In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pond bluegills

EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
Well I'm still moving into the apartment slowly but got a few times to go with bobbers and worms to the pond. Damn good bluegill spot. The bass are there but just won't bite, had a few hits on a frog but they never took it whole. Had a kid the land owner lets shoot groundhogs come by and he shot two snapping turtles in a half hour. I took the Ruger Super blackhawk down and tried to hit one but shot under it, I think the wake and noise would of killed the turtle[:D]. They want all the turtles gone and we saw at least 4 in an hour. I only kept two big gills as they got hooked deep and no use in wasting them.
I'll get my computer up the apt soon and then dial-up will kill me... see ya's.

Comments

• mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Get your self a flash light and a can and when it gets dark check the lawn out for some of those big nightcrawlers, bass love them more than the garden varity of worms.
    Hook em through the belt and toss em in the water and hang on tight [:D]
    I've managed to catch big bass with them when all else failed.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    Get your self a flash light and a can and when it gets dark check the lawn out for some of those big nightcrawlers, bass love them more than the garden varity of worms.
    Hook em through the belt and toss em in the water and hang on tight [:D]
    I've managed to catch big bass with them when all else failed.

I used to flood an area of our yard in order to do this. Got be to quick to catch those boogers [:)]
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...oh man...flashlights and waterhose...do it the "old" way...[:D]

take and drive a wood stake w/notches in the sides, into the ground. Then you take the blade on an axe, and rake it up and down the stake, over the nothces; which "vibrates" the ground...and up come the worms!

...only kidding[:D]...I read that somewhere...I think a flashlight and/or water would be much easier...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    [brI read that somewhere...
    so it was a joke......[:D]
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    You are right Bloviator. I've done it myself. The stick wasn't notched however.
    Just drive a wooden stake in the ground and rub across the top of it with a large rough rock to set up a vibration. Worms come right out of the ground. I think they called it 'fiddlin'.

Thanks---Peabo
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Reminds me of a joke:
    Little Johnny got a chemistry set for his birthday.
    Several days later his father looked out the window where Johnny had been playing with his chemistry set, and there was little johnny with a hammer driving something into the ground. He went out and ask him what he was doing. Johnny said "I'm driving these worms back into the ground. I spilt something I had been mixing with my chemistry set and these worms came up out of the ground and then got very stiff, so I decided to drive them back into the ground"
    His father said 'Son give me some of that stuff and if it does what I hope it will, I'll buy you a new a new BB gun"

A couple of days later little Johnny found a new tricycle in the garage. He asked his dad 'What is that for?" His Dad said, 'Remember what I told you the other day about your chemistry set and the mixture you gave me?" 'Yeah , but you promised me a new BB gun'> I know son, and here it is. The Tricycle is from your mother."[:0]

Thanks---Peabo
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    OK now how about this one-
    Drive two steel stakes into the ground about 4 foot across from each other after it has been hosed down enough to be good and damp, and then hook up your jumper cables to it and to your truck battery, and fire up the motor, and watch em pop up like little Johnnys dad did [:D]
    edited November -1
    mrbruce...peabo[:D][:D][:D]

...and DaBow...susposedly works...I just think it would be easier with a light, or whatever....rather than goin thru all the drama of sticks, axes, and such...to do it "the old" way...That, is what I was kidding about...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • willdallas2006willdallas2006 Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    OK now how about this one-
    Drive two steel stakes into the ground about 4 foot across from each other after it has been hosed down enough to be good and damp, and then hook up your jumper cables to it and to your truck battery, and fire up the motor, and watch em pop up like little Johnnys dad did [:D]

My Mothers husband used to do that, except he would use AC. It seemed to work well.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    If you are seeing multiple turtles in a short period of time, they are probably not snappers. If they are swimming in water away from shore, with head sticking out of water, they are not snappers. If they are basking on logs or other structure, they are for sure not snappers.

Snappers like to wait on the bottom for prey animals. They will likely be where they don't have to move far to get food or air. They rarely swim, and never bask.

You are probably seeing sliders and/or map turtles, handsome creatures that enhance the natural beauty of a pond, and pose no danger to the fish population.
    edited November -1
    NUNN quote:You are probably seeing sliders and/or map turtles, handsome creatures that enhance the natural beauty of a pond, and pose no danger to the fish population.

...Sliders? Map? The ones at the ranch lake...a LOT of redear(?) the ones you used to be able to buy at the dime store, they were like 2" across. Green shell, w/yellow stripes thru it and a yellow belly, and a red "ear".

I thought all turtles ate fish eggs?

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Snappers come up for air all the time, and will stay momentarily before decending again. If you want to clean out that pond you need to run a turtle line. Do this by running a trout line above the water with the bait only 1 inch in the water. I like livers and cut bait. And don't kill snappers if you aren't going to eat them. There really aren't that many around, and they are starting to become a threatened species. I believe the alligator snapper is endangered, but I'm not certain.

mmmmm....snapper...

Ben
    edited November -1
    A red ear is a slider. It is sort of a generic name that they earned from their habit of sliding quickly off their basking places and into the water if threatened. Back when I was into herpetology, it was in the genus Pseudemys,along with all the other sliders and cooters. "*" came from an African dialect in which the word "kuta" meant turtle. I have learned since that the genus Pseudemys has been absorbed into the genus Chrysemys,with the painted turtles.

I can't authoritatively state that turtles don't hurt fish populations by eating fish eggs, but I have observed that most bodies of water of any size have both fish and turtles. The small lake I fished a few days ago is teeming with bass and bluegill, and also has a nice population of turtles and snakes.

One reason the snapper has such a long neck is so that it can lie on the bottom in shallow water, and extend its nose above the surface to get air without having to actually move. The turtles I see around here are mostly red ears. There are snappers, mud turtles, musk turtles and softshells, but they generally stay below the surface.

I used to shoot turtles, but I don't do it anymore. Turtles are cool, and shooting into the water is dangerous.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    I used to shoot turtles, but I don't do it anymore. Turtles are cool, and shooting into the water is dangerous.

I agree. Also, a healthy amphibian population is a good indication of a healthy pond. Visa Versa, if you lose your amphibians, chances are you have a polution problem.

Ben
    edited November -1
    Turtles are reptiles. Frogs are amphibians.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Turtles are reptiles. Frogs are amphibians.

d'oh. yep. correct. [:I]

Ben