In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lake Ozark Fishing

Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in The Fishing Hole!
Went out tonight around 4 and fished until dark caught several keeper Bass on a Zara *. The fish were holding on outside corners of big boat docks but they had to have deep water under them 35 plus feet. Caught a few chasing shad in the same area. Water temp was 61 to 63 wind was very lite. I wish that I had gone out earlier as we had cloud cover much of the day. Didn't see any whites chasing shad tonight oh well much rather fish for blacks than whites. Last week I was catching lots of whites every evening but not tonight. I talked to a friend that fishes Crappie and he told me that they caught several limits of big Crappie this past weekend off of big docks also.

Catch Hogs

Comments

• Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went out last night and the dock pattern is still holding up. It is hard to believe being out in a boat in a short sleeve shirt the last day of deer season. The biggest problem was it was so windy the birds were walking. The weather is going to make a big change today winter is coming to town. Water temp was 61. I am still seeing lots of shad in the backs of the coves. With all of the bait fish the fish should have a banner growth year.
    edited November -1
    Last weekend the bass were hitting spinnerbaits and yes a buzzbait. This is always a good fall early winter pattern. I wanted to go out today but the wind is blowing about 25 mph and the temp is 38. In the middle of Jan I would think that was a heat wave and go out but it is darn cold feeling today. I have been told that the big Crappie have started hitting a suspending Jerk Bait. With the weather starting to get cold I am sure that the water temp will get into the 40's soon and when it hits the low 40's it is time to hit the lake.
    edited November -1
    Went out today around 3 it was sunny but cool 42. The water temp is 48.5 tried for some bass on a suspending jerk bait but no takers. I finally broke down and threw a tube in some brush piles and caught some real nice Crappie. I would only catch 2 or 3 out of a pile and then I had to move on. This seems to be the norm for me except in the spring when they are spawning. It was nice just getting out the fish was just a bonus.
    edited November -1
    Nice day today went out around 2 water temp 48.7. Fishing was better than yesterday caught several keeper bass on several diffrent lures and one you would never believe. Did catch a few big Crappie but they were harder to get to bite. Tomorrow I hope to be out again and plan on another fun day.
    If anyone is ever in the area give me a call. I usually fish just about ever day that is fit for man or beast.
    edited November -1
    50 Today outside I had to go fishing caught some jerk bait bass nothing to write home about size wise. We did catch some real nice crappie. The crappie are suspended over deeper water brush piles under boat docks. They are hitting tube jigs about 4 to 5 feet deep but real light you really have to watch your line. If I can catch them anybody can catch them as I am not a real good perch jerker.
    Water Temp 49.5 today and visibility about 3 to 4 feet. I did actually see some of the crappie hit the bait.
    edited November -1
    Went out Friday and had a great day that is until my partner threw his rod and reel in the lake by accident. It was the first really good quality rod and reel that he had ever put together. Now it is probablty hanging in some fishes house on the wall. As soon as it went kerplunk I marked a spot on the water it is funny how those x's on the water surface tend to go away. I use to keep a marker bouy on the boat deck to mark brush or in case of somthing like this. Wouldn't you know it directly under the boat was this huge brush pile and i am sure that it went right down into it. We pulled a metal stringer all around and never felt anything.
    I did catch several bass and one smallie. The smallie was the first one that I have ever caught here at the lake. I have seen them brought into a weigh in but they normally have come from way up the river.
    I wish I could go out this morning as the weather is going to change today and I think they would be all turned on. Oh well today we are have the family Christmas and I just might get a few new baits.
    edited November -1
    Went out today caught 5 good ones. I think that tomorrow will be better I just hope the wind settles a little. I like wind but it was so windy today the birds were walking.
  • MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELL liv2fish I HAVE GOT TO SAY YOU ARE A TRUE FISHERMAN TO FISH NOW. I LIVE HERE AT TABLEROCK AND ITS BEEN TO COLD FOR ME. TROUT ARE DOING FINE AT TANNEYCOMO THO. SOLD MY BASS BOAT AND I AM NOW LOOKING FOR A SMALLER FISHING BOAT. ALUMINUM 14,15 OR 16 FOOT. 10 HORSE OR LARGER. BUY OR TRADE SOME GUNS FOR ONE. THERE ARE STILL A FEW FISHERMAN ON THE WATER DOWN HERE. I AM STARTING TO GET THE FEVER TO GO THO. WONT BE LONG. KEEP IN TOUCH. LATER
    edited November -1
    Went yesterday and was going to go again today but the wind is blowing the tops off the whitecaps. I didn't do any good but really didn't give it the time it deserved. I have a trip scheduled for Thursday but the weather forcast is snow.I don't mind the snow I have really caught them in some big snow storms but I won't go if the wind doesn't slack up a little. They are pulling water about ever day now trying to get the lake to winter pool. This usually makes the fishing better when it settles down but they have dropped the lake about 3ft or more in the last couple of weeks or less. Just a little ice in the backs of the coves but not much. The crappie fishing has been great I was told especially just before sundown. How does this sound? Beer batter crappie filets served with banana peppers on french bread. Sounds like a good meal for superbowl.
    edited November -1
    Yesterday I went out in the afternoon for a little action. I caught a few bass and lost a real good one. Funny think most of them were foul hooked in the side of the face. I thought about a size and a color change but stuck with what was working lazy I guess. I think they were not really want to eat but hitting at it like they wanted to kill it. I did see several shad that were starting to die this is a good thing for the jerk bait bite. The water temp is in the mid to upper 30s and the you can see about 5ft deep. I didn't even start my big motor and stayed in my cove within eye sight of the house. I did see few fisherman Sat.and Sun. the ones I talked with had fair success. The skies were high on Sat. but cloudy with a sprinkles of rain on Sunday. I wish I could go today as today it is going to ba a great day. But again every day is a great day when you live on a lake.
    edited November -1
    No fishing today that is for sure. The sleet is coming down and the lake is freezing over. My house sits on the side of a hill Cardiac Cliff as I call it and there is no way possible to get up the drive or back up from the boat dock. We have really had a wierd winter this year and it has been far the least winter fishing that I have ever done. Spring is right around the corner.
  • MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well liv2fish getter ready. i usually get going big in truman first week in march. i live on tablerock but truman is my main water. sold my bassboat and am looking for a 15 16 ft alum. fishing boat. will do some gun trading for one. have looked at a couple. nothing yet. gotta hurry tho. size of motor does not matter al long as its good. get them jigs ready. yeeeee haaaaaa
    edited November -1
    The lake is high and very stained. This was the worse winter that I have ever had here at the lake. The spring fishing has been slow so far as the water temps are still in the 40s All we need is 10 more degrees and things should start happening . If the weather ever gets straight that won't take long. We have not hads any sun to speak of and it sounds like we are in for good one again today and tomorrow. the weather has me way behind at the race track also as we have already posponed our season opener.
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mommasboy,crappie are up in Navajo and the San Juan is high but fishing is good.Salmon at 3 colors warm weather is keeping them at turnover.8.65 largemouth caught at bass tournament 2 weekends ago.If you decide to come out west give me a holler and we'll drown a worm
    edited November -1
    WoW is all I can say the water has not cleared up but boy are the fish biting. I just went down to the dock and in less than a half an hour caught a limit (15)of great big crappie. If I can catch them anybody can catch them. They will really taste good tomorrow. To bad I don't have a mess of morels to go with them.
    Life is good when you live at the lake.
    edited November -1
    Took a couple out this morning and we caught at least 30 bass. No giants but lots of keepers. The man and his wife really didn't know much about fishing and he caught the biggest fish of his life. His wife must think that his well we won't go there because she guessed the fish to be 20 inches and it was barely 15. Oh well they all look bigger when you first hold them up. We caught them all on texas rigged lizards pitching to pee gravel banks with brush.
    edited November -1
    Have been fishing a little and catching too. The lake is higher than usual and stained(wonder why)I have been catching fish on a Chug Bug and a 10inch worm. I haven't caught any monsters but lots of keepers. Normally this time of the year you get beat to death by the big boat waves but the lake is really slower this year. Looking out at the lake this morning I have not seen a boat yet that is unreal not even one of thise jet skies. The gas crunch has been taken its toll here no doubt. It has affected the lodging business and all of the area restaurants are way down also. It will get a lot worse before it gets better.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the interesting postings.
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    Fishing is still super here at the lake. A Wed night tournament took a 5 fish limit weighing 25 lbs to win. Not bad for a 4 hour tournament. With all of the rain the lake has been staying full and they have been releasing water which makes the fishing better. 10" worms have been working the best for me. I have been fishing close to home because of the gas prices and the big boat wakes.
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I've got a buddy who fishes FLW and BM. Don't know if he is reading your posts but I told him he should take a look. Not sure when or if they are fishing there but I know they have in the past.
    edited November -1
    I enjoy helping others out it makes me feel that I am still ompeting in a way. I can't always tell them how to catch them but I can usually tell them how not to. When the plan comes together it can make you feel good. I really miss fishing tournaments it was a great time I met so many nice people. I really don't see how people can afford it now with the cost of things. Once again the cost of oil will kill another sport.
    edited November -1
    With all of the rain they have been pulling water constantly trying to keep the lake at summer pool.Pulling water moves the bass to the main lake points and when you find them they seem to bite real good. Big worms and Jigs are working best. I haven't been crappie fishing but someone told me today that you can catch them at night under lights.
    I told someone yesterday that fishing is not all about catching. It is time well spent enjoying all the good things in life. I know catching one is fun too.
    edited November -1
    With all of the brite skies and heat the fish are moving. They are still pulling a bunch of water however it seems to me that the fish are moving also. Maybe it is just me but the things that had been working for me are not working so good now. Big boat docks in deep water seem to always hold fish little ones mostly that will hit a Chub Bug. But the big ones they seem to disappear from me for a little while. It won't be long until they start chasing shad so I guess I can get some work done around the house. "NAW" Tournament weights are still close to 20lbs for a 5 fish limit. My son is leaving for Canada this Friday and he calls every day to remind me he is going and I am not. Man I really miss that trip there is nothing better than having a big Musky stretch your string.

Cach Hogs
    edited November -1
    The dog days are here at Lake Ozark. I have been out a couple of times and slow is not the word for me. Things will pick up as soon as the weather cools down and the water temp drops a little.
    My son got back from Canada he said the fishing was a little slower than normal. He caught his biggest Muskie within 20 minutes of fishing at his first stopping spot a 44inch. They caught several a day but the big boys never showed. He said the walleye fishing was great lots of big fish. He said it was a struggle to catch ones small enought to eat. They also caught lots of smallmouths.
    edited November -1
    Haven't been fishing in a while but this is my last weekend at the track so I will have more free time. Looking forward to the fall fishing as it can really be great. I have seen some balls of shad in the cove and it won't be long until things really start to happen. It will be tough to get in all of the outdoor fun.
    Bow Season
    Fall Turkey
    Great Fishing
    Gun Deer Season
    Work one or two days.
    Forget the work days "Lets Go Fishing"
    edited November -1
    The shad are really moving back in the coves but I have not seen anything busting them yet. It looks like the lake is covered with them. I fished last night from 5:30 to 7:30 and caught 5 bass one almost 5 lbs. I caught them on a chug bug off of big docks. I should of stuck with that pattern but went to the main lake and fished some brush with a worm and never got another bite. The night before I fished the back of a cove and caught several short fish. This is the start of somthing good as the fishing will only get better.
    edited November -1
    Looking out the back door this morning the lake surface is just covered with shad schools. I am sure that it looks like a buffet from down under to all the fish. I have got to fish about about everyday that I have been home and it really has been hit and miss. I had one great morning on a white spinnerbait caught 20 plus bass. nothing super big but a great time. The past few days have been the pits. I have caught very few bass and the ones I have caught are the size of a big minnow not that bad but close. I had a friend stop by the other night and he had sacked up the crappie real good. He told me that he had caught them on Road Runners over the top of brush piles. I have caught a few big ones while fishing crank baits but I have not tried to fish for them. The fishing will only get better and it can happen any day.
    edited November -1
    Good day yesterday!!! Went out mid day and caught fish until dark. The lake is clear and the fish are biting. The bass are on the corner of the docks and can be caught on crankbaits and spinnerbaits. Most are small fish but you do catch a good one once in a while. The crappie fishing is real good. I caught a limit of big crappie yesterday not even trying to catch them. I caught every one of them on a white Norman little N crankbait. When you catch crappie on a crankbait like that they must really be biting. I can't think how good someone would do that is a good crappie fisherman. They are on tops of the brush piles in 10 to 15 feet. I have got to figure out a way to go fishing today rather than working. White Bass are not doing anything yet but that can happen anytime.
    Things will only get better as the water temp continues to drop.

Catch Hogs
    edited November -1
    The fish are winning!!!!!! The past few days I have fishing with a guy that is fishing the Stren Series tournament here at the lake. They call it practicing I call it having a good time. The fishing is really kind of slow but yesterday we finally found the pattern. As I am sitting here I hear the buzz of the boats as the take off started at 7 am. I am sure that most of the boats are running up the lake towards the river. There is nothing quite like a 40 mile boat ride at 70mph to wake up a person up. As normal a cool front came in last night and will change things up a little but they will find them. I predict it will take 15 lbs a day to have a chance and big bass will go just under 7 lbs each day. I wish I could stick around for the weigh in but I am heading to Illinois for the Gold Crown Midget Nationals. It is terrible having bad habits that you have to take care of.I sometimes wonder when did I have time to work.

One of these days I am going to learn how to put pictures on here. I am computer challenged old man old school.

Have Fun
    Catch Hogs
    edited November -1
    The past few days has been so so. We have some cooler weather working in to the area and it is raining now by the buckets. I got caught out in it but it was worth it as the fish seemed to be turned on pretty good this morning. It is starting to look like fall around here.
    edited November -1
    Tuesday night I caught a round 20 bass had 4 keepers all on Zara *. Caught most of the fish on corners of docks but the keepers all came off of schooling fish that were chasing shad. The fishing will only get better as the fish are starting to finally go on the fall feed.
    edited November -1
    Little fish no problem big fish the going is tuff. I fished all afternoon and caught a few keepers on a Zoom Speed Worm in 20 to 25ft in brush piles. Fishing should be red hot but it is just not happening for me. I have fished for the past 4 days and nothing is coming easy. Tomorrow will be another day I guess that is why it is called fishing rather than catching.
    edited November -1
    Been fishing every day but with little fish success. I caught some whites and hybrids the other night as they were in the back of a cove chasing shad. Went back the next night and nothing happening. The wind had changed direction and blew the shad out.They have been dropping the lake every night and that is pulling the shad out of the coves also. With this last cold front coming through the fishing will get better I hope need the fall feed to kick in. Had catarac removed this week and my casting has been the pits. I have caught more boat docks than anything else. Probably should of stayed inside and laid on th couch but you know how that is. Won't fish for a few days now heading off to the woods looking for a deer.

Good Fishing
    edited November -1
    Still catching lots of little ones!!! Think I will go seer hunting instead. Probably get a little ones there too.
    edited November -1
    Back from the woods and ready to fish. Got a good eater saw several deer but they never showed until just at dark. The wind is blowing 30 today and the temp is not going to make the mid 30s.I think I will stay in the house and think about fishing. I need to go down to the dock and clean out my boat but that is not going to happen. Yesterday the wind was lite and it was 60 but I had to go out of town. Oh well tomorrow is another day!!!

Catch Hogs
    edited November -1
    Beautiful day here at the lake. Fished a Peanut and Jelly football head jig today and caught several bass. The biggest was arounf 3.5 lbs. the fish were holding on brush in 15-20 ft of water and eager to bite. The water temp is in the mid to upper 50s and they are dropping the lake quite a bit. They usually drop the lake around 8 feet each fall.The water is clear in some coves and stained in others. I did catch a few on crank baits but the jig was by far the best. I know several fisherman that have been catching Crappie pretty good. This time of the year they are suspended under the docks. You might fish 20 docks but then hit the mother load on one.
    Have a great Thanksgiving!!!!!!
    edited November -1
    I had another catarac removed and it has kept me in the house. I missed Muzzleloader season and I have not been able to fish either. I know that my wife will be glad to get me out of the house but I have a few more days before I can do anything. I was told that the reflection from the water may have help cause the problems so now that I don't have to wear glasses I will wear better sunglasses when I fish. I have seen a couple of boats out today but have not even talked to any fisherman.
    Have fun!!!
    edited November -1
    Had a hard time staying inside today. The weather was a little windy but the air temp was 50. The water surface temp is about the same. I went out this afternoon and fished for about an hour I caught 5 bass 3 were keepers 2 shorts and a huge crappie. I caught all of the fish on the Lucky Craft Pointer. I wish I had gone out sooner as the weather is going to change for the worse tomorrow. The fish were hitting in about 10-15 feet of water on the pause. This is the first time I have tried the jerk bait this season and it will only get better the next few months. I have heard guys are still catching fish on crank baits and spinnerbaits but I never even tried any of those today.
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep up this post Liv2, I enjoy it. Is your lake like those mountain lakes, deep and very clear? I fished at Lake of the Narrows in Ark. and it wasn't at all like our lakes I fished in Louisiana.
    edited November -1
    My insurance man just came over and he told me that he has been really catching the big crappie. This weekend the weather is going to be half way nice and I will have to go and try my luck. He also brought me a couple of mega bass jerk baits new colors. I better watch out my rates are probably going to go up.