In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Penn Spinning Reel???

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,005 ******
edited January 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
Anyone like these? I came up with one from an estate sale, and was thinking of putting it on the auction here. (NOT FLEABAY)

It's a big-un. Very heavy fresh water or light salt water. Came with two spools. Looks like it holds about a mile of mono.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,005 ******
    edited November -1
    Here is what it looks like:

MVC-001S.jpg

MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-004S.jpg

MVC-009S.jpg

So, what do you think?

Thanks.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Penn reels have a good rep for being strong and dependable. The 8500 SS should also be popular with both fresh and salt water fishermen. I have one of the larger Penn reels that I used for salmon and salt water fishing. A quick check on another site shows the 8500 SS getting bids in the $50.00 range.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 Penn fishing reels and I will never buy another brand. I have the PG(Power Graph) 7000 for Musky and catfish etc. and a newer CV(Captiva) 2000 for my regular fishing and I love them both. The are of high quality and yet very affordable. Oil the ball bearings every once in a while and there is no reason that they shouldn't last a liftime IMO.

Jon
  • Options
    littlebenolittlebeno Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live near the Hegins pa. Penn reel plant they went under out of business a few years ago. I was told these reels are now being made in china is that true ?? I have pretty many older models I knew a few guys that worked there and they would bring them home for me from time to time they sure been a dependable reel.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pair of Penns for ultralight spinning, both are 30+ years old and both are like new and work perfectly. Excellent reels. If I did any heavy fishing I would sure be a bidder.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Penn reels are some of the best on the market. Made in Philadelphia, and been around for a LOOOoong time. They are all i use, except 1 OKUMO, that has a "Bait-runner" lever.It's a 2-stage drag system.It allows the fish to run with your bait. All U do is wait for it to take off,and flip the lever.In baitrunner mode, you adjust the stage-1 drag, just tight enough that the live bait can baaarely take line.