In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

good baitcasting reel for my son

torquimatatorquimata Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
edited January 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
I'm a hunter but my 14 yr old has turned into quite a largemouth bass fisherman this summer. He has asked Santa for a baitcasting reel and I have no clue as to which one is good. I want to spend under a $100. Any advice is greatly appreciated. He fishes mainly in ponds and lakes in Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Thank you!

Comments

• buckshot70buckshot70 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Abu Garcia 5500 or C5.
    I have a couple and they are really durable and perform well.
    If you are looking for a low profile reel
    Diawa Advantage
    Pflueger Purist or Trion(low profile)
    Shimano Cruxis

I also have Diawa and Pflueger low profile reels and they work great as well.
    I hope that helps, those reels should all be around $100 or less.
    John
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    When I needed to learn new cuss words, I picked up baitcasting. Still like a ul spinning combo with 10lb superline (1-2lb diameter) and small/micro baits.

If he's new to baitcasters, find one with a magnetic control for the spool. And buy him a good knife with real tweezers, etc. in it.
  • buckshot70buckshot70 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going with a spinning reel and something like Fireline or Power Pro is an option for fishing docks or light cover.
    If you are fishing heavy cover you really can't beat a bait caster to get fish out of thick stuff. If you are fishing heavy cover you will need a pretty solid rod as well, too soft a rod will give the fish the control...not you and that is a bad thing.
    JB
  • beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A zebco quantum is an easy reel for someone to learn to cast. They have magnets and a brake. I learned on the old Diawa Millionare, which was tough. I can throw my quantums with just a plastic worm and no weight.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Ok, I have said this a thousand times. I have/had reels that cost up to $300 bucks, and all points in between.
    A GREAT reel, that has ALL the goodies to make it easy to use...and is extremely durable, reliable....is a PINNACLE.

You can purchase off FleaBay, or at Acadamey, WallyWorld. For the money, you get a LOT! I think one w/3-5 ball bearings (very important for it being "smooth", all the anti-backlash goodies, new, can be had for WAY less than $100! it will cast into tomorrow! A $100 bucks will buy you a VERY nice Pinnacle, comparable to a $200 plus reel.
    All will have roller bearings also, but th eball bearings are what give you that smooth as silk feel...which also makes it easier for the less experienced to learn to cast better, easier, and more accurately.

Im talking about comparissons to Shimano, Qauntim and other high dollar quality reels...Pinnacle for the money will hold its on.
    They definately are very worthy of a look-see before buying any other. I think I own 3 now....along with the others I mentioned above. Try the net too.

I took a chance last year and bought a reel from a co. that was known for their salt water reels, Tica...I had never heard of them.

This is a nice, palmable baitcasting reel, with 12 ball bearings.....plus one or two roller bearing!!! And yes, it casts a country mile, and is smooth as a babies butt! Very, very well made too. Will compare easy to one of the high dollar Shimanos.

You are cheating you and your son if you dont go check out the Pinnacles....Slap it on a nice ALL STAR rod, and you have one heck of a nice rig...[;)]

PS FleaBay is a great place to find a great deal on a Pinnacle, new/used...and its the right time of the year to buy too!

After bass fishing for over 35 years, and being pretty successful at it, I have learned to try "new" things, break away from the crowd, "name brand" wise. Pinnacle is a very very underated reel for the bucks.

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Abu/Garcia 5000s and 5500s. You can get a new one for around $60 at Wally World. Great reels, and darn near indestructible with very little maintenance required. An Ugly stick for $30 and he'll be set for a loong time. The 5000 is the standard speed retrieve (best for all around) and the 5500 is the high speed retrieve. There are other models on fleabay from time to time, and used ones show up in tackle shops. Any of the 4600s, 5000s or 6000s series are good.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shamano Slabsides...I have three of them currently. Bought my sons each one last year also.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    someone brought back an old thread.