In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mitchell 300

knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
Is the Mitchell 300 a good quality reel?

Comments

• edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thirty years ago.
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still better than the jap crap flodded on the market now days
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I have 5 Mitchell reels, all old. They are great reels.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can find an old Mitchell 300 made in France that is smooth when you wind it and the bail works like it should,it is one of the better reels ever made.Stay away from the made in China or Tiawan models.
  • EqualizerEqualizer Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a great reel Ive had one for years
  • ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better off to buy a shimano now a days.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I know, I know,most everybody hates flea bay...but, we are talking fishing here...and for the next few weeks, good deals to be had on reels. Ive been talking up Pinnacle reels, for durability, smoothness and PRICE. The price is secondary, a good reel is first. Go to ebay and look up Pinnacle reels...they will be going for 20-25%
    more as spring gets closer. Look for the ones that have at least 5bb's they go up to 10 now.

...I gaurantee you that it will hold up under big fish, and a lot of abuse...and it will be the smoothest, or one of the smoothest reels you have ever cast (baitcast). They are unbievable, try a good one and you will be hooked, I promise...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ghotie_thumper
    Better off to buy a shimano now a days.
    [:D][:D][:D][;)]
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great Reels. 6 of us all bought the same 300's years ago as we all fished together, had too many beers one day and it seemed like a good idea. 3 of us still using them. If you can find one buy it. Parts are becoming scarce however. Good Luck
  • ETECMANETECMAN Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 old Mitchell 300's (fr. made). Retired them for several reasons. Too slow of a wind. Secondly, I fish Okeechobee, Stickmarsh and Garcia in FLA. and St. Clair and Champlain in the north. Twice had big fish hit so hard they ripped the spool off the front of the reel. Get em in good shape, clean em up and retire them to a glass cabinet as mementos. If you want a high quality spinning reel now, change to the Team Daiwa series - they run about $130-$150. If you want to spend less, thry the new Mitchell - Cardinal 4 out this year. It may be a better reel than the original Cardinal 4 (the old green ones). Very nice at %50- top $60. Save the old Mitchells though and remember all the fish you caught on them when you look at them.