In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Oregon Coast Fishing

KaosKaos Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
edited April 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
I'm going on vacation on the Oregan Coast soon and would like to try some ocean fishing from the shore. I have never fished in the ocean and have no idea what to use as bait or fishing technique in general. Any info or direction would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• rudioredrudiored Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to Ifish.com and get into the salty dog forum or general forum and you will get all the info you want. A great bunch of people that are more than willing to help you out.
  • HobbitgalHobbitgal Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm,

The best fishing on the coast if you don't go on a charter is jetty fishing. Spinning rod with a jig can catch Rockfish, Ling Cod, and Salmon. If I remember right, start fishing the slack tide about a 1/2 hour before the start of the incoming tide. Spring is a GREAT time for Ling Cod. Check with the local tackle shop for hot colors in lures. I did best with red and black. We used our stiffer Steelhead rigs. 3 cranks and a twitch of the tip rings the dinner bell. Flashy spoons can work also, but I did better with jigs.

Be careful! Sneaker waves can wash your rump right off into the Pacific! Don't turn your back on the Ocean, fish with a friend or around others.

For Beach fishing, haven't done much of that, but you need a BIG surf casting Rod, and a lot of lead - Flounder and Surf perch can be had, using clam necks in the deep spots between sandbars.

Speaking of Clams - Don't forget to see if there's a minus tide for great eating Razor clams if the seasons open. Rent a shovel, don't use clam guns, they kill the fry with the suction - Steamed mussles are yummy too, check for red tide alerts.

Rent a couple crab pots and sit on the docks.

Always be sure to check the Fish and Game regs.

Hope this helps!

Hobbitgal aka Miss Fishwacker
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    hobbitgal has it right,although I would suggest you start
    with a charter. The ocean can get rough in the spring.
    Do a google oregon coast fishing. You'll find more
    info.than you need.
  • sandman69sandman69 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fish the jedy with sand shrimp