In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone Know Anything About Shad?

bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
I was wondering if they will come to a light with the surface water temperature being 43 degrees. I plan on trying to take some trout at night while we have some cold weather. I haven't tried to catch them with the water temperature this low. thanks

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...always just bought shad. I do know that you need to keep them in a well aireated tank...that is ROUND, no angle corners! If your holding tank has corners, they will kill themselves banging into them...not to smart I guess...[:0][;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah they apparently swim in circles. i know about all that, i just was wondering whether they come up to the light with such a low surface temperature. the light attracts plankton, which attracts shad, then the trout come to eat the shad. the bait shop stops selling shad about september, because people stop fishing and go hunting, and at the rate they die off, he would stand to lose a bit of money if he kept the shad for sale. so i am stuck there. thanks for the info, regardless. also, for some reason, people tell me that in a sqaure tank, when they bang their heads up the trout apparently wont hit them. i dont know about that, but i always used a round bucket, so i never had the chance to test the theory. if i can catch a night where there is little wind i am going to test it out to see if i can catch them. thanks
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Better off to mix wet oatmeal with sand, make balls to toss overboard,then wait a few min and throw the cast-net on'em..[;)]

Jeff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i will have to try that in the daytime. but at night, the light is great. just upgraded from 26,000 candlepower to 200,000 candlepower so we will see what goes on.