In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Forty miles off shore at Frying Pan Towers.

MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
edited April 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Frying Pan Towers is forty miles out of South Port, NC at the end of Frying Pan Shoals.

About 60' deep and great fishing. Plenty of Grouper, Kings, Sharks, Black fin Tuna. This used to be a Texas off shore rig and it was converted to a maned Coast Guard station then finally an unmanned station. It was scheduled to be torn down and replaces with a weather buoy but a dive club bought the tower and now is will stand till it collapses into the ocean.

On a good weekend we will anchor off from the tower and stay all weekend. The shady side of the tower is great for catching Maui Maui.

P7030062.jpg

Comments

• wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank King Neptune for structure
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    They should turn that tower into a home.I'd LOVE to live there!!
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    They should turn that tower into a home.I'd LOVE to live there!!

Actually Coast Guard Personnel used to live on it. The dive club that bought it plans to make it habitable again. I guess they will use it as a dive platform.

I spent many of weekend out there in my boat and 60' under my boat. Huge lobsters out there.
    edited November -1
    Crayfish/Spineys or real "Lobster"?
    edited November -1

Actually I think they are called something like Spiny lobsters. They do not have claws like Maine lobster so you only have the tails to eat. They get way bigger that the ones you see in restaurants. I prefer the smaller ones to the larger ones due to them being as tough to eat.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

Actually I think they are called something like Spiny lobsters. They do not have claws like Maine lobster so you only have the tails to eat. They get way bigger that the ones you see in restaurants. I prefer the smaller ones to the larger ones due to them being as tough to eat.

Their is some great meat in the body,legs and tenticle bases as well.Very sweet,better than the tails,i think.Not as much or as easy to get at but really sweet..[^]
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    MMOMEQ-55....looks like a great structure to fish. We in DE Bay have some structures like it but nothing as big. Big up some nice fish from around them. Good luck! When are you going out there again? Let us know what kind of luck you have!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    MMOMEQ-55....looks like a great structure to fish. We in DE Bay have some structures like it but nothing as big. Big up some nice fish from around them. Good luck! When are you going out there again? Let us know what kind of luck you have!

I will be going out about every other weekend. I keep my boat down at South Port at a friends house during the summer. We fish when it is not to hot and dive when to hot to fish.

Always Maui Maui in the shadows of the tower.

This is great structure for fishing and diving. This tower is at the end of about 40 miles of shoals. There are places out there where the water is only 5' deep. Many boats have sunk because of this.