In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fishin' Friday, 2006, Updated Saturday Action

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited June 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
We went to the annual Officer David Dickson Memorial Fishin' Friday event today. We took nieces Caitlin and Ashley, and godson Bryz'uan.

MVC-002F.jpg

MVC-012F.jpg

Lifestar had a helicopter on display, and later did some cutting up. Of course, Caitlin had to get in it.

MVC-009F.jpg

In this picture, co-worker Jamie actually has a fish on, but she didn't land it. She did land a couple, but after we had gone to the other side of the park to get a hot dog.

MVC-003F.jpg

Jamie and Traci. That is a pretty stout tackle box.

MVC-004F.jpg

Traci's son David Michael.

MVC-008F.jpg

David Michael managed to catch and land this red-eared turtle.

MVC-005F.jpg

Ashley and Caitlin fishing.

MVC-006F.jpg

Trying to interest Bryz'uan in fishing. He is a little young yet.

MVC-014F.jpg

Bryz'uan has had all he wants of fishing. See ya.

There were some serious big fish stocked. We had many broken lines and many thrown hooks. It was OK, though. The kids all had a good time.

Comments

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    On Fishing Friday, no one who caught a fish was allowed to keep it. It was strictly catch and release, and several fish were caught more than once.

We hooked some fish, but were unable to land any due to weak knots holding on hooks, and the lack of a landing net.

So, we decided to go back on Saturday, a little better prepared. I bought a landing net, and found instructions for an unbelievably strong knot on the internet.

MVC-002F2.jpg

Ashley, Dawnie, and Caitlin try their luck.

MVC-001F1.jpg

Here are the two channel cats we caught, in the ice chest. Sorry about the lack of action shots, but I had to help with the landing. Dawnie caught one, her first ever, and Caitlin caught one, her first "bragging" fish.

MVC-006F6.jpg

Fish laid out on the sidewalk at home.

MVC-003F3.jpg

Dawnie with her fish.

MVC-004F4.jpg

Caitlin with her fish.

MVC-005F5.jpg

Dawnie and Caitlin together with their fish.

I got a bite or two, but mostly stayed busy baiting hooks, untangling lines, and landing fish. [;)]

I wish there had been someone else standing by with a camera or video camera. Dawnie had NEVER caught a fish before, and this one, about a 10+ pound channel cat, put up quite a fight. She was thrilled. Hard to believe anyone, even a New York yankee, could have lived 37 years and had never caught a fish. [:0]

Not bad for the first time. [:)]

Caitlin had laid her rod down and went to get a drink, when it took off for the water. She had to grab fast to get hold of the handle before the whole thing disappeared into the pond. [:0]

BTW, dinner this evening features fried catfish. [:D]
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Looked like alot of fun.Those are some pretty nice lookin cats,someones eatin good tonight[:D]Nice pics Nunn.
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    NICE catfish !!
    Thanks for sharing the photos!!

Thanks---Peabo
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Look like some dandy's. Not anything much better eatin than a good
    mess of catfish..mmmmmm-mmmm-mmmm.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice Catfish?

Trilene Knot all the way!
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    I use the old standby-"fishermans knot"[:D]
    edited November -1
    I was using the Palomar knot, because people were telling me a clinch knot won't hold well on Spiderwire. It failed time and time again.

So, I looked on this knot-tying site and found the Jansik Special. It looked to be very strong and it is. I believe I will be using this knot a lot.

http://eaglespark.com/Knots/jansik.htm
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like you were well prepared for the second go. Nice fish. Given me the fever and nothing but rain in our forecast. Plus to many jobs I want to finish this summer. Thanks for the pictures.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link, David. Some nice knots on there.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...dang Nunn, I did not even get an invite....Your welcome to come to the ranch anytime...just em and we can work out a time taht works for both of us. Ector, just south of Bonham, is NOT that for form you...and you probably know how to get to Ector on the back roads...Nice fish...that there would make some good steaks, easier to cook that way when their that size...sure glad to see you fishing and posting here...and actually catching fish! Either that or your taking pics of rubber fish like those three stooges rubber chickens...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    Ector? You live there, or just visit? I would like to come up some weekend.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like fun!
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Nice cats!!! What'd you catch them on? Is dawnie going to be a fishing addict now?

Ben
    edited November -1
    We used some prepared stink bait made in little pellets.

Dawnie enjoyed fishing and wants to go again.