In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What si your favorite trout stream/river?

317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
Hello, mine I would have to say is the Madison River in SW Montana, I have caught more trout there than anywhere else. My largest fish was a 19 inch cutthroat trout caught on a #2 brass Blue Fox spinner. Have caught tons but the largest fish(15-19) have been browns and rainbows caught on larger Daredevil spoons as well as the Blue Foxes.

Have caught fish with the most frequency when the water is about 3400GPM, the fish have nowhere to go but up close to the bank, caught mostly on large spoons or spinners specifically the #2 Fox and Daredevil spoons. Later I will post some pictures of these fish &myself fishing.

ENJOY

Comments

• kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    San Jaun River,right below Navajo Dam,NW New Mexico.Some monster rainbows over 30"
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    The only two trout rivers I've fished were the Cumberland river in Ky and the Clinch river in TN. One of these day's I'm going to fish a real trout stream out west.
  • MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KUMATE AINT KIDDING ABOUT BELOW NAVAJO DAM. FANTASTIC. LIVED AT FARMINGTON AND AZTEC. ALSO BELOW THE DAM ON TABLEROCK IN MISSOURI. NOT AS GOOD AS SAN JUAN THO.
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    The Connetquot River on Long Island,NY (used to be my backyard) and the South Platte in Deckers CO.(where I fish now).
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    White River, Branson MO
    edited November -1
    Just got home from the San Juan.Fished in the second stretch where you can keep two,brought home a 34 in rainbow and a 30 inch brown.Lots of time to fish as oilfield is dead.Good eatin tonight.MOMMASBOY,if you come home for any reason give me a shout and we'll drown a worm or shoot some prairie dogs
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Eugene Or I'm surrounded[8D]
    Willamette, North, Coast fork.
    Mckenzie, Rouge.

Then lakes/Dams Big time.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    North Branch of the Potomac River at Barnum, WVA. The river is the border for Maryland and WVA so either state license can fish it. Year round fishing cold water throughout the year and some of the nicest Browns, Rainbows, Cutthroat in the area. Here is some pics of the fish from there.

fish6.jpg

fish5.jpg

fishBrownTrout.jpg
  • 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pic #1 looks like a female rainbow about to spawn.
    #2 looks like maybe a Brown about to give up his seamen?

Big fish but especially so since #1 looks like she is full of eggs.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by westernMDhunter
    North Branch of the Potomac River at Barnum, WVA. The river is the border for Maryland and WVA so either state license can fish it. Year round fishing cold water throughout the year and some of the nicest Browns, Rainbows, Cutthroat in the area. Here is some pics of the fish from there.

fish6.jpg

fish5.jpg

fishBrownTrout.jpg

Fished some of these same waters back in the 80s. Never got anything this nice but still got some keepers.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Fished some of these same waters back in the 80s. Never got anything this nice but still got some keepers."

I have never caught anything that big out of there either, Those pictures are of the biggest that have been caught there not fish that I caught. I have seen some very nice one's caught there though including the state record cutthroat trout. Rapala's are the lure of choice for most fishing for the big one's there. Rocky Gap Lake had a rainbow trout this year caught that was within ounces of breaking the state record so I believe there may be an upcoming picture of a new state record trout soon.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    are you guys really giving out your locations? :)

Sure I will even take you there.
  • hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use to fish the South Platte by Lake George when I was at Ft Carson. Now I fish the Rogue river in West Michigan.

quote:Originally posted by Sky Soldier

The Connetquot River on Long Island,NY (used to be my backyard) and the South Platte in Deckers CO.(where I fish now).
  • aeonsciiaeonscii Member Posts: 97
    edited November -1
    West bank of the Animas River in Durango Colorado, and for a while the La Plata river, some of you might think flyfishing is just to much work, but i'd have to tell you that there's nothing like it, it doesn't even compare to deep sea fishing out here on the West Coast there's just You and Mother Nature to deal with...
    edited November -1
    aeonsii,were you fihing below the hatcherie release?Caught some nice fish up towards Hermosa.Give me a holler when you have a chance to go fishing,I live about a hundred feet of the Animas in Aztec
  • aeonsciiaeonscii Member Posts: 97
    edited November -1
    Names Eugene. Hermosa creek's around there??? I got fly rods for a Joke, and never looked back. Maybe that's where this place is at?
  • crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine's the Ausable, no; the Mad,no; the Salmon, no; West Canada Creek,no; Silver Creek. Heck, they're all good.
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Missouri River in Montana. Provo River in Utah.
  • ginbudjimginbudjim Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Little Snake river at Three Forks Ranch on the CO/WY border (Savery,WY. Expensive but the best natural wade trout fishing you'll ever experience in the lower 48.
  • rkba4everrkba4ever Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Elk Creek in PA in march........
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything that drains into the Snake river upstream of the fork
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definately the confluence of the White River and North Fork of the White River in Arkansas. It's near Mountain Home, AR. The best trout fishing in the World!