In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2 New Tipups

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited December 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
KIT.jpg

I just got done building these.

Anyone else on here icefish or just me?

Comments

• Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no idea what those are. I'm from SC and I've never been ice fishing, so tell me what those things are and what they do!
  • Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never been icefishing, but I've wanted to for quite awhile. The tipups alert the angler of a fish bite. (in laymans terms) I'm sure RUGERGUNZ knows much more about the technical terms than I do [:D]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How did you make those and what is the frabill things on the bottom of them?

I can't wait to go ice fishing! I always seem to catch more fish per time ice fishing then I do regular fishing.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have lots of short trips planned for this year. My FIL has started hammering on me about some of my hot spots back home. I will keep you all posted.
  • CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never used tip ups. Just got back into ice fishing a few years ago. Sure has come a long way since the days I sat on a 5 gal bucket and wound the line around two pegs on a $2 rod.

Can you tell me more about your tip ups? What are the advantages of yours vs those on the market? And do you sell them?

I know...I am a dumb one but....LOL
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, I will try to give a decent explanation of how to use tipups.

First with icefishing, you need to drill a hole through the ice, usually it is 8" or greater diameter.

The tipups in the pic are in stored position. The reel pictured about where the flags are can pivot on the bolt and go down in the hole. The entire trap sits over the hole and the reel is in the water in the hole.

You place bait, usually a live shiner on a hook and give him a set amount of slack line. The flag on the spring is then set under a trip that is connected to the reel.

If a fish takes your bait, the trip releases the flag and the flag stands straight up. This is how you know you have a bite.

The reels are usually freespooling, so when a fish takes the bait, he can just keep going with it and without a drag he usually wont spit it out.

After you see a flag, you pull the tipup up and place it beside the hole and handline the fish. The reel is only for storage of line.

I hope I have expained this well. It is much easier to show someone how to icefish that it is to explain it to them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    How did you make those and what is the frabill things on the bottom of them?

These are actually Eskimo brand tipups that I rebuilt with plastic lumber replacing the original wood and stainless hardware.

The Frabill things are Strike indicators. They are new on the market this year. I put them on to get my icefishing buddies wound up.

When the pin is pulled bu the flag, 6 leds strobe and a siren goes off. The siren is LOUD and sounds like a car alarm, it goes through about 8 different tones/patterns and keeps going till the pin is replaced or the button is turned off.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cooch

Can you tell me more about your tip ups? What are the advantages of yours vs those on the market? And do you sell them?

I know...I am a dumb one but....LOL

There are no real advantages of mine to others on the market. I just like to be different and unique. Also gave me a project to do when I was bored awhile back. They are a little beefier than before, but they really didnt need to be.

No, I dont sell them as they are very cost prohibitive. If you would like some, they really arent that hard to build. I get all my plastic at Home Depot and can cut it with a regular table saw blade, router bits etc.