In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My Tipups

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited December 2006 in The Fishing Hole!

Comments

• RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RUGERGUNZ
    I am never able to leave well enough alone so I have "pimped" my tipups.

I started ice-fishing several years ago and was steered towards getting Heritage Laker traps. I found them to be great in every respect and did not need to be improved upon.

But......that didnt stop me ::)

Here is the pic of my tipups for this year.

TIPUP.jpg

I bought some solid plastic lumber and made the entire trap out of plastic. Probably actually poly-something or other but it is strong. I overbuilt the traps. So where the Heritage is 3/4x3/4 for the riser mine is 1x1 and the spreaders are larger too. All hardwared is stainless steel. The first trap I made was trashed because it took alot of tries to get all the new measurements right to get the trap to work correctly. I actually had these made for the last trip last year and the plastic was great in the cold, never brittle and the ice does not stick to it easily. Also the problem of the wooden spreaders warping is a thing of the past.

I know that only 5 tipups are allowed in Maine, but I have a sixth for a backup or to let a friend use.

The stick to the far right is 5 spare spools on another piece of plastic. If I break line or get tangled, I just change an entire spool and fix it at home where it is warm.

TIPUP1.jpg

If you look close in the above pic you can see my nametags.

TIPUP2.jpg

Above is a closeup of my custom nametags. I am a lobsterman and have a local engraver that can make plastic nametags in any color with any writing you want for cheap. I have my name and cell phone number on a blaze orange tag on all my traps and spool holder and even my packbasket. The tags are .25 each.

TIPUP3.jpg

A pic of my reflective flags for if I can get some nightfishing in this year.

TIPUP4.jpg

On the trap.

This is my newest creation. These are hole covers that are 12 inch diameter, cut to fit around the riser and cut around the greased shaft. I am hoping that this may keep snow out of the holes on those blowy days. They are black which should keep the holes from freezing up as quick as well. The material is old treadmill track from a dead treadmill.

TIPUP6.jpg

You may think I am done modifying but I still have plans ahead. One is to make the riser more visible from a distance so that it is not atv/snowmobile fodder.

I am thinking of painting the top 6 inches with my lobster buoy colors. It would be similar to this. Just upside down from this.

BUOY.jpg

The top 4 inches of the riser would be yellow and the two inches just below that would be red. I think that would be enough to get them noticed but not make it look like I had a :tipup:

Tell me what you think. Am I crazy, or a visionary ;)
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Hey Ruger those look really nice, of course I have not a clue as to how they work[:D]

Ya'll sure have some very different looking fishing equipment!
    Way foreign than anything us good 'ol boys down here use.

Bet your excited, I suspect it is getting time to use those contraptions. Be sure and post some pics of the fish, landscape, and anything (SNOW[:D]) to do with ice fishing up there in tha land of the snow God!

Good luck buddy, boy, I bet your excited! I know I would be...[:D][:p]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
    edited November -1
    Bloviator, yeah im excited. It will still be into January before it really gets going up here. Got to have good safe ice to fish on.

The traps are quite simple. There are three main pieces, a riser and two spreaders. They swivel to create a cross to go over the hole in the ice and leave the riser standing up. There is a greased shaft that goes down to the reel and up to the flag. When the trap is set, if a fish takes the bait (usually a live smelt or shiner) it will pull line off the reel spinning it. The reel hits the greased shaft which pushes the flag out of its holder. The flag is on a spring and will stand up. When you see a flag in the up position, you run to your trap and pull the fish by hand. The reel is just to hold the line and trip the flag.

If you look at some of the pics, you can make out some of what i am talking about.

I got them painted up all pretty today, here is another pic.

COLOR.jpg
  • PenscoPensco Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, I noticed that you had one of our synthetic Loring Pack Baskets. I was just wondering how it is working for you, and if i could get some feedback on the basket.

Thank you,
    Jesse Loring
    edited November -1
    Hey Pensco, small world sometimes.

I love this pack basket. I bought it some years ago at Van Raymonds in Brewer. They had 3 at the time and this was two colors, black and green and a little bigger. I forget what I paid them, but it was more than a conventional basket.

For me though it is well worth the extra price. Never have to worry about is soaking up water, it is tougher than others. Have had it fall off atvs full speed etc and it just bounces and rolls.

I have had people ask where to get them and could never tell them. Never seen them at Van Raymonds again and there is no name on the pack itself.

Do you have a website or list of stores you sell at? If I know where to send customers, I might be able to get you some business. I know I love my basket and would recommend it to anyone.

I have been thinking of getting another one. I have a new nephew that is 1. I want to outfit him with a packbasket and make him some plastic traps so when he is older he will be all set.

If you dont already, you should check out www.Iceshanty.com
    Great icefishing site and could probably generate some business.
  • PenscoPensco Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, ya it is small world.

Im glad to hear it. I know that my personal one i have beat time and time again, Hitting it with the atvs and trucks. Your right it does just bounce and roll!! In fact I haven't found anything that these packs can't take, execpt fire and extreme heat!

I don't have a website up yet, but feel free to call anytime. My number is 207-949-2397 we are located in Old Town.

For your nephew we also have different sizes too, but give me a call sometime and we can get together and go over the different sizes and colors and hopfully get you another pack.

Thank you for your feedback and i hope to hear from you soon.

Jesse Loring.