In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fishing for Dummies

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited April 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
Okay...I'll be the first to admit that I'm ignorant on the subject. I know the difference between the major types of reels (fly, spinning, spincast and baitcast) but I really don't know which is best for what. There are a lot of small rivers around here that contain various types of trout, bass and catfish. I have been looking at some baitcasting reels. I've heard they are hard to "tune". Is this true?

My previous fishing experience involves going out to the Missouri river with a buddy, tying a sinker and a hook with a worm to a line and casting it in the river while drinking Budweiser and waiting for a bite. No skill. No finesse. No strategy.

I'd like to do some catfishing. The ones I've caught were pathetically small. Is a baitcasting reel a good all-around reel? Are their certain types of line that are better for certain kinds of reels? My Rhino spincasting reel didn't like the Fireline too much but I've seen bass guys use the heck out of it on television.

Is there a good place to start for the ignorant when trying to get some education on the subject?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey ids - i LOVE baitcasting reels. yes, at first they can be difficult, but once you "dial" them in...they cant be beat. i have numerous daiwa baitcasters, and love every one.

with baitcasters, they have a 'magnetic drag' which dictates how fast your spool will spin. typically the faster your spool spins, the farther the cast, however MUCH more prone to the dreaded "backlash". the more you crank it down, the slower your spool will spin and the shorter the cast.

practice makes perfect with these things. getting the 'thumbing' down and the magnetic drag set to the way you like will take a cast or 2 (or like me..2 days)..[V][;)][:D]

from what you are describing, a spin cast reel should do you just fine. i use a spin cast for walleyes and other pan fish. baitcasters are more or less worthless when it comes to this (walleyes...i jig)

also, dont over look your rod. it can either make or break your setup. everyone has their preference on rods, but im partial to g-loomis, and fenwick for panfish. ive used st. croix in the past and didnt care to use another.

if you want, i can send you a baitcaster (you'll have to find a rod) to try before you buy one...hell i could gave it to you last time you were in the cities [;)]

remember, like everything in life, you get what you pay for...
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IDS - i just found a browning baitcaster model CI 1000 H laying around.

it has a 6.3:1 gear ratio (not trying to talk down to you, but that means for every 1 rotation of the reel, the spool goes around 6.3 times)

the reel has 7 ball bearings. i used this particular one last year as a back up when i bass fished my weekly league.

its yours FREE if you want it. its nothing fancy, but it will suit you, hell anyone extremely well....if you want, ill throw on some new power pro braided line (in my mind the absolute best)..just let me know your target fish, so i can try and get the right lb. test line.

if you want it, send me your snail mail and ill get it out. im leaving for argentina on friday, so maybe i can get it out before then, if not, ill be back 3 or 4 April.

scott

edit: on second thought, ill throw on some mono (much much easier to get backlashes out [;)][:D])
  • Options
    Shadow62Shadow62 Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IDS,
    no need to get any expensive Reels.
    just get you a ZEBCO 33 and put Spider
    wire on it and sinker, hook and worm then
    drop in the water.
    we can get into fishing for Catfish in MAY
    in NorthEast Ohklahoma for some small (6-8#)
    channel or something bigger with a little more
    fight in it. Like 20, 30, 40 lbs
    fishing license is $42.00 it's good till the
    end of the year.

quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    Okay...I'll be the first to admit that I'm ignorant on the subject. I know the difference between the major types of reels (fly, spinning, spincast and baitcast) but I really don't know which is best for what. There are a lot of small rivers around here that contain various types of trout, bass and catfish. I have been looking at some baitcasting reels. I've heard they are hard to "tune". Is this true?

My previous fishing experience involves going out to the Missouri river with a buddy, tying a sinker and a hook with a worm to a line and casting it in the river while drinking Budweiser and waiting for a bite. No skill. No finesse. No strategy.

I'd like to do some catfishing. The ones I've caught were pathetically small. Is a baitcasting reel a good all-around reel? Are their certain types of line that are better for certain kinds of reels? My Rhino spincasting reel didn't like the Fireline too much but I've seen bass guys use the heck out of it on television.

Is there a good place to start for the ignorant when trying to get some education on the subject?

Thanks.