In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Alaska fishing! Post your experience...

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Anyone have the honor of angling in Alaska. Talk about Gods county. Took a 2 week trip a few years ago and hit the west coast around Kechican. Halibut, King Salmon, Silver (Coho) Salmon, Ling Cod, & some other good eating fish.

Yes Bay was one fun stop...

Any body else have a good Alaska trip? Please post...

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Caught a salmon by hand while rafting in/near Haines - just grabbed the tail and lifted.

Took a charter out of Ketchikan (sp?) to do some trolling, I missed 2 - never fished off a boat, esp. wiht a BIG weight on the end, tried fighting it like a bass on ultralight tackle. Wife caught 1, just under legal size. Couple we were sharing the charter with got 3 keeper size.

Did this while on a cruise for our honeymoon from Vancouver up the coast of Alaska and back.
  • 11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lived in Alaska from 78 to 83, loved to fish there! However it's not heaven! The fish-n-game there took lessons from the IRS and are real snotty about the laws there. Weight can't be closer then 18" to the hook, gap on hook can't be more then 3/8" ...can close the season with minutes notice. Bottom line the commercial fishing industry controls the law making on the sport fishing.
    But when things line up for you it is fun! Use to go to Russian river down on the Kenai Peninsula after work ...104 miles one way one way, 60% of the time we were skunked. But you can fish to mid-night because it's light there all night. Then I found a "local spot" Jim Creek up near Palmer/Wasilla area ...only 50 miles away. Kind of out of the way, but well worth the effort. Great silver salmon spot late August and early Sept. Net dipping Hooligan (smelt) in the 21 mile river in April was way fun. King Salmon fishing down at Ninilchik river on the Kenai Peninsula late may early June. Grayling fishing up off the oil road (now open to the public) at just about any river you come too. All great times! ...Just bring a bear gun with you! *G*
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have family that fishes up there often. My wife got to go for her 21st B-day (yes that was a while ago). They have tremendous fishing. They fish near Teneke Springs, and hit the Halibut, Salmon, and Crab. I hope to make it up there some day soon.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The waterfall fish camp was the other place we went for King Salmon Halibut, Coho, & Chum Salmon among others. Man that is some world class catching!
    40+ pound King Salmon are not uncommon and that is a nice fish.
    Came home with over 200lbs of vacuum packed filets. My neighbors were loving me.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had the chance to do some halibut fishing up there. What a blast! Wish I could have done some backwater fishing as well, but time didn't allow it. I will get back someday.

alaska105.jpg

Jon
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have caught a ton of flat fish (Halibut)from Ninilichik to the Barren islands by the Kennedy entrance,
    Kings and Reds on the Kasilof,
    Silvers on the Kenai and Little Su
    Kings on the Deshka, Indian creek and Lake creek hog line
    Dollies on Little Su
    Big Kenai rainbows in Skilak lake
    Char off east dock in Prudhoe

Alaska fish I haven't gotten, yet.

Big Sheefish out of Kotzebue
    Big Pike near Shageluk
    Ice fishing for Big lake trout in Lake Louise
    80lb king out of the Kenai
    Big Rainbows out of Lake Illiamna or Kvichak river
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    Had the chance to do some halibut fishing up there. What a blast! Wish I could have done some backwater fishing as well, but time didn't allow it. I will get back someday.

alaska105.jpg

Jon

Nice bunch of chickens, best eating by far
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dpmule
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322

alaska105.jpg

Jon

Nice bunch of chickens, best eating by far

They were indeed very good eating! [:p]

We didn't catch any monsters, but man was it fun and we caught a lot of fish! My hands were full of blisters and arms worn out by the time we got back to shore! [:D]

Jon
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I never been up there.
    The little flounder we get in the rivers here are mighty tasty too.I would think the HUGE Halibut are the spawners and oughtta be turned loose anyhow.
    With that many medium size fish around, i can't see killin any huge ones.
    Take a pic and let her go.It'll almost guarantee they'll be Buts around for your G-kids to fight.Unless The DEMS. get their way and stop SPORT fishing .( Comm. fishing will always exist.Their lobby hands out way too much cash for that cash-cow to ever go away)
  • drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    Best friend works at The Seward Resort. It's a DOD Halibut Fishing Resort for active and retired Military folks. Sends me some Halibut once in a while. No fish tastes better that Ive ever had.
    edited November -1
    If you want the taste of Alaska and willing to spend a little to get it,or can't make the trip then this link is the next best thing to going to "The Great Land".

http://www.10thandmseafoods.com/
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a bad deal if you consider the new shipping rules on airlines...
    quote:Originally posted by dpmule
    If you want the taste of Alaska and willing to spend a little to get it,or can't make the trip then this link is the next best thing to going to "The Great Land".

http://www.10thandmseafoods.com/
  • bulldog1935bulldog1935 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get to travel to AK on business every other summer or so.
    Since it is a business trip, I usually can't plan more than fishing at driving destinations, but I know the Russian River well enough to guide there.
    Here is a September rainbow and dollie
    fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg
    a king from last summer
    ewell08-1.jpg
    hooked up to a nice rainbow in Ptarmigan Creek
    ewell12-1.jpg
    too many good photos to post
    whatsup.jpg
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will never forget "snagging" salmon outside of Seward. Crazyist thing I've ever done you get a treble hook about the size of your thumb and cast it out and you yank and reel and yank and reel. The fish were running up the side of the lake so eventually you would snag one! Man did they fight because they were hooked on their back, this was legal btw..
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.