up and retrieve the line...[xx(]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    Beermaid, I have had 2 of these types of reels, a Zebco and?, don't remember the name, put them on an ultra light 4-4 1/2' rod. BOTH had trouble with the little peg(?) that picks the line up on the retrieve. I tried all kinds of line 4-6lb, with no luck.I really liked the under rod, and the trigger set up, if they would only retrieve. Used one trout fishing one year and would have to pull the line to the side everytime to get it to pick up and retrieve the line...[xx(]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif

I've got a Zebco on my Browning fly rod that I've never had a problem with. I'll have to go take a look at it later on to see what model it is, but we've been using them for years without a hitch. I don't know what to make of your problem, b/c mine has always worked to well. Could it of just been a bad reel or two?
    edited November -1
    Beeramid, might just have been 2 defecctive reels. On a short ultra light rod, when they would retrieve, I loved the design and function.
    The trigger release was the nuts, perfect placement for ease of casting you know. I might just have to get another one.

...What pound line do you use? The ultra lite rod and this type reel made a great rig for chunkin small 1/16-1/8oz little spinners and jigs, I just wish mine would have worked. When I trout fish, I use two red slamon eggs on one of thos tiny * hooks where the two eggs hide the whole hook; this rig is perfect for that type of fishing; any other rig is just too much. When you get a pound perch or crappie on this rig, you had a GREAT time!

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    I think I've got 8lbs test on there right now, but my Grandfather uses Spiderwire.[:0][:D] With a 10 or 11ft fly rod you can really do some damage to the white perch, because you can stick it so far back in trees and other cover. I forgot to mention that we also use one of those quick releases for the jigs, that way we can switch out and try other colors or stick a shiner on. Its sure is fun when you get a good sized white perch, or the occasional bass, or 4lbs catfish.[8D]
    edited November -1
    Beeamid, by white perch, I guess your talking crappie?
    The 30 acre ranch lake was stocked about 6-7 years ago with 2-3" crappie, then a couple years later with the same size and amount about 500 each time. Up till a couple of years ago there had only been 2-3 caught, of course evrybody (what few people are allowed to fish it) bass fishes.

...Couple of years ago I was fishing a 3' sheer chalk rock drop off taht runs about 100'...in 5-7 ft of water. I was using a small cartruese crankbait and thought I had latched onto about a little pound and a half bass, got it in...and it was a crappie. I kept working that drop off and ended up with a 54qt ice chest full, before I went back to bass fishing, loads of fun, and great eating! If I can get caught up a little, and the weather doen't kill it, I'm going to go and stay for 2-3 days next week sometime...boy am I ready!...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

seal3.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    Beeamid, by white perch, I guess your talking crappie?
    The 30 acre ranch lake was stocked about 6-7 years ago with 2-3" crappie, then a couple years later with the same size and amount about 500 each time. Up till a couple of years ago there had only been 2-3 caught, of course evrybody (what few people are allowed to fish it) bass fishes.

...Couple of years ago I was fishing a 3' sheer chalk rock drop off taht runs about 100'...in 5-7 ft of water. I was using a small cartruese crankbait and thought I had latched onto about a little pound and a half bass, got it in...and it was a crappie. I kept working that drop off and ended up with a 54qt ice chest full, before I went back to bass fishing, loads of fun, and great eating! If I can get caught up a little, and the weather doen't kill it, I'm going to go and stay for 2-3 days next week sometime...boy am I ready!...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

seal3.gif

Yeah thats what I was talking about, seems every part of the country has a differnt name for the same fish. Many down here will identify it as "Sac a Lait". Sounds like you have a great place to catch them, the place I normally go isn't looking to hot this year. Thats because the numb skulls on the lake commision think its healthy if they draw the lake down each winter.[:(!] Sad part is that it was just starting to recover from when the drew the water level down during a drought. That end of the lake was completely dry for 3 years, there was regular old grass growing out there. Guess what........... They've done it again, forrest gump was right "Stupid is as stupid does".[:(!][:(!]

You migh also try an ultra lite spinning rod with a bettle spin. Its also fun to pick them up on a smaller spinner bait. They're just fun to catch anyway you look at it.
    edited November -1
    Beeramid, LA. hu? Hope you came thru the big blow with a minumum of damage. Yeah, lake at the ranch is awesome, biggest bass was 12+ 5-6 yrs ago(?) and she was put back. LOTS if BIG channel caught. Didn't think there were any crappie till I found 'em, thought the two batches we put out in hadn't taken, since there had not been but one caught...till I found 'em that day.

...Big 'ol sunperch, and hybrid perch93lbs. biggest so far) too. I used to just be relaxing on the dock and fish straight off of it with 1/4 " X 2' strips of bologna [:D], and haul up pound+ perch (brim) till I got tired of it. Now they have moved out into spots in the big creek running thru the lake and around other structure. I always said if those pech grew regularly to 5-6 lbs., there would be perch clubs and tournements! Fighting little beasts for their size!...If the weather does not kill me next week, Im a goin for about 3 days!and plan on gettin in a liitle hog shootin too, we'er overrun with 'em. Course 2 of those days will be spent with ranch stuff, its sprimg you know, at least the momma cows think so!....[:D]

...Plus I'm trying to get 6 topwaters some guys ordered fininised. Once I got good into 'em, it got cold and icy...then it rained off and on for a week! 4" one day!...but we NEEDED the rain bad. All the cold and humidity just stops the coats of paint drying...and from start of base coats to colors, to final clear coats...there are about a dozen or more on each topwater...so cold/rain just puts a halt to my work. My workshop isnt heated, hell down here when it gets too cold to be out there, I just don't go out there! It doesnt get and STAY cold for too long at a time, but this last ice storm it stayed cold for 6 days, brrrr!.....[8D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    We were not affected by Katrina over in my area, we only had a steady breeze on that day. We got ours a few weeks later with Rita, I'm a half hour east of Lake Charles on I-10. No roof damage or anything like that, just some tree's that needed pruning after it was over. A lot of homes over here had, and still have blue tarps on their roofs. One home here was completely distroyed by a fallen tree, and another was badly damaged from another. I don't know if you saw any of the news after Rita, but they showed a damaged gas station down town on Fox news.

I may get a chance to try the white perch out this weekend, though I don't really expect to catch anything due to the poor managment of the the lake, but what the heck?

I really like the looks of the baits that you make, one of these days I may have to place an order. They look really nice, and I'm a sucker for a good top water bait.
    edited November -1
    ...well I'm going to be finishing up the guys by end of this week, finally! I have been taken pics of em last 20 or so, will take some of these when their finished. Then start another batch. From now on I'm just going to make 'em and post the finished baits, then if somebody wants one, they can let me know.

You know, I'm from the old school where you try your best to do everybody right...especially the people you know...and after you get to know the members here, and they order a bait, I feel like it has to be 110% right. The weather hurt me this last batch, and trying to get them to the guys bout wore my nerves out. So, from now on like I said, when I make some I'll post pics...that way I don't "push" myself so hard to get 'em done. To make balsa wood tough it takes several coats of a certain base coat, then actually about 5+ coats of paint...then about 10 coats of clear!..not counting any designs. Not any money in if you figure your time, well I take that back, if I'm lucky and everything goes right , sometimes I can make sevety five cents to a dollar twenty five an hour...usually less than a dollar!

...Thought it was way up to dollar seventy five till I kept up with my time. No matter, I like to make 'em, have more people want them than time to make 'em...but I'll keep carvin and paintin! Sure feels good, and looks good to catch and see that old bass on a bait you made, and to hear from other people that catch fish on your bait!...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif