In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bait Fishing and Release

woodguruwoodguru Member Posts: 2,850
edited June 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
What do you all think about a trout fisherman that uses power bait or nightcrawlers and releases good but damaged fish in order to catch bigger ones?

We were fishing at Rock Creek Lake in the Mammoth Lakes area in October when we saw a guy that had about 15 or twenty dead fish around him that were nice fat 2 pounders, he had a couple of three pound fish and a 4 or 5 pounder on the stringer.

He was in the prime spot that gives up a limit in about 20 minutes so when we got there and saw "our spot" taken we figured he'd be done in a few minutes. When we saw him ripping the hooks out of nice fish with pliers I was pissed. My wife's dad was telling me to leave it be when I said I was going to go tell him he was done. Finally after another 10 good fish I had had enough. Don was trying to stop me and my wife told him to leave me be that there was no way the guy would even argue with me.

I walked up to him and told him to pack up his stuff and go. He said he wasn't done and I told him yes you are done. He said he still had two fish to catch for a limit and I told him to get the two that were dying three feet away from the shore. He started yelling I couldn't make him go and I told him he was right, but that I could kick his * if he didn't. I told him I would have the store call the sheriff and game warden while I held his fat butt so they could see the 20+ dead fish floating and dying within sight of his spot.

He left cussing and swearing and giving me lip, but he left. We couldn't stand to see so many fat 2 and 2-1/2 lb fish go to waste so we took 15 (5 each) up to the house and came back to get the rest and fish long enough to finish out our limits from there, which was only a few fish each. We had a large bunch of family in two cabins so we were eating a fair amount of fish anyway.

People who have that kind of disregard for nice fish piss me off. They don't understand that's why people use artificial lures and flies so that smaller fish can be released. My wife and I keep even small fish if they have been hooked roughly. There is way too much denial amongst many fisherman that will try to tell you a fish will live when it doesn't have a chance.

Comments

• elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    It drives me crazy when people do this!!! I have no problems with people using powerbait or whatever but that is what I call a catch and kill fishing trip. I bet 75% or more of the fish caught on powerbait die if released.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the fish & game folks really want to do something for conservation this is the place to start.
    There needs to be a rule against this trophy killing. It circumvents the law and its wrong.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trout seem to be so delicate in comparison to other fishing species. I would be pissed off if I saw that too.
  • drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    Thats true slob outdoorsmanship. We have a warden hotline in our state and I think I might have used it. If thats just not gonna get anything done, I probably would have done what you did. Thing is, a warden can get his license taken for a season or two. He deserved you scarin him but he will be doin the same thing soon somewhere else.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When fishing power bait I use a circle hook. Your catch number will go down, but the fish wont swallow the hook.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    woodguru...kudos to you. Part of the problem today is that in the era of "Political Correctness" folks turn the other cheek and walk away. You didn't, stood up for those who could not stand up for themselves (the trout) and took care of business. Sadly, bums like this get away with this kind of inappropriate behavior because folks tolerate it. Not the first time this louse has done it and I'll bet (hope) he will start to look around himself more carefully next time. Some folks just need a good buttkicking...sounds like this guy fits the bill. Good job!
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Well, unless i'm using big live minnows for bait, i set at the first good tap.I nearly ALWAYS liphook the fish.
    I would have run the dude off too.
  • VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    Long ago and far away,,, I lived on Lake Lanier in N. Georgia.
    I spent many hours on that lake.
    An old boy that lived around there befreinded me. He was real bad
    to drink. Usually carried a 1/2 pint of Jack in his tackle box
    when he went out fishing with me. He had about six tackle boxes, and
    they all contained antique lures that I marveled at. I should have
    took what he offered to give me but I didn't. But he did leave a
    little plastic box in my boat that never got back to him and it has
    some of the smallest fishing hooks in it that I have ever seen. I
    put on my glasses to look at them, and I have no idea what they would
    be used for

Picture584.jpg?t=1271638626
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fly tieing?
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
    edited November -1
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I'd say fly tying too. Pop always said "U can catch a big fish,on a tiny hook but,U'll never catch a tiny fish, on a big hook"..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    I'd say fly tying too. Pop always said "U can catch a big fish,on a tiny hook but,U'll never catch a tiny fish, on a big hook"..

Your Pop was a wise man...