In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Frogs? Anybody Else Eat BullFrogs?...

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited April 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...a lot of frogs at the lake. Love them frog legs, anybody else?
I don't gig them...plenty around, why go to the trouble?
My Rem 514 "frog gun" is under going a nice beautiful custom stock
change, cause I screwed it up [:D], long story. I have shot hundreds of 'em thru the years, and caught a bunch on topwater baits.
...Usually when I catch 'em, throw 'em back...cause I don't want to clean just one, then end up catching several more [:0], duh.

The snakes have been cleared out for years...99 9/10ths of the the snakes that is...their biggest predator...after a great "eradication" campaign [:D]...but that is a whole different story...lots of shooting for several years...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif

Comments

• mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    My mother taught me to catch them with a long pole, and a small piece of red yarn on a small hook.
    We caught them on the Severn river in Canada, when my folks had a place up there next to grandmas place, years, and years ago.
    We would also bust em with a canoe paddle if we could get close enough.
    Biggest darn frogs I ever saw, with hind legs like a chicken.
    Very, very tastey critters fried up golden brown in a cast iron frying pan.
    I still manage to hunt them, down around here, and they even have a season on em, if you can believe that.
    I have a lot of the HUGE South Carolina Bull Frogs imported to my big pond in the woods, that will be eating size next year, and when they croak the ground moves.
    My old octagon barreled Marlin 39 22 rim fire has put more than one in a sack [;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I haven't seen a bullfrog in years. I would like to try them though.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love em!!![:p] Bout 2 times a year we get out at night and gig a bunch. A real treat... Last time we used this batter called "Shore-Lunch" that you can buy at Gander MT and fried them in that...Really Good...
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    We went out last spring and grabbed (with bare hands) about 65 in a couple of hours. Talk about a blast, the gators were out to.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    As a kid we used to go frogging, no gig, just hands cause gigs are illegal in Kansas. Or at least they were then, don't know if they still are. Loads of fun! Good eating too!

Loved to watch the legs twitch while soaking in salt water.
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Used to have'em out the kazoo around here when I was a kid.Loved goin' after'em all night up and down the creek and hittin' all the neighbor's stock tanks along the way.

Haven't been enough around here to even mess with in many years.[:(]

Fireants? Chemicals?(It is a farming community)

I don't know,but I sure do miss'em.[V]

BW
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BOBBYWINS
    Used to have'em out the kazoo around here when I was a kid.Loved goin' after'em all night up and down the creek and hittin' all the neighbor's stock tanks along the way.

Haven't been enough around here to even mess with in many years.[:(]

Fireants? Chemicals?(It is a farming community)

I don't know,but I sure do miss'em.[V]

BW

The place we wen't to is a drainage canal out in an area with a whole lot of cotton. I would say that the chemicals used haven't hurt the population out there.
  • KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lord yes. I ate some last weekend. There is a restaurant about 30-45 minutes away from me that serves all you can eat froglegs on friday and saturday. And they are awesome. The fried shrimp is great too. May have to go back this weekend
  • blugillblugill Member Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went when I was a kid in West Virginia. We gigged a gunny sack full.My cuz cleaned them all that night and salted them to show me how the legs jump around when off the body. His wife fried them for breakfast that morning. She didnt know they had been salted so she did it again. What a salty un-edible mess
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    [br My Rem 514 "frog gun" is under going a nice beautiful custom stock
    change, cause I screwed it up [:D], long story. I have shot hundreds of 'em thru the years, and caught a bunch on topwater baits.
    postpics.gif
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I haven't seen a bullfrog in years. I would like to try them though.

They taste like chicken.
  • br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    heck i love froglegs wish i had some rite now.
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    No,Dave.
    BUT,over a period of time,your eyes will move to the top of your head.

[:0][:0]

BW