In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

12" "yo-yo" for 300 lb.test handline rig.

fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
edited February 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
I have the 110 yd. coil of 300lb. test mono., the 3-way swivels, 2lb. leads, 50lb. leader, and circle hooks. I just need to find the 12" yo-yo to spool my hand-line on. Anyone know where i can find one??

jeff
PS. I'm located in Palm Beach County Florida..

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take it you have already looked at cabelas and bp's yo yo's ?
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Yeah,,, nothin over 8". I stopped by a local bait shop here in West Palm, and the proprieter assured me he could order and procure me a 12".... Thanks 4 the reply anyhow..

Jeff
  • REX6666REX6666 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am full of questions about this rig you discribed.
    why use 50lb leader with 300lb main line
    what are you hand lining for
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Mainly fishing for bottom fishes,Grouper(BIG ONES)Snapper,Cobia,Etc.The 300lb. main line is thick, so when pullin hard, the line doesn't cut the hands.You still need to use thick cotton gloves.The 50lb. leader is so you can break it off if you have too.
    The reason i like the "hand-line" rig is, i can hook a very large Grouper and get him away from his rocky home on the sea-bed before he sticks his head in and flares his gill-plates.With the heaviest rod/reel rig you will not be able to keep it from "rockin'-up"Just the bend in the pole can be enough for it to get back in his rocks....

Jeff
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Now that sounds like fun!
  • REX6666REX6666 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yea i would be up for some of that, sounds like a great day,
    love to salt water fish, just live to far from it