In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone tie their own????

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
I'm going on a big crappie fishing trip in June and to Lake Reelfoot in September. I'm tired of using those crap lures from walfart or the local outfitter. I want some good ones.

I thought about buying some of these,
http://www.slatersjigs.com/Cajun-Spec.html

Anyone make their own? What do you use? Where do you get your supplies? Any good website or the like that you recommend?

Or should I just buy them?

Also, those people in Wisconsin....
I went on a crappie trip a few years ago in St.Germain, I found the best crappie lure ever up there. It was an 1/8oz pink head on a white straight plug tail. Very soft, we'd catch our limit on that, then take them back to the cabin, stick them on ice, then head back and fill up again. Everyday for a week. We just slaughtered them. I'm out of those lures and haven't been able to find them. Anyone know what I'm talking about or how to get ahold of them?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Probably not the norm, but I've caught quite a few crappie on gold/black
    rapala (5 and 7g) while bass fishing.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I'm no pro fisher but I never have good luck with lures for crappie. I always use live bait.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure what to use in june. Might try bettle spinners, I have had luck with them, yellow black works best. Small 1/8 I would also try minnow tipped jigs. The jigs I would use would be Northern spinner jigs with a bobber realed in slowly, they make them in sizes from 1/8 and up. I would also try some wax worms or the equivlent with ice fishing jigs. I have never had much luck with fuzzy jigs fishing for crappies in the spring or summer. Ice fishing though is a different story. Some people also have luck with grub baits tipped with berkley grubs. I have never used berkley grubs to give an opinion of. Fish at night, with latterns blazing, take bug spray and a thermacell.

Reelfoot is a nice lake, shallow as hell with lots of stumps. Do not take your own boat unless its a small outboard aluminum.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spryor
    Probably not the norm, but I've caught quite a few crappie on gold/black
    rapala (5 and 7g) while bass fishing.

Probably will not want to use these at reelfoot. Interesting to note though spryor, I am going to have to try that!
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I usually fish minnows when I fish Crappies but then again I don't go Crappie fishing as much as I used to.
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Cubslover-How was the fishing on St. Germain? My boss has a place up there on the lake and he said the fishing wasn't any good (I don't think he's really tried). I've snowmobiled up there and it looks like a good place to fish.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ljwrench
    Cubslover-How was the fishing on St. Germain? My boss has a place up there on the lake and he said the fishing wasn't any good (I don't think he's really tried). I've snowmobiled up there and it looks like a good place to fish.

We probably caught 100+ crappie in 5 days.

We were up there for a week, the first two days we didn't catch a thing. Then we went to the local shop. They had an entire display of those lures I was talking about. About 3/4 of them were pink/white. We bought a dozen between the two of us. Tied them on, then clipped on a bobber about 16" up and tossed them into cover. They ate it within 5seconds of being in the water. It was the best panfish trip I've ever been on. That was probably 7yrs ago.
    edited November -1
    cubs, did those lures you are talking about above come in little plastic tubes?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

YES!(caps from excitement, I'm not yelling at you) Individual tubes.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

YES!(caps from excitement, I'm not yelling at you) Individual tubes.

I will try to remember to take a picture when I get home.
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Good old natural live earth worms or some local live bait out of the water you are fishing are the best baits for anything there is.
    edited November -1
    Picture124.jpg
    Picture123.jpg
    Picture126.jpg

the mic is a 1-2 incher, so the total length is about 1.5 inches.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Minnows are great bait for crappies. Caught about 2 or 3 dozen with minnows in a few hours last time I went crappie fishing.
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    use crappie minnows..better yet "golden rods" which are like albinoish crappie minnows, but they are orangish/red...i caught about 3 billion crappies this winter on them.

throw one on a bobber and grab your beer....no sense in casting for them, waste of time.

if you can, go in the early spring when they are spawning.(shallow water..weeds) thats when you'll get the most/biggest ones, they are also 10x more aggressive which makes it effortless to catch them.

forget about the beer on that outing..you'll have to much action [:0]
    edited November -1
    Shoff.....THAT'S IT! I haven't seen them in years!

Where did you get them?
    edited November -1
    cubs - send you me your snail mail. they are a dime a dozen around here...(and yes, you'll get the cool plastic crack rock container) [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    cubs - send you me your snail mail. they are a dime a dozen around here...(and yes, you'll get the cool plastic crack rock container) [;)]

Oh man, awesome. I've been looking everywhere for them. What are they called?

Email sent.
    edited November -1
    what are they called?? i dunno....ill find that out as well...

email replied...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    Shoff.....THAT'S IT! I haven't seen them in years!

Where did you get them?

One of the local fishing stores I shopped at had them, actually it was the only store I shopped at. growing up by the best saugeye fishing and one of the best crappie fishing lakes in Ohio has its advantages. I also use them for ice fishing, tipped with a grub. I don't have a clue what they are called or who makes them. If MNhunter can get them easy enough then you should be good to go. If he can't, I will send my mom a picture and tell here to go by a couple dozen, i think they are about $1.00. I am low on my supply now, only have about a dozen pink/pink, 1 pink/white, 1 white/pink, and 1 green/green. Don't use them much now that I am not close to a water where they are useful. I also don't know any shop or store that has them here in town, but I haven't been through sportsmans massive array of jigs either, nor do I need to. [:D]

Here is what I have also had luck using.

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=55

and

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=167

both of those jigs I use under bobber and reel in slowly tipped with a crappie minnow.
  • 6rounds6rounds Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you ever fished crappie with a fly rod? If not your missing a ton of action. Here's my rig: 8'6" 4 wt rod , WF Floating line , 6' leader, about 4 ft of 4x tippet , #8 gold wire hook , Uncle josh's pork rind "fly Strip" . Cut the fly strip diagonal with a razor. No split shot , no bobber, Just let it slowly drift and sink about 6 -10 ft . Alot of the crappie in our local lake hang in canals and shallow flats where the water is warmer in the spring. I let the fly strip drop 6 or 8 feet , then strip it back 6" to a foot" with minute intervals between strips. Sometimes when they turn off from live bait and tubes, I knock em' dead , then everybody's trying to get a look at the set up. Try it, I guarantee you'l have a flyrod for back up on future trips.[;)]