In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cordless fillet knives?

bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
What's the best? Mostly for 5 to 10 lb. Snapper, Grouper, Kingfish, etc.

Comments

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I think they're a gimick. Unless you catch so many that it would take over 2 hrs. to clean with a regular good SHARP filet knife they may have some merit.
  • KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    electric fillet knives work great. i have one from rappala that will plug into a cig lighter, has an adapter for 110v, and it can hook up straight to a battery. personnally i think they are great.makes cleaning fish pretty quick.
  • bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rapala seems to be the only one out there. They have a cordless with a spare battery and also the electric model you discribed. How are they differant than the standard "turkey" electric knife?
    edited November -1
    i have wondered that myself. im guessing the blades are sharper. and the motors are probably gonna be longer lasting. I actually think the one i have is water proof. not sure tho. I bought it cause i like that i can use it anyhere there is a battery. If you wanted to fillet the fish while you were fishing you could.
  • redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked as a mate on a charter boat for a few years.When you clean 2-3 hundred pounds a day you really appreciate a good electric knife.We used knives made buy American angler.I'd burn up about a dozen a year but they paid for themselfs.
  • bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friend of mine says electric knife is a real save when he is cleaning Sheepshead. Tough scales.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Fine for cutting heads off, things like that.

Try cutting a fillet off anything smaller than mebbe 10 pounds with one though, in my experience they just fill your fillet with bones.

Give me a plain fillet knife any day, I can feel what I'm doing and cut down right along but not into the bones.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Fine for cutting heads off, things like that.

Try cutting a fillet off anything smaller than mebbe 10 pounds with one though, in my experience they just fill your fillet with bones.

Give me a plain fillet knife any day, I can feel what I'm doing and cut down right along but not into the bones.

what kind of fish are you filleting? i know with a catfish, i can fillet a barely legal channel cat (12in) and not mess it up. and i suck at it. they arent a really boney fish tho.