In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What do you guys use to catch.....

Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I've got 3 days off during the week this next week and intend to go fishing in one of the area rivers. Water doesn't flow too fast, it's not too deep. I caught a tiny smallmouth bass 2 weeks ago on an artificial grub jig. What other kinds of artificial baits have some of you used to catch smallmouths?

Comments

• remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here in the rivers of VA. where i fish, mostly smaller rivers, we take a couple float trips each year in our canoes... i like to use a tube bait, rigged texas style with a 1/8 ounce worm weight. Here i use a Zoom 3 or 4 inch camo tube or Gander Mtn. has the cheapo bulk ones and i use something with browns in it as well as golds... i've tried red flake and black flake but they bite better on gold flake... normally 10# line up to 17# line is what i use.... allso try buzzbaits.... a white or chartruese buzzking in 5/16 ounce works fairly well here when they're hitting top. Broken back minnows as well as #2 Mepps in line spinners work good too

hope this helps where your'e at...
  • Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using an ultralight rod and reel w/ 4# test in that river. I doubt I'd catch anything big enuf to warrant 10# line.
  • remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use the heavier line 10 and up because we do float, and with alot of rocks and laydowns in the river snags are common, the rocks will fray your line and you'll never know it till the time you lose the fish you didnt expect to be in that river. with the heavier line i can pull my lure loose most of the time and save my rig
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mainly use small inline spinners. Usually white in color or with some grey or black on them. They can be buzzed on the top or fished deep depending on water conditions and how the fish are feeding.

Another choice that works well for me are Small white jigs with black, white, pink or green heads depending on water color.
  • Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock23, you are on the right track. In 40+ years of fishing Ozark streams I have found nothing better than good old fashioned plastic grubs. 1/8th ounce heads fished on the bottom as slow as possible in the holes below rocks, riffles, etc. With a little practice you'll learn the proper way to drift the jig through these areas. Work the hole from the side or from downstream if possible. Dark colors seem best. Take a lot of them, they are easy to lose. Good Luck!